WCQ: Canada vs Bermuda - March 25th 8pm Eastern/5pm Pacific - Orlando FL

https://canadasoccer.com/news/canada-soccers-mens-national-team-to-commence-fifa-world-cup-qatar-2022-qualifiers-in-orlando/

Canada vs Bermuda - March 25th 8pm EST/5pm Pacific

Exploria Stadium Orlando Florida

(Why the CSA didn't schedule this match at 7:15pm EST instead of 8pm is beyond me! There will be an overlap with our Olympic Qualifying match which starts at 9:30pm EST, see: https://www.concacaf.com/en/olympics-qualifying-men/article/2020-concacaf-men-s-olympic-qualifying-preliminary-rosters-confirmed )

Now that we finally have a fixed game we need a thread for it!

The FIFA regulations can be found here:

https://img.fifa.com/image/upload/ytkbpnxyvcghx6bebesv.pdf

We will can have up to 5 subs through 3 opportunities. 

Anything generally related to other CONCACAF teams and WCQ in general can stay here: 

https://www.canadiansoccernews.com/forums/topic/76918-the-road-to-qatar/

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

FFS on the start time. Plus One Soccer is so damn cheap you still can pause or rewind live streams so we will have to either come into the olympic game late or leave the Bermuda game early. 

Although I think I have been able to watch one soccer on two different devices at the same time before? 

So... Cavallini up top then?

I still question whether all players listed in the preliminary OQ roster should be omitted from our speculation. All the players who miss out on the final squad would theoretically be available.

Nonetheless, I will do so until we get the final squad sorted out.

Goal Keepers - Borjan, Crepeau, Leutwiler

Defenders - Laryea, Johnston, Miller, Henry, Vitoria, Kennedy, Adekugbe

Midfielders - Osorio, Kaye, Piette, Eustaquio, Millar, Davies, Bustos, Wotherspoon

Forwards - David, Larin, Akindele

To explain some non-OQ omissions: Hoilett (injured), Cavallini (suspended), Arfield & Hutchinson (rested), James & Didic (not selected)

Edited by Obinna

Goalies: Borjan, Crepeau, Leutwiler 

Fullbacks: Laryea, Johnston, Adkugbe, Cordova

CBs: Henry, Kennedy, Miller, James, Vitoria

Midfield: Hutchinson, Eustaquio, MAK, Piette, Oso, 

Wings: Davies, Hoilett, Millar

FW: Larin, David,

yes I’m missing a forward. Yes it is “he who shall not be named in this thread” because he will be there for the game bs Cayman Islands

edit: Cordova could be replaced with Waterman

Edited by N1ckbr0wn

Bermuda know who they are.  They play the exact same way every single game.  They are pragmatic to the extreme.  They have their bunker and counter game down to an art form.  They will frustrate us. 

Their game, however, depends on their big man up top.  Nahki Wells is a damn good hold up man, he can be effective with little service and will finish his chances.  He plays for Bristol in the Championship right now and was previously with Burnley in the Premier League.  Based on his recent play with Bermuda, I'd go as far as to say he is one of the very best strikers in Concacaf.  In the past couple years he has scored against El Salvador, Costa Rica, Panama and Mexico.  

This will be a tight game regardless.  I would be more than satisfied with a 1-0 win.   

Edited by BrennanFan

7 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

I think losing home field advantage is actually a big blow, we play our best games in Canada!  Unfortunate but understandable.  Hope we are able to get some retribution for the last game at Exploria that a bunch of us attended!

I do find we play pretty well in the gold cup though. Hopefully this game has that vibe. 

Bermuda might be able to call their UK based players. UK has a 10 day quarantine but they also have an Elite Sportsperson exemption. 

I figure we should also be able to call a nearly full squad but may be forced to use additional domestic based players for our match against Caymans

Bermuda is prepping for this match with a camp and 2 friendlies in Florida (March 5 & 7). Opponents TBA

https://www.royalgazette.com/soccer/sport/article/20210223/kyle-lightbourne-finalises-bermuda-plans-for-florida-training-camp/

Manager is still unsure he will have his UK players 

Edited by narduch

1 hour ago, trc2014 said:

I think losing home field advantage is actually a big blow, we play our best games in Canada!  Unfortunate but understandable.  Hope we are able to get some retribution for the last game at Exploria that a bunch of us attended!

Going back to 2010, we have played 17 games in Ontario, 7 in Florida, 4 in BC, 2 in Quebec and 1 in Alberta.  So it is almost like a home game!

10 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

I've got a bad feeling about this game.  I watched all of Bermuda's games in the Gold Cup and Nations League.  They're no mugs.  Pace at all positions and a quality striker.  

Tbh if we lose its Herdmans head.

im a little worried about our MLS guys, just the fitness.

"I don’t see Herdman taking any gambles with his selection. These are the two biggest matches of his managerial career thus far. As others have pointed out Bermuda is a threat. "

If Arfield showed up at Florida, that would be a clear sign he is not gambling. 

Edited by lamptern

• Olympique_de_Marseille changed the title to WCQ: Canada vs Bermuda - March 25th 8pm Eastern/5pm Pacific - Orlando FL