USA vs Canada - Friday Nov 15th, Orlando FL

10 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

Again though, even if Curacao gets out of their group, they'll probably have to play Mexico in the semi finals. Canada would have a much more winnable match against Honduras. I guess running into them in for 3rd place is possible. I think El Salvador is the bigger threat tbh. 

The most likely scenario, assuming Mexico don't relax completely.  They have +6 goals to Honduras' +3 and have not won by less than two goals so far.  Our +9 with one less game to play is still the standard unless we draw (not thinking about worse).  Really a big win and first should be the goal.  It would mean one of a handful of very good (but honestly not hex-making) scenarios.  Some of the best of which include 1) having it in our hands to prevent Curacao from getting any Nations League semi final (25x) points, or having a beatable but highly ranked Costa Rica team overtake them for what is probably that 4th seed.

(We still need decent friendlies in March for this to stay relevant)

Bottom line we go into this needing to not underestimate the reaction from the States but also looking to maximize goal difference.  A draw, with all our rivals, winning still means we will end the window on the outside looking in, though just barely, I believe.

Going to be a long week. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

1 minute ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

The most likely scenario, assuming Mexico don't relax completely.  They have +6 goals to Honduras' +3 and have not won by less than two goals so far.  Our +9 with one less game to play is still the standard unless we draw (not thinking about worse).  Really a big win and first should be the goal.  It would mean one of a handful of very good (but honestly not hex-making) scenarios some of the best of which include 1) having it in our hands to prevent Curacao from getting any Nations League semi final (25x) points, or having a beatable but highly ranked Costa Rica team over take them for what is probably that 4th seed.

(We still need decent friendlies in March for this to stay relevant)

Bottom line we go into this needing to not underestimate the reaction from the States but also looking to maximize goal difference.  A draw with all our rivals winning still means we will end the window on the outside looking in, though just barely, I believe.

Going to be a long week. 

I don't think we need to focus on Goal difference. If we have to finish second and have Honduras,  Curaçao still has to get through Mexico to have a shot unless they beat Honduras, but if they beat Honduras, it's because we would have beaten Honduras too before, so we would have gotten  the same points (unless there are penalties shenanigans)

18 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

I don't think we need to focus on Goal difference. If we have to finish second and have Honduras,  Curaçao still has to get through Mexico to have a shot unless they beat Honduras, but if they beat Honduras, it's because we would have beaten Honduras too before, so we would have gotten  the same points (unless there are penalties shenanigans)

The reality is that us or any of the teams around us should only win one of those two games in that mini tournament, assuming Mexico care and show up.

But Honduras have little to lose, 1) with Martinique in their group 2) having already made the Final Championship, where they can't lose points.  They look really hard to catch.

I would like to put us up against the rival we need to keep down or even better an overrated (I believe) Costa Rican team (though on a roll, having beaten 2 decent teams), or the outside chance of another beatable team in Haiti, for our most winnable game.   

PS.  It would also probably keep Mexico away from Curacao and eliminate the chance of an unlikely points bonanza for anyone but us. 

The location of the finals just says a centralized location selected by CONCACAF. I assume they would have picked the US if they advanced. I know we aren't centralized, but is there any chance we could host the final? If us, Mexico, Honduras, and say Curacao all move on I would think it would be between us and Mexico.

On a separate topic. Channel 399 on Bell satellite is PPV. Does anyone have any information if it will be free or will it be the $6.99 they normally charge for movies?

Edited by Stryker911

9 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

The location of the finals just says a centralized location selected by CONCACAF. I assume they would have picked the US if they advanced. I know we aren't centralized, but is there any chance we could host the final? If us, Mexico, Honduras, and say Curacao all move on I would think it would be between us and Mexico.

On a separate topic. Channel 399 on TSN satellite is PPV. Does anyone have any information if it will be free or will it be the $6.99 they normally charge for movies?

The way they announced the availability it sounded like it is free.  It is a PPV channel on Bell as well but when I go to that channel day & time there isn't an order this program option so it may be free. 

Anyone who has played any high level of sport learns never engage in goal differential and who are we going to play next scenarios.  The key, which I am sure JH has them focused, is play the damn game and focus on that and only that - the rest will take care of itself.  As fans we should do the same - otherwise, it lends itself to a hole lot of hurt later when when we thought we should win by X but instead we lose by Y and we don't make the next round.  Never count your chickens before they are hatched.

Stay focused at the task at hand.

12 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

Why would tfc fans want Vanney gone. Hasn’t he gotten them 3 finals and one cup in 4 years.

I think the payroll and player recruitment have been more responsible for those results.  Don't they have the highest payroll in the league?

Regardless, it's not always obvious if the good results are due to Vanney, or despite Vanney.

6 minutes ago, A Different Perspective said:

Anyone who has played any high level of sport learns never engage in goal differential and who are we going to play next scenarios.  The key, which I am sure JH has them focused, is play the damn game and focus on that and only that - the rest will take care of itself.  As fans we should do the same - otherwise, it lends itself to a hole lot of hurt later when when we thought we should win by X but instead we lose by Y and we don't make the next round.  Never count your chickens before they are hatched.

Stay focused at the task at hand.

Fair enough but I am not playing in the game.  And I can take any hurt that comes: I have been a Canadian, West Ham, Saints and pretty lapsed Oilers fan for a number of lean years.  The speculation and scenarios is honestly part of the enjoyment for me. 

25 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Fair enough but I am not playing in the game.  And I can take any hurt that comes: I have been a Canadian, West Ham, Saints and pretty lapsed Oilers fan for a number of lean years.  The speculation and scenarios is honestly part of the enjoyment for me. 

And truthfully, if there wasn't so much riding on this game with all the permutations for a win, I likely wouldn't be heading down to the game.  I agree that players should be focused on the immediate task, but it is the possibilities and implications that make this one so damn important.

Berhalter has stuck his neck out, saying "only a win will suffice" against us.  Totally needless to put that kind of pressure on himself and his team, in what is really not in any way a must win game for them. Alexi Lalas has already called for his head if they lose.  Rookie mistake by Berhalter, especially because everyone knows his was a politically motivated hire (much like Herdman) and thus he will not be fired under any circumstances. A loss will just make him more hated by the fans and media.

Altidore, Pulisic, Steffen and Adams are huge absences for them.  That's arguably their 4 best players gone.  Only 10-12 thousand fans will be in the stadium, and they're just dying to turn on their team and coach.  If we are up at halftime, I fully expect the US to be booed off the pitch.  This is almost a perfect storm for us, we just need to keep doing what we've been doing.  We don't need to take chances or try to reinvent the wheel in 3 days of training. If our players play to their usual level, we will get a result. 

I said before we shouldn't underestimate the 'mericans, but I still struggle to see where their goals will come from without Pulisic.

Obviously they have good players in good environments, but I wonder who exactly steps up to fill the void. I mean, who will be the one to take the bull by the horns offensively?

It may end up being Jordan Morris, he was decent last game and just won MLS cup after a strong playoffs. 

It could also be Tyler Boyd. He struggled most of the season at Besiktas, but was given a chance against Braga in Europa league and delivered with a goal and a strong performance by all accounts.

Those two could create problems for us all game, but who else is there? Sargent is good at linking plays and/or finishing them, but seems to rely on others to create his chances. Arriola had been in poor form for a while now. McKennie can and will finish off plays if he's unmarked, but we are not going to neglect our defensive duties like Cuba.

10 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Berhalter has stuck his neck out, saying "only a win will suffice" against us.  Totally needless to put that kind of pressure on himself and his team, in what is really not in any way a must win game for them. Alexi Lalas has already called for his head if they lose.  Rookie mistake by Berhalter, especially because everyone knows his was a politically motivated hire (much like Herdman) and thus he will not be fired under any circumstances. A loss will just make him more hated by the fans and media.

Altidore, Pulisic, Steffen and Adams are huge absences for them.  That's arguably their 4 best players gone.  Only 10-12 thousand fans will be in the stadium, and they're just dying to turn on their team and coach.  If we are up at halftime, I fully expect the US to be booed off the pitch.  This is almost a perfect storm for us, we just need to keep doing what we've been doing.  We don't need to take chances or try to reinvent the wheel in 3 days of training. If our players play to their usual level, we will get a result. 

I see it that way too.

I will also add that Orlando fans aren't exactly accustomed to seeing the home team victorious. How often have Orlando City fans willed their team to a win?

I would be more concerned if we were playing at Banc of California stadium.

We can't take anything for granted, but there is reason for us to be bullish on our chances.

41 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Then why wouldn't they just show it on one of their tsn channels?

Because they don't want to sacrifice a channel for the game. During the game on Friday night they have a Leafs game, a Canadiens game, a Senators game, an NBA game (not Raptors). The only thing that looks cancellable for them is on TSN 3. They are playing That's Hockey, CFL Wired, and ESPN 30 for 30.

And even though that seems cancelable, I'm guessing That's Hockey would tend to get more viewers than a CMNT match.

15 hours ago, grigorio said:

This has gotta be about as close to a neutral venue as Canada will experience in CONCACAF. Small crowd (sounds like maybe 10k), buncha disgruntled American fans playing in a stadium they don't often play in that a ton of our MLS guys are as familiar as their guys are. Nice and comfortable weather too (low 20's and maybe raining). Does it get any easier for an away game?

Aside from the opponent, no, not really.  (i.e. Playing a bonafide minnow would be easier.)  

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I said before we shouldn't underestimate the 'mericans, but I still struggle to see where their goals will come from without Pulisic.

Obviously they have good players in good environments, but I wonder who exactly steps up to fill the void. I mean, who will be the one to take the bull by the horns offensively?

It may end up being Jordan Morris, he was decent last game and just won MLS cup after a strong playoffs. 

It could also be Tyler Boyd. He struggled most of the season at Besiktas, but was given a chance against Braga in Europa league and delivered with a goal and a strong performance by all accounts.

Those two could create problems for us all game, but who else is there? Sargent is good at linking plays and/or finishing them, but seems to rely on others to create his chances. Arriola had been in poor form for a while now. McKennie can and will finish off plays if he's unmarked, but we are not going to neglect our defensive duties like Cuba.

Morris will be dangerous. I perdict it.