Lucas Cavallini

section114row20

9 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Cavallini looks incredibly short on confidence. Playing for Vancouver will do that to you.

If anyone needs to score a few goals against Cayman to get back on track, it is this guy. I still believe in him, he just needs to break the funk.

I am pretty sure this exact sentiment has been expressed with respect to Larin as well.  

The Cavallini to Vancouver signing was always poor.  At $6 million, he wasn't what the Whitecaps needed and (from a career perspective) they're not a team that can help him.  I never begrudge a player taking the money (because careers are short), and Vancouver is a great city, but damn I wonder if both sides could undo this I wonder if they would.

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

I don't know that he wasn't what the player caps need. Probably the right player at the wrong time though. Had they signed better players around him to supply him I think he would be a perfect fit. He was the first signing at christmas. The club let him down after that. Who knows what vision they sold him.

They were never going to get better players. Cheapest and worst ran franchise in MLS by far, seriously, how does anyone take that team seriously? Terrible terrible team.

3 hours ago, Floortom said:

Midfield is an abomination - Tiebert is ummm not good. Metcalfe is worse.

still all that said, Cavallini has been disappointing. He has to make something happen and he hasn’t been able to. His hold up play has been awful. He holds some blame for this disaster too 

Cavallini is not the type of 9 to seek the game and make plays, he never was that player, and never will be that player. He joined a terrible team, period.

2 hours ago, toontownman said:

I don't know that he wasn't what the player caps need. Probably the right player at the wrong time though. Had they signed better players around him to supply him I think he would be a perfect fit. He was the first signing at christmas. The club let him down after that. Who knows what vision they sold him.

Sure, but I think they signed him thinking that was all they needed.  That he alone would make the players better around him, and that he would be able to generate chances for himself and others.  But that's not what he is, he needed help, and they were never going to get that for him.  He was there one big signing, and unlike some of the other attempted DPs there's never going to be a chance to sell him on for profit because he's already (roughly) at his peak.  It remains an absolutely baffling decision by the Whitecaps, beyond "Everyone is yelling at us to spend some money and to sign more Canadian players.  Let's just do that all at once and then people will stop yelling at us."  They've now wasted a big chunk of the Davies money, and have nothing to show for it.

2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Sure, but I think they signed him thinking that was all they needed.  That he alone would make the players better around him, and that he would be able to generate chances for himself and others.  But that's not what he is, he needed help, and they were never going to get that for him.  He was there one big signing, and unlike some of the other attempted DPs there's never going to be a chance to sell him on for profit because he's already (roughly) at his peak.  It remains an absolutely baffling decision by the Whitecaps, beyond "Everyone is yelling at us to spend some money and to sign more Canadian players.  Let's just do that all at once and then people will stop yelling at us."  They've now wasted a big chunk of the Davies money, and have nothing to show for it.

They should still have some money to go out and get a solid one or two midfielders. Hey if they want to go Canadian, there are some good young midfielders out there! Also if the want older well they can take a look at the Scottish league, there four solid ones. Also they can make some trades. The whitecaps have options to get help Cavallini, he’s a really good striker but playing on that team he’s not a miracle worker ! I wonder if they will 

Edited by SpecialK

3 hours ago, johnyb said:

IMO there isn't much incentive to get better this year. With no fans, spending a ton of money for a few wins won't give them much of a return on their investment. Their mailing it in until they can play in front of fans.

Loser franchise mentality then... but I guess that could be an "excuse" (not really)

12 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Yeah, two sides of the same coin maybe. They had far too much faith as they have always had in Reyna who beyond season one flatters to deceive and is a disappointment, to be the creative link. That Dajome and David Milinković would be great creators of chances for Cavallini to put away and HIB, who tried to get out of his move and go elsewhere since prior to day one, would be the player they thought. If all of that was true he would be excelling right now. It was all misplaced judgement. I don't think they would have thought of him as a creator, but the above tells me who knows what they were thinking. They want Bekker apparently. Who knows what goes on in their heads. 

He is battering ram or "tank" as his nickname, that works hard and gets in scoring opportunities more than a creator. Hold up play sure but you have to be able to get the ball up to him. We saw that in his first few appearances where he was buzzing all around the pitch and looked like himself. Not since the restart and with a disgusting team around him though. He seems as drained as the rest of them. 

I don't doubt he is having second thoughts about the move. 

On 12/9/2019 at 12:27 PM, Shway said:

Not sold, or convinced that this is a good move for Lucas or CMNT. The Whitecaps for far too long are okay with being mediocre, and require some big investments to get elite (MLS) standard players for them to make a playoff run next season.

But congrats to beastboy on getting paid.... I hope he kills it for the sake of Canada. 

Sometimes you gotta go back and read what you've said in the past in the hopes of being wrong. 
In this case....I'm sad that I was right. Hopefully for now.

I'm getting whiplash...great signing to shitty signing in the blink of an eye.  Cavs stock goes straight up, he's an excellent hold up guy and now he's in the toilet.  Makes sense for the Whitecaps go out drum up interest by signing a in form, a cdn guy that can put it in the net. Which CDN  team doesnt want that...it hasnt worked out so far but holy cow lets not panic.  If he had gone to the bubble and kept playing maybe he/the caps wouldnt be flundering now eh?? Isnt some of this on him??  If he had done his job and banged in his penalties everyone wouldnt be panicked right now.  And shouldnt it get better if MDS can get them all rowing in the same direction??  

• 3 weeks later...