USA vs Canada - Friday Nov 15th, Orlando FL

As other have done, I'd also like to pump the brakes a bit. Pulisic and Steffen are big losses for them, but the USA is still a favourite to win at home IMO. Dest (Ajax) is a big add for them, and I expect quality players like McKennie (Schalke), Yedlin (Newcastle), Sargent (Werder Bremen), Morales (Fortuna Düsseldorf), Brooks (VfL Wolfsburg) and Morris (Sounders) to have good games.

If I'm being honest, I'd be happy with a draw. 

Really hope we can duplicate the exact same mindset and commitment that we had in the 2-0 win at BMO. If we were successful Friday in obtaining another win (or a draw even), wouldn't that be a nice psychological advantage to have in the event that we made the Hex and played the US twice again.

The Football Rankings website has us at 1339.28 points. Factoring in Kent's calculations of the points that would change hands depending on what happens Friday, we will either have 1356 (W), 1344 (D), or 1331 (L) when FIFA updates their rankings November 28.

1 hour ago, Bdog said:

Their trash tier fanbase is celebrating Bradley’s injury, I hope they all get to see how great their MLS midfielders are.

If they lose it will still be Bradley’s fault, and despite their lack of talent it will also be all Berhalter’s fault!

They hate all their MLS midfielders. They want to see European call ups. 

21 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Liam Miller becomes the 2nd Canadian to say that Doneil Henry is the last player they would want to pick a fight with:

I actually just got a chance to watch this. Awesome. Love seeing the guys having a laugh with (and at) each other.  

Who would you want to fight?

Juan Cordova - because he is a cheeky bugger.  

Lol. 

3 hours ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

We need to keep the “David vs Goliath” mentality coming into this game.. even with the US missing some notables and their golden boy, it’s important we play with the same heart we did in Toronto. I trust JH will have the boys buzzing the finish them

Totally agree, though we also cannot play scared, which we've done too often in the past.  We need to be tenacious, smart, and a bit audacious, just like we were the last game. The US will likely not fold as easily as they did in Toronto, which means we cannot switch off for a second.

I wonder if Pulisic and Bradley are sitting out in the hopes that Berhalter's days are truly numbered. While this is an important game for Greg, it is NOT a truly important game for the US in general. If missing this game will expedite a change of coach, well, then, I guess Pulisic's hip is feeling dodgy, as is Bradley's ankle.

I want the same thing I wanted for the game in Toronto: A cohesive, hard fought, and gritty performance from our lads, for a full 90 minutes. An away game is a challenge unto itself, so a solid performance and signs of team growth are what I want to see. Yeah, I want a result, but I want to see signs of growth, character, and fight more than anything.

5 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Totally agree, though we also cannot play scared, which we've done too often in the past.  We need to be tenacious, smart, and a bit audacious, just like we were the last game. The US will likely not fold as easily as they did in Toronto, which means we cannot switch off for a second.

I wonder if Pulisic and Bradley are sitting out in the hopes that Berhalter's days are truly numbered. While this is an important game for Greg, it is NOT a truly important game for the US in general. If missing this game will expedite a change of coach, well, then, I guess Pulisic's hip is feeling dodgy, as is Bradley's ankle.

I want the same thing I wanted for the game in Toronto: A cohesive, hard fought, and gritty performance from our lads, for a full 90 minutes. An away game is a challenge unto itself, so a solid performance and signs of team growth are what I want to see. Yeah, I want a result, but I want to see signs of growth, character, and fight more than anything.

I was about to write the same ... Pulisic was very upset about being pulled in Toronto ... would not be surprised to see Greg Vanney named next coach soon after which I think would make Bradley and Altidore happy as well ... not to mention the US Soccer fans 

15 minutes ago, A Different Perspective said:

I was about to write the same ... Pulisic was very upset about being pulled in Toronto ... would not be surprised to see Greg Vanney named next coach soon after which I think would make Bradley and Altidore happy as well ... not to mention the US Soccer fans 

Oh what a fucking result that would be. We could screw the US twice and I could maybe like TFC again!

4 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

If they don't beat CR, and we win, are we good?

If they draw CR they still could win the group and get those big playoff points.

Or if El Salvador wins both their matches they will still be within 9 points of us. That puts us within range if they win a bunch of friendlies (and we lose our playoff games, thus not gaining any points), especially if we lose some friendlies in January or March.

If we can get a positive result on Friday, the ultimate icing on the cake would be to have Costa Rica take Group D so that Curacao is prevented from earning points in the semi-final, final, or 3rd place match. If Curacao won at home to Costa Rica on Thursday, they would be very close (around 1338) to where we are now before our match with the US (1339). 

1 hour ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

This has gotta be about as close to a neutral venue as Canada will experience in CONCACAF. Small crowd (sounds like maybe 10k), buncha disgruntled American fans playing in a stadium they don't often play in that a ton of our MLS guys are as familiar as their guys are. Nice and comfortable weather too (low 20's and maybe raining). Does it get any easier for an away game?

Again though, even if Curacao gets out of their group

19 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

So we need to do our job and are hoping for a CR win over Curaçao and ES to drop points somewhere. 

Good to know. 

Again though, even if Curacao gets out of their group, they'll probably have to play Mexico in the semi finals. Canada would have a much more winnable match against Honduras. I guess running into them in for 3rd place is possible. I think El Salvador is the bigger threat tbh. 

Edited by PiedPilko

10 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

It’s kinda sad how many American fans want to lose. We’ve had some **** managers in the past who have been detrimental to the program but I’d never want the team to lose even if it meant the manager being fired.

I understand the sentiment tho. Some TFC fans have come close to this with respect to Vanney. Sometimes you need a clear signal that change is needed for anything to happen.  And since this isn’t nearly as big of a match for them as it is to us, I think they see it as a sacrifice worth making.  Hell, I wouldn’t be disappointed if the players started thinking that way as well...

1 hour ago, A Different Perspective said:

It just might make some TFC fans happy as well!

1 hour ago, grigorio said:

This has gotta be about as close to a neutral venue as Canada will experience in CONCACAF. Small crowd (sounds like maybe 10k), buncha disgruntled American fans playing in a stadium they don't often play in that a ton of our MLS guys are as familiar as their guys are. Nice and comfortable weather too (low 20's and maybe raining). Does it get any easier for an away game?

Absolutely agree!!!!.. Perfect opportunity to get the job done on the road and move on to bigger & better things going forward!!!

Pretty confident with this group of players!!!... Let's get it guys, Allez Les Rouges!!!!💪🏿🇨🇦

54 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I understand the sentiment tho. Some TFC fans have come close to this with respect to Vanney. Sometimes you need a clear signal that change is needed for anything to happen.  And since this isn’t nearly as big of a match for them as it is to us, I think they see it as a sacrifice worth making.  Hell, I wouldn’t be disappointed if the players started thinking that way as well...

Why would tfc fans want Vanney gone. Hasn’t he gotten them 3 finals and one cup in 4 years.

Despite (or because of?) the bad press and home support doubt, they might really come up with a big time performance at home.  With that, this is a statement game for us as much as it is for them.  Putting in the kind of business like, well prepared and tactically versatile, do-your-job performance will solidify the gains shown in the first leg.  Make no mistake:  losing while playing below expectations is going to create a sh*tstorm around here, too.