Lucas Cavallini

section114row20

14 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Big step down? Step down I'll give you that but big step down is a bit much. 

I'll also point out that Yordy Reyna is a top player and so is Inbeom. Fredy Montero was good in the box but old and slow in the un of play. What I'm saying is even with more signings to come Cavallini has pieces around him

With Cav I think they need to move Reyna back inside from the wing and get a top flight winger to provide service.  I actually wonder if Borges could be another answer for them.

24 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Big step down? Step down I'll give you that but big step down is a bit much. 

I'll also point out that Yordy Reyna is a top player and so is Inbeom. Fredy Montero was good in the box but old and slow in the run of play. Cavallini is What I'm saying is even with more signings to come Cavallini has pieces around him

You can say that again. 

It would be a step up for Borges, but it's a step we believe he can take and he is exactly the type of player Vancouver need.

The depth is a question mark, but having Cavallini, Montero, Borges, Reyna, Inbeom and Teibert is a respectable front 6 for MLS standards. Bair, Ricketts as attackers off the bench, Erice as holding midfield backup. Should be just enough to keep them in the playoff hunt this year.

For me, even if they get Cavallini and Borges, they still need an outstanding player if they want to be a Cup contender. They are still missing that. Cavallini is in the "very good" category, but they need a Gil, Pozuelo or Bojan type of proven top level creative talent (they don't have to be Spanish btw, just noticed my 3 examples were).

Edited by Obinna

Not sold, or convinced that this is a good move for Lucas or CMNT. The Whitecaps for far too long are okay with being mediocre, and require some big investments to get elite (MLS) standard players for them to make a playoff run next season.

But congrats to beastboy on getting paid.... I hope he kills it for the sake of Canada. 

Edited by Shway

I don't think people on here are as much disappointed in him joining an MLS team.  I think we all know MLS has some come a long way and isn't a huge step down from Liga MX.  I think the biggest disappointment is that many of us were excited at the prospect of Cavallini being linked to some massive Liga MX teams and potentially even a move to Europe.

I think it's exciting to get Cavallini playing next to some CMNT players. They'll develop a great chemistry. I'm also glad he went to a Western Conference MLS team. The standard of play is much higher. Hopefully we can see some other Canadian players join Canadian MLS teams. Maybe Atiba, Hoilett, Arfield

Edited by SpursFlu

16 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I think it's exciting to get Cavallini playing next to some CMNT players. They'll develop a great chemistry. I'm also glad he went to a Western Conference MLS team. The standard of play is much higher. Hopefully we can see some other Canadian players join Canadian MLS teams. Maybe Atiba, Hoilett, Arfield

I think this is the silver lining.

Cornelius is a regular starter for Canada, Teibert and Crepeau have been regulars in the squad, despite not seeing much field time. It is too bad Henry left, but Bair and Borges (if he joins) will start getting national team calls before long, while Ricketts could also play his way back into the picture if we are hit with injuries and he has a good season. 

So there is a solid Canadian national team contingent developing at Vancouver with Cavallini, Crepeau, Teibert, Cornelius, Ricketts and possibly Bair and Borges, if the latter joins up.

The other thing good that could come from this would be if Cavallini is "the man" at Vancouver. We need more players who are the top dog at club level. 

Say what you want about Vancouver's ineptitude, but even if they struggle as usual, Cavallini as their top scorer and main threat will be a good look, especially if he challenges for the golden boot. If the Whitecaps can make the playoffs with Cavallini, obviously the optics are even better. 

27 year old DP player Cavallini scoring +15 goals leading Vancouver to the playoffs could be enough to generate interest in Europe. 

Edited by Obinna

I think at 27 this is kinda it. If he wanted to go to Europe he would have already. I'm kinda bored of Europe personally 

I'm starting a new thing.. it's called Americas soccer snob

Really outside of maybe 16 teams in Europe. What's the big attraction? Play for some team in Portugal or Holland that nobody has ever heard of. Is that really all that spectacular?

Edited by SpursFlu

13 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I think at 27 this is kinda it. If he wanted to go to Europe he would have already. I'm kinda bored of Europe personally 

I'm starting a new thing.. it's called Americas soccer snob

Really outside of maybe 16 teams in Europe. What's the big attraction? Play for some team in Portugal or Holland that nobody has ever heard of. Is that really all that spectacular?

Perhaps Benfica and Porto are ships that have probably sailed, but Sporting Lisbon would still be attainable, I think.

As the 3rd biggest club in Portugal, they always challenge for the domestic title. They often play in European competition and could probably afford his wage demands. I think that would be an attractive club for Cavallini.

The question would be whether Sporting would want Cavallini. Freddy Montero had two spells with them, the first of which he was around Lucas age if I recall correctly. 

Portuguese clubs raid Mexico for talent on the regular, so it is natural to speculate about him playing there eventually.

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Its exciting if he was going to a good Vancouver team. Reality is he's joining an undefined project. 

So the Canadian contingent can only develop good chemistry that is beneficial if they are winning. Case in point Doneil and Derek. 

Ultimately I would've preferred him to go to Montreal, just for the fact he'll get better some service. 

6 minutes ago, Shway said:

Its exciting if he was going to a good Vancouver team. Reality is he's joining an undefined project. 

So the Canadian contingent can only develop good chemistry that is beneficial if they are winning. Case in point Doneil and Derek. 

Ultimately I would've preferred him to go to Montreal, just for the fact he'll get better some service. 

Which Canadians would he develop chemistry with? Crepeau in net? Cornelius as a CB? All the other Canadians at Vancouver that he would actually link up with during a game are B squad at best.

But regardless I don't think that it is such a bad thing that he is going to Vancouver. Won't hurt to have a striker that can score goals with few chances and possession

35 minutes ago, Shway said:

I highly doubt Vancouver brought in Axel Schuster to sign JUST Cavallini.. I’d expect some more quality will be brought to the squad prior to next season. 

Edited by N1ckbr0wn

27 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

Which Canadians would he develop chemistry with? Crepeau in net? Cornelius as a CB? All the other Canadians at Vancouver that he would actually link up with during a game are B squad at best.

But regardless I don't think that it is such a bad thing that he is going to Vancouver. Won't hurt to have a striker that can score goals with few chances and possession

Chemistry point was in reply to another comment. But i agree, its not really chemistry building cause none of the other guys will be in Canadas A squad. 

2 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

I highly doubt Vancouver brought in Axel Schuster to sign JUST Cavallini.. I’d expect some more quality will be brought to the square prior to next season. 

Well lets hope they have lots of GAM or TAM because Montero, InBeom, Adnan are all DPs and if Lucas is coming in as DP means a lot of contract restructing for the others.

I'm hoping for success for the Whitecaps, not because I'm really a fan, but because I want MDS to do well. He's one of the few managers who actively gives Canadians a chance. He has given opportunities to Crepeau, Cornelius, Bair, brought Ricketts back and may be signing Cav. 

I hope MDS can do well and continue to give Canadians playing time.

47 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

I think Theo Bair would be an obvious choice to move up from that B squad tag.

56 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

I hope MDS can do well and continue to give Canadians playing time.

I feel this sentiment is shared with everyone. 

I just feel that his unsaid policy of giving Canadians an opportunity where ever he goes is best suited for our national team. Especially when he can utilize/pick the best Canadians! 

I still hope to see him as the head coach of the CMNT one day... 

10 hours ago, Obinna said:

The other thing good that could come from this would be if Cavallini is "the man" at Vancouver. We need more players who are the top dog at club level. 

Say what you want about Vancouver's ineptitude, but even if they struggle as usual, Cavallini as their top scorer and main threat will be a good look, especially if he challenges for the golden boot. If the Whitecaps can make the playoffs with Cavallini, obviously the optics are even better. 

Exactly this, and it does feel like he's might be ready for that challenge.  I certainly hope so.

As has been mention a few different ways I think quite a few people where hoping Cav would be a little more ambitious in a move but sometimes the stars align a certain way and you just have to go with it.  If he can finishing out what should be the crest of his career in MLS with some good measure of success that will still be quite the accomplishment. 

Will be happy to give him a proper Winnipeg Welcome at IGF when the 'Caps lose TO ANOTHER CPL side in the Vs Cup this summer.

Edited by Cheeta

11 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

I didn't watched much Whitecaps last year, but I would say Bair probably has to make the move to the B squad from U23 first. Our depth is a lot better than it was a few years ago

Bair was with the first team all last season, playing in 18 matches. Whitecaps don’t even have a B squad.