Lucas Cavallini

section114row20

7 minutes ago, JuicyHam said:

Yeah even a guy like Juan Cordova who is barely connected to Canada says he feels Canadian and would be proud to represent us and that's a guy who is not very close to the national team. Cavallini is an automatic call and is an important player to this team. It'd be nice if he at least acted like he cared about Canada

So that we all feel warm and cozy and can sleep easy at night? Look at the smile on his face. He knows what is saying is controversial, but he stays true and says it anyways, because that is who he is. I respect that.

He identifies as Latino. That doesn't make him not Canadian. He isn't renouncing his passport.

Welcome to multicultural Canada everyone! The reality is that our country is full of Canadians who identify with other cultures. 

Multiculturalism is a double-edged sword.

Edited by Obinna

42 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

How is this guy so dumb?  It's one thing to say such comments in South America and think you can get away with them ... but now here?

How are you 0% Canadian you clown?  Do you really not understand what being Canadian is?

You may call it dumb. I find it to be refreshing that an athlete can be open and honest when he knows he will get flack from some people.

He will surely lose fans over it, but he is not here for a popularity contest. He is here to score goals and perform at his best level as a soccer player.

The only thing about Cavallini saying he's not Canadian that would worry me is if it turns into him not playing full tilt for the NT, and under Herdman I strongly believe that if you are not fully committed he would drop you. Cav has had a checkered past with the NT and his commitment to it, and even if he says it's got nothing to do with Canada and that it was personal reasons, I would be lying if I said I wasn't concerned.

That being said, no NT player shows more passion for the game than this guy (except maybe another 'non-Canadian' - Scotty Arfield). I would guess Cavallini and Canada are a marriage of convenience of sorts. I think he likes playing internationally and realizes Canada was/is his only option, and at the same time the only way he knows how to play is 100% commitment so even if he doesn't 'feel' Canadian he can't help but give everything to the cause.

Last bit: I do think it's pretty tone deaf to say something like that in a presser for your new Canadian team. You don't have to lie but you also don't have to be so blunt (DISCLAIMER: I have not seen the interview nor do I speak Spanish).

22 minutes ago, Obinna said:

And I don't really care how he feels as long as he shows up when available and does well and scores goals for us. How he chooses to identity as a player and a person is his own business.

How do you think that jives with what Herdman's been trying to instill in the group? Pride in the flag, the shirt, brothers, etc... Then you've got your main striker coming out and saying he's 0% Canadian. Regardless of the context, he's gotta be smarter than that. 

@youllneverwalkalone said it best, that identifying yourself by your family's culture and background is what Canada is all about.  Personally, I love that our National team is represented by so many countries and so many cultures.  Canada is a tossed salad of cultures and its what we represent as a country.

I'm not too upset because if he had worded it something along the lines as "Being Canadian is me having the ability to feel 100% my culture (Latino)" then we would all be in agreement with his statement.

Edited by Corazon

Not going to read too much into his comments.. Canada is a Cultural Mosaic. Meaning all Canadians are allowed to identify as their culture AS WELL as be Canadian. Different from our American counterparts, which is a cultural melting pot, meaning you’re American FIRST over everything. It’s a part of being Canadian, and IMO, one of the best parts of our country. As long as he keeps accepting call ups, and banging in goals for the Caps and Nats, I’m happy. 

I think Cavallini fits into the definition of Don Cherry's "you people" comment.  Nothing racist about it, just simply ignorant people who benefit from the country and then turn around and say they're not Canadian.

Oh, but I'm sure when a Drake song is playing somewhere foreign and he's rapping about Toronto, Cavallini is jumping up and down telling everyone he's from there... typical clown.

Edited by CanadaFan123

Everybody in Canada know people like this in Canada. They try a little too hard to distinguish themselves from everyone else by overly identifying themselves with other cultures typically of their families. Some people get carried away and not to play arm chair psychologist is usually a result of deep insecurities. I think Lucas has always had this chip on his shoulder and seems a bit immature. I think he's going to love playing in Canada and his family will love Vancouver. I'm pretty sure soon enough he'll feel at least 1% Canadian which is good enough for me. Hopefully this comment doesn't mean he looses this domestic spot on our roster. That's a joke

Edited by SpursFlu

Fuck him.  I'm out.  I hope he never sees the pitch again for Canada.  This is some straight up Hargreaves crap.

Everyone here bending over backwards to justify his comments, talking about Canada's cultural mosaic and context and whatnot, better not sound a peep the next time a Canadian decides to play for another country.  There are plenty of people who identify as a specific culture but are still proud to be Canadian.

Edited by El Hombre

6 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

**** him.  I'm out.  I hope he never sees the pitch again for Canada.  This is some straight up Hargreaves crap.

Everyone here bending over backwards to justify his comments, talking about Canada's cultural mosaic and context and whatnot, better not sound a peep the next time a Canadian decides to play for another country.  There are plenty of people who identify as a specific culture but are still proud to be Canadian.

just curious. why does this get under your skin so much? If he plays for us he's clearly committed to the team. And thats all that really matters.

He hasn't lived in the country since his teens. I haven't lived in canada in over a decade and can certainly understand the fluidity through which you begin to see your own nationality. You can't assume everyone in the team feels Canadian. Or do you think that they should?

Asking honestly.

As a first generation, born in Canada, Canadian......  I can honestly say nothing makes me feel non-Canadian and not as accepted as being a soccer fanatic.  People literaly raise an eyebrow when they see me on this site or when I bring up soccer at work or when hanging out with friends.  I totally feel like an outsider whenever something soccer comes up.  That does make me connect more with my EU roots, even though I consider myself 100% Canadian.

I just don't understand how the radio can talk about last nights hockey game for 12 hours straight, followed by 12 hours previewing the next hockey game with maybe 30 minutes of other sports coverage.  I respect it, but i don't understand it or fit in. 

Would people have the same reaction if Arfield said: I feel 0% Canadian, my mum and dad are British, etc.?

I think not, because there is an expectation that when you grow up in Canada, you assimilate. Scotty grew up in Scotland so he gets a pass. Cavallini doesn't.

That said, when you can grow up in Canada, especially in a major city, you can choose to stay in your sub-cultural bubble, be it Latino, Chinese, African, etc.

We all know this to be true, but we get upset when someone like Cavallini speaks to that truth? It is interesting...

Edited by Obinna

21 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

**** him.  I'm out.  I hope he never sees the pitch again for Canada.  This is some straight up Hargreaves crap.

Cavallini? I bet he felt proud to be Canadian when he scored against the Americans in Toronto, his home city. 

;)

6 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Would people have the same reaction if Arfield said: I feel 0% Canadian, my mum and dad are British, etc.?

I think not, because there is an expectation that when you grow up in Canada, you assimilate. Scotty grew up in Scotland so he gets a pass. Cavallini doesn't.

That said, when you can grow up in Canada, especially in a major city, you can choose to stay in your sub-cultural bubble, be it Latino, Chinese, African, etc.

We all know this to be true, but we get upset when someone like Cavallini speaks to that truth? It is interesting...

But Scott isn't an idiot and even if he felt such a thing clearly would have the understanding that stating such a thing as a leader on the team would be an idiotic thing to do. 

28 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

While I applaud and respect your Canadian Nationalism, we sadly do not have the scoring depth to say “fuck him” to our #1 striker 

Saying you feel 0% Canadian when you were born in Canada, lived there for 16 years, play for the national team, have family who live here and you now live here and the team that just signed you did it under the context that you are a Canadian. Then you go and say you feel 0% Canadian when Canadian soccer fans already have to put up with constant disrespect from abroad but here in Canada basically on a daily basis. It's kinda feels like he's embarrassed of us. He's embarrassed of being Canadian. 

I'm practicing forgiveness because I think he will see the light and I'm trying to put as much positive energy out as possible but I can understand completely why this comment stings Canadians and Canadian soccer fans because make no mistake about it. Regardless of what Lucas would like to believe, he is far from being 0% Canadian

Edited by SpursFlu

Just now, SpursFlu said:

Saying you feel 0% Canadian when you were born in Canada, lived there for 16 years, play for the national team, have family who live here and you know live here and the team that just signed you did it under the context that you are a Canadian. Then you go and say you feel 0% Canadian when Canadian soccer fans already have to put up with constant disrespect from abroad but here in Canada basically on a daily basis. It's kinda feels like he's embarrassed of us. He's embarrassed of being Canadian. 

I'm practicing forgiveness because I think he will see the light and I'm trying to put as much positive energy out as possible but I can understand completely why this comment stings Canadians and Canadian soccer fans because make no mistake about it. Regardless of what Lucas would like to believe, he is far from being 0% Canadian

good take. i hadn't thought of it like that.

13 minutes ago, Obinna said:

If I had left Canada when I was a teenager to live in Poland, I would likely be saying right now that I don't feel Canadian. I don't know about 0% Canadian, but yeah.

I used to identify as Polish-Canadian, now I would say I am a Canadian with Polish heritage. I don't know what changed this, but I think it was just growing up, generally. Being different was 'cool' when I was young, and while I still feel Polish and not Canadian in certain contexts, I wouldn't ever again call myself a Polish-Canadian.

National identity is odd in Canada. People say it's great, but not always. I don't remember ever being bullied or made to feel weird about speaking another language or having a bit of an odd name. In fact, I liked the curiosity. But as I grew up I found people making determinations about me, even if they were subconscious/innocuous. I didn't want my identity to be "that Polish guy" because then it's harder for people to view you as "that smart guy, that generous guy, that funny guy" etc. Many times, despite liking the attention of being different, I just wanted to be viewed as normal.

4 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Saying you feel 0% Canadian when you were born in Canada, lived there for 16 years, play for the national team, have family who live here and you know live here and the team that just signed you did it under the context that you are a Canadian. Then you go and say you feel 0% Canadian when Canadian soccer fans already have to put up with constant disrespect from abroad but here in Canada basically on a daily basis. It's kinda feels like he's embarrassed of us. He's embarrassed of being Canadian. 

Couldn't have put it better myself.

4 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

Can someone actually translate?  I missed this follow-up tweet:

https://mobile.twitter.com/El_gringoFutbol/status/1218223662601469957

Based on my limited Spanish, he basically says his mom and dad are Latinos and he played his entire career in Latin America, so he really doesn't feel Canadian.

He doesn't say he isn't Canadian or isn't proud to be Canadian or doesn't want to play for the national team or anything like that. 

Edited by Obinna