Gold Cup 2019

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

This was tough. I don't envy Herdman having to make these decisions.

Could not agree more, there will be about 5 players that will not make it, who would have made it almost any other cycle.

Good explanations, I like your Miller inclusion, he also has played quite a bit of LCB in a back 3.  Good point about Edgar leadership, I think Henry will take over this leadership role over time. My concern about CB's is Henry's hammy/injury status, which means maybe we do take 5 CBs.

I'm not sure Herdman leaves Cordova out here of the final roster. We need to expand our defender pool as much as possible, the fact he's playing in Chile Prem and can play either side goes a very long way for us. I'm not calling him the 2nd coming but I would be disappointed if Cordova was not called.

49 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

Don't forget, Piette will be huge for us this tourny as a #6.  He's having an excellent season, great tackling, outlet passing has improved immensely. I could see him starting for us in the KO rounds, at worse probably first sub off the bench, especially if we have a lead. He's 24 years old with 40 +  international caps.

In the CDM Role, Atiba plays; only if he can't then put in Piette. It's Hutchinson's International retirement after the Gold Cup, In the fall for Nations League; Johnson is a temporary option until Eustaquio comes back healthy and good form for Cruz Azul in Liga MX

But yeah Piette will be huge for us going forward, he'll have a much larger role to play as he gets older! So much experience already 

Edited by Blackjack15

1 minute ago, apbsmith said:

Could not agree more, there will be about 5 players that will not make it, who would have made it almost any other cycle.

Good explanations, I like your Miller inclusion, he also has played quite a bit of LCB in a back 3.  Good point about Edgar leadership, I think Henry will take over this leadership role over time. My concern about CB's is Henry's hammy/injury status, which means maybe we do take 5 CBs.

I'm not sure Herdman leaves Cordova out here of the final roster. We need to expand our defender pool as much as possible, the fact he's playing in Chile Prem and can play either side goes a very long way for us. I'm not calling him the 2nd coming but I would be disappointed if Cordova was not called.

If I had to choose which pick I may have wrong, it is probably this one. I really want Cordova to make it. I have liked this player ever since the U-23 camp. I hope he makes it, but we'll see...

9 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

In the CDM Role, Atiba plays; only if he can't then put in Piette. It's Hutchinson's International retirement after the Gold Cup, In the fall for Nations League; Johnson is a temporary option until Eustaquio comes back healthy and good form for Cruz Azul in Liga MX

Except Atiba has been playing higher up the pitch vs softer competition for us his last few outings.

Just to be clear you would start WJ over Piette at DM?

Also, against tough competition on the road in CONCACAF especially during WCQ, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Eustaquio and Piette on the field together as we won't really be rolling out 5-6 offensive players. 

Edited by apbsmith

I’ll be kinda pissed if we call Kamal Miller.  It’s just too risky of a call in an already sensitive position.  The guy has only played 4 pro matches to date, it would be good for him to stay with his club.  

We need at least one of Edgar, Hainault, Straith called Imo.  Just a calming presence that has been there and if we run into cards or injuries it’s not a shock/panic for the whole team.  This team is too talented to screw around with one or two call ups.

7 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

Except Atiba has been playing higher up the pitch vs softer competition for us his last few outings.

Just to be clear you would start WJ over Piette at DM?

Also, against tough competition on the road in CONCACAF especially during WCQ, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Eustaquio and Piette on the field together as we won't really be rolling out 6+ offensive players. 

No I would not, Piette is the natural replacement and future of the National Team, he would be in my XI as the sole DM if it wasn't for Atiba. What I meant was when Hutchinson retires, who is next in line for the 6 central midfielders behind Arfield, Osorio, MAK, Teibert - It's Will Johnson. Chapman and Wotherspoon have shown well but are filler depth players in 23 man call-ups. WJ can help ease the transition, Eustaquio will be healthy in September; he will need minutes in Liga MX first snd then good to go in October for his debut against USA 

I agree 100%! Piette and Eustaquio together in a 4-2-3-1 for WCQ, what a duo that will be 

Edited by Blackjack15

I realize this might be sacrilege, but if we want to get most of our best players on the pitch at the same time, and with Henry looking doubtful, what about a CB pairing of James and Hutch? I'd love to get MAK on the field, likely playing in front of the CBs, then Arfield and David in the midfield, with Davies and Hoillet on the flanks. Or maybe we play Arfield and MAK in front of the CBs, with David as AM. That might make more sense in terms of a solid defensive structure.  One of the big challenges we face with our CBs is their poor distro out of the back. Hutch would be a big improvement.

45 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

Not a slate against you, just commenting...

How often do we really expect to be in our own end defending against Martinique and Cuba? No disrespect to those two countries, but I hope not very often.

This is why I see MAK getting minutes at LB this tourny, if our competition was different I would agree with you completely.

MAK would "line up" as a LB but really be playing almost the majority of the game as a LM, that's how I see it anyways.

Agree but if we play MAK at LB against Martinique it's unlikely we see him at CM vs Mexico a few days later. While I agree we must win our 1st and 3rd games we also need to show well against Mexico. We have only played minnows so far and Mexico will be our first real test. Herdman will want a good performance in that game to boost the confidence of the team and send a message

I know this is blasphemy but observing Atiba in person last game i find he's definitely lost a step. I would primarily use him off the bench. Maybe start him against Mexico as a starter because we'll be soaking up pressure. My starting midfield triangle 

Piette, MAK, Arfield

47 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I know this is blasphemy but observing Atiba in person last game i find he's definitely lost a step. 

Going to be an internet troll for one of the only few times of my life!

Only explanation...BLAME THE TURF!!! 

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

What do you base this opinion on?

Hasn't David started every match since USVI?

Exactly. Against teams that have not represented a challenge defensively for us as we got results by scoring in relative abundance. 

It rubs me the wrong way to see someone proposing putting MAK as an outside back so David can start in the middle when we already have goal potential in Lucas, Alphonso, Hoillet, Arfield, Osorio...that is not a balanced team on the field and this is not C division Nation's Cup.

11 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Exactly. Against teams that have not represented a challenge defensively for us as we got results by scoring in relative abundance. 

It rubs me the wrong way to see someone proposing putting MAK as an outside back so David can start in the middle when we already have goal potential in Lucas, Alphonso, Hoillet, Arfield, Osorio...that is not a balanced team on the field and this is not C division Nation's Cup.

Having watched David he’s pretty good defensively. 

Also Kaye has played LB professionally and has looked best there for Canada.  It’s not like Davies at LB.  I’m confident in Kaye’s defensive abilities.

31 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

We can only put out lineups though vs the team's we played. 

I'm pretty confident vs stronger opposition it will be Adekugbe at LB (just like last Gold Cup). 

I also think Herdman will go with a 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 for the majority of the tournament. David would prolly be RW/RF in the 4-3-3just like vs FG. In a 4-4-2 he's prolly up top with Cav. 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'm with you on the MAK at left back thing, but David hasn't done anything to suggest he's a defensive liability, which is how your comment came off to me. Thanks for clearing that up.

I don't love that Kaye is projected as the starting LB, but it is what it is. I would rather he play in the midfield, but he is a better player than Adekugbe at that spot, so I get it.

As for David, I don't see him switching to CAM at this point. 

2 hours ago, apbsmith said:

Going to be an internet troll for one of the only few times of my life!

Only explanation...BLAME THE TURF!!! 

He can still keep it simple, break up plays, play 1 2s but i noticed people played balls in to space and his first step wasnt there. 

On the flip side do we really need him to beat Martinique and Cuba? Why not create a lineup and shape with an eye on the future and playing on the front foot

4 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

It runs me the wrong way when someone thinks David wont be starting. 

He led a decent team in Belgium in scoring. 

He scored 4 goals in 4 games for Canada. 

He can play up top as a CAM or as a second striker. 

He starts over Cavalinni if he has to play up top. 

Liga MX is higher level than the Belgian League, If it were Erevidise then it would be similar level. Plus Cavallni is ripping it up and so is David! Great problem to have, Jonathan is much younger and has had a better NT start, but Lucas has that 8 seasons as pro 

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

If I had to choose which pick I may have wrong, it is probably this one. I really want Cordova to make it. I have liked this player ever since the U-23 camp. I hope he makes it, but we'll see...

I sure hope its Cordova over Godinho at this point.  I do like Godinho though as well.  Other than that, I think your lineup is spot on.

Edited by Corazon

37 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

Liga MX is higher level than the Belgian League, If it were Erevidise then it would be similar level. Plus Cavallni is ripping it up and so is David! Great problem to have, Jonathan is much younger and has had a better NT start, but Lucas has that 8 seasons as pro 

Completely different players.  I trust Cavallini to be the lone striker more, he’s just a handful physically. 

50 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

Is it though? I’d say its pretty even and the Erevidise is definitely better than Liga MX. Imagine what Ajax would do to Mexican teams. 

Against minnows we can debate all day long who should start and where, but against the top  teams and in the knockouts there is less to debate.

1. In a one striker formation  or Herdman's 4 3 3, it is Cavallini up front. No one else brings the work rate, tenacity, pressing and hold up play not to mention his scoring.

2. David should start but that means Davies sits. Herdman has not played David as a AM yet. Will he change tactics when the stakes are high? I think not. This is where friendlies would have helped

3. Our back 4 is the "weak link"....so we have to compensate with using 3 mids that are all defensively sound and play those positions with their club teams like Arfield, Kaye & Atiba, with Piette/Osorio subbing in depending on the score. 

The reason I like Kaye in the middle is that he moves the ball quickly, can cut open defences  with his incisive passes and is a scoring threat. He's been doing it all season with LAFC.  Also has a great engine and covers a lot of ground. We are going to need that against the top teams...but that's the call for the coaches. 

Edited by Kadenge

20 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Against minnows we can debate all day long who should start and where, but against the top  teams and in the knockouts there is less to debate.

1. In a one striker formation  or Herdman's 4 3 3, it is Cavallini up front. No one else brings the work rate, tenacity, pressing and hold up play not to mention his scoring.

2. David should start but that means Davies sits. Herdman has not played David as a AM yet. Will he change tactics when the stakes are high? I think not. This is where friendlies would have helped

3. Our back 4 is the "weak link"....so we have to compensate with using 3 mids that are all defensively sound and play those positions with their club teams like Arfield, Kaye & Atiba, with Piette/Osorio subbing in depending on the score. 

The reason I like Kaye in the middle is that he moves the ball quickly, can cut open defences  with his incisive passes and is a scoring threat. He's been doing it all season with LAFC.  Also has a great engine and covers a lot of ground. We are going to need that against the top teams...but that's the call for the coaches. 

No way a healthy Davies sits when we field our best 11.  I don't know who makes room as there are always a couple of differences of opinion about our best 11, but he won the golden boot at the 2017 GC.  Even if the only way to accommodate him is at LB (*shudder*) then so be it.  But he is on the field.

Edited by dyslexic nam