Gold Cup 2019

I remember that when they announced the US venues, they said Gold Cup matches would also be played in Central America and in the Caribbean. I haven't seen anything since then that has said what countries in Central America or the Caribbean they were considering.

Seeing that Honduras has their first match in one of the TBD locations, and knowing that Central America will host a match, I wonder if it will be in Honduras. If that ends up being the case, Group C just became much less appealing all of a sudden.

8 hours ago, jtpc said:

I remember that when they announced the US venues, they said Gold Cup matches would also be played in Central America and in the Caribbean. I haven't seen anything since then that has said what countries in Central America or the Caribbean they were considering.

Seeing that Honduras has their first match in one of the TBD locations, and knowing that Central America will host a match, I wonder if it will be in Honduras. If that ends up being the case, Group C just became much less appealing all of a sudden.

Costa Rica is also in a group hosting a non-US venue game.  I’d say they’re a more deserving option than Honduras and they have better facilities.  Plus it would be nice to see Honduras screwed out of a home game for a Caribbean country in their group (Jamaica or Trinidad are probably the only feasible options). 

If they did Canada again I think Vancouver would do really well. 

This draw must be a real draw and not hand picked this time with 16 teams.  It would actually be kinda nice to draw in B or C and play the away game.

59 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Costa Rica is also in a group hosting a non-US venue game.  I’d say they’re a more deserving option than Honduras and they have better facilities.  Plus it would be nice to see Honduras screwed out of a home game for a Caribbean country in their group (Jamaica or Trinidad are probably the only feasible options). 

If they did Canada again I think Vancouver would do really well. 

This draw must be a real draw and not hand picked this time with 16 teams.  It would actually be kinda nice to draw in B or C and play the away game.

Very true on the possibility that Costa Rica gets the Central American game. I was assuming the worst with Honduras getting it. I don't think they take the chance on a real draw. They want a US/Mexico final and now they have to make sure that their Caribbean host ends up in B or C.

If it isn't a draw, I think they might put us in C. If they think that we're an improved threat to their desired US/Mexico final, they would probably put us on Mexico's side of the bracket (again), put us in C, hope we finish 2nd, and then we'd have to play 1A (presumably Mexico) in the QF. The way to get around that would be to win C, and provided Mexico wins A, we wouldn't see Mexico until the SF.

I think B would be a great spot since B crosses over with the US group and I think we would fare quite well against them. Because of that, I'm not sure the US would want that to happen so I don't think they give us B. What's also nice about B is from a fan point of view, you wouldn't need another flight between the last game of the group stage (Harrison) and the QF (Philly), so it would be an easier 2 games to catch in a row if fans wanted to go down and see them.

The whole thing is weird. Presumably whoever the host nations are will be playing in their own venue. Right now only 6 teams have qualified, and only one of them is Caribbean. So if it's true that it will be one Central American team and one Caribbean either it's going to be T&T as the Caribbean nation, or they are waiting to see who qualifies in March. It seems odd, if say, Jamaica is their favourite to host, but it comes down to their final game to see if they can even qualify. If Jamaica somehow doesn't qualify, does that mean T&T get it? Or maybe Haiti or someone that goes through qualification? It's all very weird to not have this settled before the schedule is released.

And if it is a draw, does that mean it will be a draw, but with the host nations placed into B and C first?

3 days after announcing how the quarterfinal matchups would work, CONCACAF has changed their minds on what groups they want crossing over with each other once the group stage is complete. ? 

The original quarterfinals were A with C and B with D. Now it's A with B and C with D.

So, you're either on the Mexico/Costa Rica side of the draw for the elimination rounds, or the Honduras/US side of the draw. I guess they didn't want to take the chance that Costa Rica could take out the US in the semis when it was B vs. D originally, so let's just change what we've already published in order to give the US a better chance to get to the final. Can't say I'm surprised. ?

On 10/9/2018 at 11:17 PM, Kusch to the Corner said:

Venues for next year's Gold cup announced. Any ideas on what "non-US venue TBD" likely becomes?

https://www.goldcup.org/en/article/concacaf-announces-venues-and-dates-for-the-2019-gold-cup-seeded-nations

Canada should host it ! Hutch’s last Tourney on home  soil ! And we win it !! How perfect would that be !!! 

Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton,  Regina,  Winnipeg , Hamilton, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal X2 , Quebec City ,  Moncton , Halifax, St.John’s 

Also put  Honduras in St. john’s I heard they love it up there ! 

Edited by SpecialK

• 3 weeks later...

Never bothered posting this at the time, but the Costa Rican media believe that the 16th of June games are likely to be hosted at the Estadio National in San José Costa Rica:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estadio_Nacional_de_Costa_Rica_(2011)

http://www.crhoy.com/deportes/la-sele-podria-jugar-un-partido-de-la-copa-oro-en-costa-rica/

http://www.lateja.cr/deportes/sele-jugaria-un-partido-de-copa-oro-en-el-estadio/ZXXCLJRIXREJLPTKN2W4HHR54M/story/

As for the 17th of June games, Diez (Honduran media) believe that game might actually be played in Canada or Mexico! I have also not read anything that hints that they think Honduras itself will be the hosts of the game.

http://www.diez.hn/laseleccion/1223090-498/seleccion-de-honduras-conoce-las-ciudades-donde-jugara-la-copa-oro-2019

The VP for Fepafut said the game will NOT be in Panama:

http://www.rpctv.com/deportes/futbol/Descartan-Panama-partido-Copa-Oro_0_1180082728.html

However, back in June, Jamaica made it clear that they wanted to host a game:

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sports/jamaica-declares-intention-to-launch-bid-to-host-historic-gold-cup-match_137737

I am going to be optimistic and speculate that if we qualify for the 2019 Gold Cup, that there is a good chance that we may host a game. Has Independence Park had any work done since 1962? Their bid may have failed.

CONCACAF only said this back in February:

"The Confederation is also exploring a pan-regional footprint for the 2019 Gold Cup, which would feature matches played outside the United States, including the possibility of matches in Central America and the Caribbean."

http://www.goldcup.org/en/article/concacaf-announces-gold-cup-expansion-to-16-teams-opening-access-for-more-nations-to-participate-and-host

One game in Costa Rica and one game in Canada would fulfill this promise.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

San Jose is totally believable, and perhaps Panama City, but I don't see Honduras or Guatemala hosting for financial reasons.

But Panama would have to end up in Group C for that to happen.

I'm pretty stoked for this tournament.

It's early, but David and Tabla have been great additions to the program.

Hutchinson has extended his NT career.

I haven't been more bullish for a Gold Cup. 

I think we can win it, but I would consider a SF appearance a successful tournament. Bare minimum is QF.

I believe this is now a 16 team tournament, so no more 3rd place advancements. In theory I suppose there is less margin for error.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I'm pretty stoked for this tournament.

It's early, but David and Tabla have been great additions to the program.

Hutchinson has extended his NT career.

I haven't been more bullish for a Gold Cup. 

I think we can win it, but I would consider a SF appearance a successful tournament. Bare minimum is QF.

I believe this is now a 16 team tournament, so no more 3rd place advancements. In theory I suppose there is less margin for error.

I watched part of the USA - England game... They were atrocious. This is a very beatable team while Costa Rica might be on a decline

39 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I watched part of the USA - England game... They were atrocious. This is a very beatable team while Costa Rica might be on a decline

Costa Rica is indeed regressing back to the average in CONCACAF, their 2014 squad (which was a very good squad even by world standards) is no longer there

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

I see it this way as well.

I watched the first half and England was clearly the better team, even with a second-string side.

Unlike the US, England are in a stable place and are coming off some good results, so we must factor that in.

That said, I enjoyed watching the Americans struggle. I think we can now match them talent-wise. At least when it comes to our starting 11. I expect some tight matches in the future.

Costa Rica will eventually phase out players like Bryan Ruiz and Kaylor Navas, but I think that's still a few years away. Because they don't seem to have a strong generation coming up (like we do), they may hold on to such players for as long as they can. Honduras are in a similar spot, perhaps with a bit more of a cushion. Panama as we know are smack dab in the thick of it. I think they'll be the first team we'll overtake.

4 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Costa Rica won away against a full strength Chile last night.  They had a 3-0 lead at one point.

That probably speaks a lot to Chile's decline. Vidal is not playing much at Barca. Sanchez is not playing much at United. Bravo (is he still their number 1?) Is the back up at City. They failed to make the WC. Etc.

2 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

Costa Rica is indeed regressing back to the average in CONCACAF, their 2014 squad (which was a very good squad even by world standards) is no longer there

I feel like their key players are all still there.  They just weren’t a Cinderella story this time around but it happens.. they still played well and in qualifying were their usual selves.  They beat the USA 2-0 on the road in a must win and just beat Chile, haven’t regressed IMO.