Gold Cup 2019

9 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Not sure politics is the answer, but I thought the same.  No Chapman, Shome, Choiniere, Johnson while some of these others make the list that don't have a chance at the final 23?  I think they have their 23 man roster, the other names are just filler.

Absolutely this is true, and it would be malpractice on the part of team brass if this wasn't the case.

I'm guessing De Jong was supposed to represent CPL until he got hurt.

Isn't David Edgar supposed to sign with CPL now that his season is over? If so, then we'd have a representative there.

I do find some of the picks questionable but let's wait for the Nation League rosters to come out as they will have had a much bigger sample of games to assess CPL. If no one makes that roster than we can point out the politics.

Too soon...I too think Carducci could have been named but let's not forget that he was playing in PDL and just played 5 games in CPL. 

Nations League roster is where I might get mad but we'll see

Edited by Ansem

24 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

A no brainer!  There are about 5-6 guys who could easily be switched out for CPL players but it looks like more pandering to MLS clubs.  Why we always insist on calling guys who can't even break into our MLS clubs boggles the mind.  

okay... name them please

A better viewing list....

GOALKEEPERS (6):

Milan Borjan, Alessandro Busti, Maxime Crepeau, Jayson Leutwiller, James Pantemis, Simon Thomas

DEFENDERS (14):

Samuel Adekugebe, Zachary Brault-Guillard, Juan Cordova, Derek Cornelius, David Edgar, Marcus Godinho, Andre Hainault, Doneil Henry, Dejan Jakovic, Manjrekar James, Brett Levis, Kamal Miller, Adam Straith, Ashtone Morgan

MIDFIELDERS (11): 

Scott Arfield, Atiba Hutchinson, Alphonso Davies, Junior Hoilett, Will Johnson, Mark-Anthony Kaye, Russell Teibert, Jonathan Osorio, David Wootherspoon, Samuel Piette, Noble Okello

MID/FWD (5) :

Jonathan David, Anthony Jackson-Hamel, Liam Millar, Ballou Tabla, Raheem Edwards, 

FORWARDS (4):

Lucas Cavallini, Cyle Larin, Tesho Akindele, Tosaint Ricketts

Edwards hasn’t played since March because of an injury. He likely won’t be called in as he is only getting back to fitness now. 

Rather these names being included on the 40 man roster being a “favour” to MLS teams, I suspect it is the opposite in some cases - if Okello hasn’t  made the TFC bench yet, why is he being called ahead of Chapman who plays every game now and even Liam Fraser? The answer is, I suspect, that TFC said to Herdman that we are losing Bradley and Osorio for three weeks or more so please leaves us Chapman and Fraser. I bet it is the same with Hamilton knowing they are losing Altidore although he may not have made the 40 man cut anyway given that we play a sole striker and have more depth up top.

Now would it make sense to call say, Elijah Adekugbe instead to Okello on the 40 man roster even just for the sake of optics? Probably but maybe Herdman cares less about optics than I thought and perhaps this list was submitted in March.

Shame to hear about Quillan Roberts, our gk depth is stronger now than it was before thanks to the CPL but still not so great that it isn’t conceivable that he could have been called after establishing himself as a star in the league in years to come

9 minutes ago, gator said:

I'm not going to get too upset about who is or isn't on the fringe of a 40 man roster, hopefully as CPL players establish themselves they will get noticed for future call ups, it's early days of the CPL!

It's early days for CPL but that's exactly why a nod would have gone a long way in validating the league. If this is all to help support the push for the World Cup, then why not show the league a bit of support. Even if it's just lip service at this point it would send the right message.

14 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

okay... name them please

Carudcci for Pantemis, Petrasso for Edwards, Zator/Awuah for Jakovic, Ingham for Busti, Verhoeven for Okello.

It's inconsequential but its just odd that guys who don't play continue to be called (55 combined first team minutes between the 5 guys I'm dropping above).  And now we have guys who have moved into club situations where they actually play and they get dropped?

Here is the 2017 prelim squad: https://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-soccer-releases-40-man-provisional-list-for-concacaf-gold-cup-p160880

You'll note that 7 of the 40 guys on that roster are now in CPL.  The optics are that you have a better shot at being called to the MNT as a guy on a MLS roster not playing i.e. Choiniere, Awuah, Bustos, Pantemis than you do as a guy actually playing in CPL.  The first 3 guys are now in situations where they are playing, yet they are dropped but Pantemis retains his spot (despite never playing a pro game in the last 2 years).  

I honestly expected at least a couple of CanPL names. Perhaps 2 or 3. However, we got zero. I'm not saying this is politics, but zero is very suspicious.

We all know squad depth is an issue in the CanPL right now. We just finished match day 5 and teams are already travelling with short benches due to injury. Hell, FC Edmonton have only played 3 games, how many players did they have on the bench away to Calgary? 

Perhaps there was some sort of arrangement not to select any Canadians from CanPL? 

Other oddities are leaving Chapman and Fraser home for Okello, for example. I don't get that one. Has he been lights out in USL 1? What about Hainault, Straith and Jakovic? Surprised they were called ahead of Vitoria, who's been glued to the bench in Poland but has still played more than Dejan at LAFC. 

Can we all be happy to see Cordova selected though? ;)

Interesting and nice to see hainault and straith there. Most pleased to see Levis even if he wont make the cut. I hope Miller gets a shot although I could see us going with more experience to go with James, Henry and Cornelius. 

I dont think the 23 will be too hard to pick but there are a couple of interesting questions.

- Ricketts or Tesho or maybe neither

- Who takes the 3rd goalkeeper spot 

- Who takes the 4th CB Spot (after James, Henry, Cornelius) or do we take 5?

- Fullbacks wise will we take all four from Godinho, Adekugbe, Cordova and ZBG or does one miss out at the expense of a versatile midfielder filling in and freeing an extra squad place (Johnson, MAK, Atiba etc.) 

Either way someone popular and arguable undeserving of being cut will miss out. (Wotherspoon just cant get in, through no fault of his own imo) 

GK: MILAN BORJAN, MAXIME CREPEAU, SIMON THOMAS 

DEFENDERS:SAMUEL ADEKUGBE, ZACHARY BRAULT-GUILLARD, DONEIL HENRY, JUAN CORDOVA, MANJREKAR JAMES, DEREK CORNELIUS, KAMAL MILLER (in reality edgar)

MIDFIELD: SCOTT ARFIELD, ATIBA HUTCHINSON, JUNIOR HOILETT, MARK ANTHONY KAYE, JONATHAN OSORIO, SAMUEL PIETTE, RUSSELL TEIBERT, BALLOU TABLA, ALPHONSO DAVIES

STRIKERS: LUCAS CAVALLINI, JONATHAN DAVID, CYLE LARIN, LIAM MILLAR.

Okello is very much earmarked as a top top prospect more so than Fraser and Chapman isnt he? He certainly has all the tools but was lacking the concentration and consistency at the U20s late last year. 

Could be they are just grooming him with the older players and getting around the likes of atiba while they can. 

I'm not worried about the CPL situation. CPL clubs need them more and I'm expecting the U23 team to have a strong CPL presence. There isnt anyone in the CPL that would get a place in the final 23. All in good time.

5 minutes ago, Shway said:

Great explanation @toontownman

I still feel like one of the younger guys like Millar or Tabla will be the surprise omission to ensure/sort out their club futures....sounds stupid, but even with squad rotation I cant seem either of them getting substantial minutes in the GC. 

Millar should be included but Tabla should be out