Lucas Cavallini

section114row20

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I hope he bangs in a boatload if goals for us, but I pretty much stopped giving a **** about him as a person.  This is the first time I have checked in on the thread  no since reading that he made the comment.  As far as I am concerned, its great that he can score goals for us, but he lost me as a fan.  

On 9/30/2014 at 3:44 PM, the Humberlands said:

Well there's gratitude for you. A guy who is busting his butt and risking injury to play for Canada and this is how some react!

That's a very disappointing attitude!

Sure, he didn't handle that moment well. He was naive but he still deserves thanks for putting out for Canada.  

Don't you think there's also selfish reasons why he's playing for us? Maybe something like it's his only chance of being in a World Cup? Just saying. Like I said in an earlier post, he lost some brownie points with me also.

19 hours ago, dbailey62 said:

Well there's gratitude for you. A guy who is busting his butt and risking injury to play for Canada and this is how some react!

That's a very disappointing attitude!

Sure, he didn't handle that moment well. He was naive but he still deserves thanks for putting out for Canada.  

He declined calls for ages until it was clear to him that returning to MNT could benefit his club career. He has parlayed MNT 2017 Gold Cup showing first from Uruguay to a bigger contract in Liga MX and now strong MNT performances have played a big role into DP $$ in MLS. Now that he and his family are “set” let’s see if he accepts call ups every window (presuming form justifies it) or picks and chooses when it suits him. If he accepts every call moving forward, then I think it will reveal more about his affinity for Canada (and Herdman perhaps) than it has in the past. Cynical post perhaps  but the next 2 windows of playing friendlies will reveal a lot I think about how he feels about Canada and his MNT teammates. 

I don't know, seems like we're cherry picking information and making more of this than it actually is.  We gotta get over it at some point.  The guy was still a kid when he left, he matured and grew up in South America in a South American family and surroundings, its only normal he feels Latin.

Lots of other obvious and well documented factors played into him playing and not playing at different times for CANMNT (the 7-0 loss & Floro).  No one can deny Lucas has always been direct and honest when asked questions.  I don't feel its fair to assume anything here. 

Maybe Cavallini can't stand hearing himself lie and feels the truth is better. But even when you're talking about your club team, you have to give lip service to loyalty. No one likes a mercenary. It bursts the bubble of our "imagined community", especially when it comes to countries. At the very least you can be honest about how close you feel to it while praising the opportunities its given you.

23 minutes ago, costarg said:

I don't know, seems like we're cherry picking information and making more of this than it actually is.  We gotta get over it at some point.  The guy was still a kid when he left, he matured and grew up in South America in a South American family and surroundings, its only normal he feels Latin.

Lots of other obvious and well documented factors played into him playing and not playing at different times for CANMNT (the 7-0 loss & Floro).  No one can deny Lucas has always been direct and honest when asked questions.  I don't feel its fair to assume anything here. 

Excuse me but it was 8-1. Give credit where credit is due😎.

3 hours ago, soccer.shocker said:

He declined calls for ages until it was clear to him that returning to MNT could benefit his club career. He has parlayed MNT 2017 Gold Cup showing first from Uruguay to a bigger contract in Liga MX and now strong MNT performances have played a big role into DP $$ in MLS. Now that he and his family are “set” let’s see if he accepts call ups every window (presuming form justifies it) or picks and chooses when it suits him. If he accepts every call moving forward, then I think it will reveal more about his affinity for Canada (and Herdman perhaps) than it has in the past. Cynical post perhaps  but the next 2 windows of playing friendlies will reveal a lot I think about how he feels about Canada and his MNT teammates. 

I found his goal vs. the US last year pretty well made the case for his affinity for Canada cut and dry.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

4 hours ago, MtlMario said:

Don't you think there's also selfish reasons why he's playing for us? Maybe something like it's his only chance of being in a World Cup? Just saying. Like I said in an earlier post, he lost some brownie points with me also.

Don't you think that just maybe, every player on the team wants to play in a World Cup?

Just saying!

3 hours ago, Lansdude said:

Maybe Cavallini can't stand hearing himself lie and feels the truth is better. But even when you're talking about your club team, you have to give lip service to loyalty. No one likes a mercenary. It bursts the bubble of our "imagined community", especially when it comes to countries. At the very least you can be honest about how close you feel to it while praising the opportunities its given you.

So you are saying that some fans prefer mercenaries who lie to those that don't, and those are the good mercenaries. Because they hide the reality from fans, who are too sensitive to take the truth?

In Canada we forget we are a losing soccer nation, then go about slagging our players from this same losing mentality. Beggars can't be choosy.

I personally just take it that a huge percentage of players are pretty ignorant and, of course, uneducated, and have no control over what they are saying. The best player in the world is a dolt, and the second best, not the brightest. Every so often one comes along who can talk, but it is like 10-15%. They are not even able to analyse the games they just played. Compare that with the tennis pros, I was listening to Nadal today and he analysed the game point by point, it was a technical analysis of the Krygios match in detail. Rarely I've seen a footballer do this.

Then fans come along expecting something else.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

On 1/27/2020 at 6:14 PM, dbailey62 said:

Don't you think that just maybe, every player on the team wants to play in a World Cup?

Just saying!

Of course they do but what I meant was if we we're  NOT hosting 2026 maybe he would't be here. Who knows. just saying.

Edited by MtlMario
missing word

6 hours ago, dbailey62 said:

We've got 2022 to work towards first. One bad injury and anyone of those guys careers are over. I don't think anybody is banking on 2026 although they'll be hoping. 

Six years is a long ways away.  

8 years ago was the worst day in Canadian soccer history

• 3 weeks later...

I feel bad for this guy.

I know it's only the first game of the season. I knew the whitecaps would struggle to get Cavallini the ball, but I never envisioned it being that bad. The whitecaps were absolutely dreadful. Lucas was an island on his own. And it wasn't just him, Freddy Montero didn't get any of the ball either. The whitecaps seem to have no defined way of playing. All the players hold on to the ball for too much, or are not on the same page in general. I like Marc Dos Santos, but his group play with no believe and no confidence. I hate that Lucas Cavallini is in this situation, but that's what he signed up for. The few chances he had could have gone better for sure, but if this is how the season is going to go I think Lucas is going to want to jump ship and I wouldn't blame him. The players around him are just not good enough. The French-Serbian did well and the Colombian winger did well at times, but there was no coherency in the attack, just players doing their best to create chances as individuals. Things don't look good. 

Edited by Obinna

Yea wasn't surprised to see Cavallini starved. I was actually laughing at how it looked at times for the caps. Like @Obinna said, it looked like they had no plan of attack. Route one football that would benefit Ricketts chasing those balls.

Ughhh sigh, it's a long season... I hope things will be better for him. 

On a side note Rusty was a bright spot. 

4 hours ago, Mister99bottles said:

You know MLS has it's well-deserved reputation of being a crappy retirement league that's non-competitive and amateur skill level so Cav made a mistake with this move. Why didn't CPL get him? He'd be great for Forge or York 9.

Welcome back tg11!!

Edited by Alex1775