Lucas Cavallini

section114row20

Time to watch our historic 2-0 win vs USA again.  Cavallini has shown up to every camp/match (other than the last) under Herdman regardless of the opposition. He plays with more Blood, Guts & Thunder than any other Canadian player on our current roster. Actions speak louder than words. As long as he is committed to our National team and performs, I want him there. Immature...yes, but his commitment is more important.

Darn I heard he just asked for a transfer to Atletico Ottawa … just kidding

When all is said and done, I actually don't care, as long as he suits up and scores goals for us.  What this does do, is confirm for me that LC is likely a bit of a meat-head without a lot of social savvy or intelligence. 

He should have anticipated -- regardless of what language the interview was in or who he might have thought the main audience was -- that his response would be viewed by many in a poor light, and not just fans, but presumably his new employers who have spent a lot of money banking on him being a special kind of draw for new fans:  a star Canadian striker.  Bad way to start a new professional relationship.

1 minute ago, MtlMario said:

Why do you think he's playing for Canada now?

I’m confused as to what you’re asking me here, I never once said I wanted to say fuck him and what was translated didn’t really bug me too much either. I’m an LC fan through and through, while I do agree it was a bonehead comment, I know his loyalty still lies with this country.

Traded his brain for muscles.

This is the sort of comment you see from teenagers. There's this mentality that being Canadian isn't "cool".

Really dumb thing to say when you play for a Canadian heavy team and at a time when we need to get rid of this kind of mentality leading up to hosting the world cup. It just puts him and Whitecaps in a awkward spot in front of the media. 

2 hours ago, grigorio said:

But Scott isn't an idiot and even if he felt such a thing clearly would have the understanding that stating such a thing as a leader on the team would be an idiotic thing to do. 

Not at all.  Having spoken to Scotty for almost an hour, he is very proud to wear the Canadian shirt and to represent this country.  Does he feel more Scottish than Canadian?  Most probably...but he's also a seasoned professional and smart enough to not say anything controversial.  

On Cavallini, I think he's just different.  The whole time I saw him in Orlando, he was with his peeps (friends/agent?).  Didn't seem to really mix socially with the others - you'd think him and Osorio might have related a bit.  But who knows what happens behind the scenes?   

2 hours ago, costarg said:

As a first generation, born in Canada, Canadian......  I can honestly say nothing makes me feel non-Canadian and not as accepted as being a soccer fanatic.  People literaly raise an eyebrow when they see me on this site or when I bring up soccer at work or when hanging out with friends.  I totally feel like an outsider whenever something soccer comes up.  That does make me connect more with my EU roots, even though I consider myself 100% Canadian.

I just don't understand how the radio can talk about last nights hockey game for 12 hours straight, followed by 12 hours previewing the next hockey game with maybe 30 minutes of other sports coverage.  I respect it, but i don't understand it or fit in. 

My goodness, where do you live? In Vancouver, my experience is no one "raises eyebrows" when I talk about soccer. It's almost like sushi; you have to like it in order to not be considered a backwards hick :lol:

So it isn't the Caps who hate Canada, just their star DP (who was born in the country)?

We need Cavallini for depth up front, for now, but if Larin and David continue to develop, then Lucas could easily find himself out of favour with Herdman, especially if he hasn't drunk the Kookaid yet.  (Hard to build team unity and a team mentality when your "star" striker refuses to buy in. Not saying he hasn't bought it--only conjecture--but you get the point.)

But bottom line: How stupid can the guy be?  He has just signed for a Canadian squad and plays a critical role for our National Team!!  He has clearly had very little, if any, PR training before coming to the Caps. You never say dipshitty stuff like this to ANY media. I don't care if his self-esteem is such that he cannot say to Spanish-language reporters:  "I am happy to be going home to Canada, thrilled to start a new adventure with a great club in Vancouver, but a big part of me will always be Latino. I loved my time playing in Uruguay and Mexico; these countries will always have a special place in my heart."  

Davies, even when he was 17, was more media-savvy than Cavallini at 26!!  Turns out you can't teach speed or intelligence.

Guys I don't think Cavallini is unintelligent based on his comments.

He just doesn't care.

There is a difference.

I mean, he cares enough to set the record straight with a tweet afterwards, clarifying where he stands to those of you who think he's ready to burn his passport or something. 

But he doesn't care enough to play the media game of "give an answer that doesn't offend anyone". It is a game we see all too often with professional athletes. Some call it media savvy, but it can also be boring.

If he didn't say what he said this fourm would be a more boring place today as well. Just sayin...

I get what you're saying Obinna, but for me it's not that I want boring dry toast cliche-type answers from him.  I'm just surprised that having just been signed by a Canadian club, he would -- in one of his first interviews before even stepping on the pitch -- tell the assembled media that he doesn't feel Canadian.  From a professional self-preservation point of view, it's head-scratching.  Maybe he doesn't care about ingratiating himself to fans or even team-mates, but surely you don't want to piss off your employer on day one.  That to me says either meat-head, or a**hole.  Either way, I'm a little disappointed, though not enough to be sad when he pumps in goals for us.  Same as Occean vs let's say Hume.  One is a jerk (by all accounts), one is solid.  I like one better, but I like when either of them score.

Edited by shorty

Just to clarify, the full quote is actually, "I am 0% Canadian. I was just born here. I think in Spanish; my culture is Latino. Still, I am proud of my national team and am looking to make history with my country."

Doesn't sound as bad in the context of the son of South American immigrants who left Canada as a teenager and has spent more than a decade living in Argentina, Uruguay, and Mexico. A bit dense? Yes. However, taken in full context, and considering that he's laughing and smiling as he says it, not as big a deal as some are making it.

47 minutes ago, shorty said:

I get what you're saying Obinna, but for me it's not that I want boring dry toast cliche-type answers from him.  I'm just surprised that having just been signed by a Canadian club, he would -- in one of his first interviews before even stepping on the pitch -- tell the assembled media that he doesn't feel Canadian.  From a professional self-preservation point of view, it's head-scratching.  Maybe he doesn't care about ingratiating himself to fans or even team-mates, but surely you don't want to piss off your employer on day one.  That to me says either meat-head, or a**hole.  Either way, I'm a little disappointed, though not enough to be sad when he pumps in goals for us.  Same as Occean vs let's say Hume.  One is a jerk (by all accounts), one is solid.  I like one better, but I like when either of them score.

I don't think his employer is going to care so long as he delivers the goods. Again, his personal identity is his own business. If he wants to be blunt that is his own business too. He hasn't said anything negative about the league, the club, or the city. 

I also don't think this is an indication of how or if he will integrate with his teammates. @JamboAl shares an interesting story about his observations of Cavallini in Orlando, and honestly it doesn't surprise me, but in terms of integrating with his team I don't think there will be a problem. There was never a problem with him integrating at his previous clubs. The majority of his teammates are either Latino or Canadian, and he is both.

Kinda like Cristian Gutierrez, right? ;)

Finally, I get your disappointment. Nobody wants to be a fan of a meathead. If you want advice to alleviate the disappointment, I would say look at the full quote provided by @SthMelbRed, consider the context he describes below, and put yourself in the shoes of Lucas. Hopefully that changes your perspective on it!

I think this is a case of Lucas just interpreting the question/situation a bit differently than most of us here.  When he refers to being 0% Canadian, I think he means as it relates to "Canadian" culture.  You know, the stereotypical poutine-eating, toque-wearing, Tim Horton double-double drinking ultra passionate hockey fans.    He sees himself as 0% THAT guy. 

That does not necessarily mean that he isn't a proud Canadian!  I think this is a bit more nuanced than that and not at all a black and white scenario.

Then again, this is just the opinion of one very proud (hyphenated) Canadian.

2 hours ago, Acid-Tone said:

I think this is a case of Lucas just interpreting the question/situation a bit differently than most of us here.  When he refers to being 0% Canadian, I think he means as it relates to "Canadian" culture.  You know, the stereotypical poutine-eating, toque-wearing, Tim Horton double-double drinking ultra passionate hockey fans.    He sees himself as 0% THAT guy. 

That does not necessarily mean that he isn't a proud Canadian!  I think this is a bit more nuanced than that and not at all a black and white scenario.

Sure, fair enough, especially if we pull out the clichés about Canadian culture. Hell, I was born here and I have lived here for nearly five (shudder) decades, and I do not identify with the stereotype you spelled out above. 

And yet, the lad could have been a bit wiser about his PR, no?

12 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Just to clarify, the full quote is actually, "I am 0% Canadian. I was just born here. I think in Spanish; my culture is Latino. Still, I am proud of my national team and am looking to make history with my country."

Doesn't sound as bad in the context of the son of South American immigrants who left Canada as a teenager and has spent more than a decade living in Argentina, Uruguay, and Mexico. A bit dense? Yes. However, taken in full context, and considering that he's laughing and smiling as he says it, not as big a deal as some are making it.

Again.....

20 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I think Cavallini fits into the definition of Don Cherry's "you people" comment.  Nothing racist about it, just simply ignorant people who benefit from the country and then turn around and say they're not Canadian.

If you think there was “nothing racist” about Cherry’s rant, I’ve got some oceanfront property in Saskatchewan to sell you.

9 hours ago, Acid-Tone said:

Lol except that in the  Lucas lands in Vancouver videos from the signing announcement both days the club staff brought him Tim Hortons so he’s gotta be at least 5-10% Canadian right there if not more. 

If he is not Canadian then I guess his kids cannot qualify either. Or is he desperately getting their passports in order these days, so they can be schooled in Canada?

The comment is stupid and I find it offensive, and I have plenty of "Spanish" speaking sympathies. And it is hypocritical because I am sure he is making the move now to Canada for his family, who are going to live like kings in Vancouver.

I never posted this: last summer I went to a Caps game and the person I was with, who is on this board sometimes, said hey, that must be Erice's family. A woman and two kids the right age all wearing Erice shirts, playing in the Terry Fox plaza in front. So I spoke to her in Spanish, and frankly, this woman was a total dolt. All she could say was that she wanted the warm weather to set in. It was July and in the low 20s. I asked her daughter if she was keen to get to school and learn English, and she was--that 8 year old was clearly smarter than her mom. 

But hey, you don't marry a footballer thinking he'll ensure a quality education for your children. I hope Cavallini and his wife are slightly less embarrassing than that.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

2 hours ago, RS said:

If you think there was “nothing racist” about Cherry’s rant, I’ve got some oceanfront property in Saskatchewan to sell you.

What irked me was that he had his poppy stuck on his lapel by the make-up people, it was exactly like all the other announcers'. Meaning he did not even pay for it himself, it was given him. What he was wearing as he sat there with it on was company policy, not a personal decision.

And then, someone with his income--if I buy one he should be buying 15, 20. Which of course he never did. So apart from xenophobic his rant was pure hypocrisy, he did not buy his own poppies, did not spend a proportional part of his income on them, did not use his media power to really defend our veterans, forgot that we have a sad history of Legions discriminating legit veterans for race and religion, but still felt it was his right to preach about others. 

That said, if either Cavallini and Cherry were "a bit more Canadian", both would have a better idea of measuring public statements and not coming across as insensitive.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist