Lucas Cavallini

section114row20

" I was born in Canada to South American immigrants. I have spent a majority of my life living in South America and definetly identify as a Latino. At the same time , every time I put on the Canadian jersey I play with so much passion and as hard as I can for my country. Canada is an amazing country and it has done so much for my family."  

End quote.

I honestly think this is what he wanted to say, just very unfortunate delivery.

I just don't understand what good would come out of saying something so f@#$%^& stupid. Was he trying to impress the reporter (I presume was latino). Even if he really feels that way, you don't have to report it to the world (our world). He definitely lost some brownie points with me.

Thats the speech you give when you get signed and move to South america.  When you come the other way you omit a few things and everyone in your new home that are going to pay your big new salary are happy.  A professional should know this.   

For example, when I work in SASK I always tell them the joke about it being so windy there because manitoba sucks, and alberta blows.  They are happy, I'm happy and later I can head back to god's country (manitoba) when the job is done.  

On 1/17/2020 at 1:37 PM, Obinna said:

I mean, he cares enough to set the record straight with a tweet afterwards, clarifying where he stands to those of you who think he's ready to burn his passport or something. 

Lucas does not have twitter as far as I am aware.

8 minutes ago, masster said:

Lucas does not have twitter as far as I am aware.

I believe he later clarified his comment and it was on twitter, but I guess he didn't tweet himself if he doesn't have twitter.

Regardless.... he set the record straight.

Edited by Obinna

13 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I believe he later clarified his comment and it was on twitter, but I guess he didn't tweet himself if he doesn't have twitter.

He does have Twitter, @LCavalliniOfi 

don’t think he’s insanely active on it though, which is prob why it isn’t verified 

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

My reading was that the guy who tweeted the quote, originally, only used the first portion of what Lucas said, then replied with the full quote after it caused some buzz. I don't think Lucas has offered any further comment beyond the video that was shared of him answering the question in Spanish.

Good article in MLS.com that kinda reiterates his Canadiana. Was even surprised to find out only his Dad was from Argentinean and his mother is described as "Canadian". This makes me think his 0% comment was more of an ironic statement in that he's obviously Canadian but because of his life experience in the sport he feels Latino. Nothing to see here is my take

Edited by SpursFlu

7 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

We're the country that capped Marc Bircham. Aren't we overreacting a bit here to this from Cavallini?

I think people were concerned about how a guy who was born in Canada and lived their until he was 16, plays for the national team, just got signed to a Canadian team while holding a Canadian flag, his entire family lives in Canada can say he feels 0% Canadian? I know students who lived in Canada for 1 year who feel at least .5% Canadian. But as I stated above I now feel he meant it in an ironic exagerated way. Like when you say your starving to death, your likely not starving to death tour just kinda making an excuse for why your about to go thru a McDonald's drive thru

Edited by SpursFlu

I think there are lots of kids from first and second generation immigrant/ethnic families in Canada that are raised in a family environment that feels as if they're on the fringes of Canadian cultural margins, particularly if their communities are fairly whitebread. So to not feel particularly Canadian is pretty normal IMHO. I don't see the need to twist ourselves into knots to justify this one way or the other.

Similar to back when he took flak for saying he regretted becoming cap tied to us. It's likely that there are all sorts of Canadian national team players that would have opted for another country if they had the eligibility for someone better; for Cavallini, that may not have been the most polite thing to say but it's certainly rational and understandable given his career trajectory.

14 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

I think there are lots of kids from first and second generation immigrant/ethnic families in Canada that are raised in a family environment that feels as if they're on the fringes of Canadian cultural margins, particularly if their communities are fairly whitebread.

I know you're generalizing, but this scenario doesn't apply to Cavallini.

9 hours ago, RS said:

I know you're generalizing, but this scenario doesn't apply to Cavallini.

Do you see lots of Argentinian influence in our culture?

Who are you to say that for him?

Why are people so insecure about this? We call up guys based on their skill, experience, determination and willingness to show up. Why a values test too?

Edited by The Real Marc

3 hours ago, The Real Marc said:

Why are people so insecure about this? We call up guys based on their skill, experience, determination and willingness to show up. Why a values test too?

I'm not saying anything for him, I'm saying it for his hometown (which I'm also from). It's not "fairly whitebread" at all. 

It's silly to imply that because there's very little Argentine culture here that it's whitebread. 

As for the rest of your post, I'm not really bothered by his comments as much as I think they are dumb. He's free to say dumb things that make no sense, but there will be pushback on it. He's not the first athlete to make silly comments, and I'm fine with him representing Canada.

3 hours ago, The Real Marc said:

Argentina might be one of most whitebread places on the planet maybe you should do some research. Besides I don't know what feeling whitebread has to do with feeling Canadian. Have you been outside your house in the past 30 years? Maybe you should join us in 2020 and drop the racist crap

As a first gen Canadian of Latin american parents, who also grew up in a 80% immigrant neighborhood, the sentiment Lucas has is shared among many. Many dont feel Canadian, for many of us we are taught that to be canadian is just the passport and oppotunity this country gives us.... Our identity and who we are is based off our parentage and their culture, nation etc. Many people I knew growing up only identify as canadian when it provided them with a benefit. I always wanted to connect with other latin american youth but because I didnt have much connection to any family members or the latin community, I ended up identifying with like white canadians who played hockey and listened to rock music. Since I met many latinos and have tried being apart of that community but for me I never felt at home, I personally feel more at home with people in Bradford or Hawkesbury, Barrie or other small cities in Ontario. I think Lucas at least has a leg to stand on with his sentiment, because of being away from Canada since he was 16. It's an unfortunate reality, we are taught to be proud of Canada because it isnt the USA, because it has "free" healthcare, public education, a welfare system, etc. I personally identify as a Canadian, until I was 16 or 17 I never said I was Canadian, and until recently I always identified as Uruguayan-Canadian but I look at my interests, my own person values, culture,  and the fact that I feel so foreign with other Latin americans. I have more in common with Ukrainians and Poles, who make the majority of my close friends. Given all those friends identify as Canadian generally.

On 1/22/2020 at 6:44 AM, The Real Marc said:

Actually willingness to show up is a values test. International competitons are in part a values contest.

Under Herdman, there is a values test. He has said he wants players who really want to play for the jersey. Notice that of all them now sing the anthem from youth to senior teams.

And for every country deemed a football nation, it is why you regularly see players cry as they stand for their anthem for their first time at the World Cup.

On 1/22/2020 at 10:48 AM, SpursFlu said:

Argentina might be one of most whitebread places on the planet maybe you should do some research. Besides I don't know what feeling whitebread has to do with feeling Canadian. Have you been outside your house in the past 30 years? Maybe you should join us in 2020 and drop the racist crap

Are you not reading or are you being obtuse on purpose because you have no response?  Try reading the post and understanding the nuance.  What's whitebread in Argentina isn't going to be whitebread over here. It's completely reasonable to understand why he felt outside of the Canadian mainstream, see Ivanovski above. This is pretty basic stuff we're talking about here.

On 1/22/2020 at 10:23 AM, RS said:

I'm not saying anything for him, I'm saying it for his hometown (which I'm also from). It's not "fairly whitebread" at all. 

To you, maybe. To him, not necessarily. I've lived in Mississauga too, and while there are parts that are very multicultural, there are also parts that are pretty, honestly, whitebread. And we have to remember - his experience isn't Mississauga as an adult in 2020 - it's Mississauga as a kid up til when he went to South America. I can see how in his situation, he may not have felt all that Canadian.

14 minutes ago, red card said:

Actually willingness to show up is a values test. International competitons are in part a values contest.

Under Herdman, there is a values test. He has said he wants players who really want to play for the jersey. Notice that of all them now sing the anthem from youth to senior teams.

And for every country deemed a football nation, it is why you regularly see players cry as they stand for their anthem for their first time at the World Cup.

That was sort of my point. He shows up when called, so he passes the test that matters.

Whether he feels 0%, 100%, or 66.6% doesn't matter. The rest is just posturing and windowdressing, IMHO but if it works for Herdman in developing a team mentality and enrapturing the media, then go for it.

Edited by The Real Marc