Gold Cup 2019

Also want to add that last night was a demonstration of two teams doing anything to win at an exceptionally high level.

Talent wise, I think we can play with both of those teams without getting embaressed. We have some very good players, especially in attack.

That said, our group doesn't know what it takes to win. Canada hasn't had such a group in a long, long time. This is the big difference that no John Herdman mind room can solve. It won't hurt and I am sure it will help, to a degree, but there's no substitute for winning.

To build a champion mindset, you need to become champion, or at least gain experience in the fight. Haiti earned the right to gain this experience against Mexico. We threw away our chance at that. I am still angry about it and the players should be too.

Nations league is soon, Mexico and US will renew acquaintances in a September friendly at MetLife.

CSA, What preparation do we have planned? Are you going to book a friendly, or are we going to just accept everything is fine and assume no prep is required? 

26 minutes ago, Obinna said:

CSA, What preparation do we have planned? Are you going to book a friendly, or are we going to just accept everything is fine and assume no prep is required? 

I wouldn’t get my hopes up TBH.  Just looking at wikipedia the last 5 years, we’ve regressed so badly with friendlies.

2015 - 5 friendlies

2016 - 6 friendlies

2017 - 5 friendlies

2018 - 1 friendly

2019 - 1 friendly

The trend is going downwards each year to the point that Herdman says Canada doesn’t need friendlies.  Shows what the CSA thinks of friendlies.

Edited by nolbertos

If Berhalter was smart he'd be using the Nations League games to work in a lot of the younger guys that played in the U20 World Cup and have them be the core for World Cup Qualifying...start phasing Bradley out for sure...Altidore has maybe this last cycle left in him...

10 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Also want to add that last night was a demonstration of two teams doing anything to win at an exceptionally high level.

Talent wise, I think we can play with both of those teams without getting embaressed. We have some very good players, especially in attack.

That said, our group doesn't know what it takes to win. Canada hasn't had such a group in a long, long time. This is the big difference that no John Herdman mind room can solve. It won't hurt and I am sure it will help, to a degree, but there's no substitute for winning.

To build a champion mindset, you need to become champion, or at least gain experience in the fight. Haiti earned the right to gain this experience against Mexico. We threw away our chance at that. I am still angry about it and the players should be too.

Nations league is soon, Mexico and US will renew acquaintances in a September friendly at MetLife.

I agree with everything. The only thing you tip-toed around is not mentioning a change of head coach. 

I think we have championship minded players. We have players who have won in Europe, competed and won domestically, young skillful hungry fiery talents - all the piece you need for a championship team in Concacaf right now.

What we need is a coach who will set us up to win. Period. We weren't setup against Mexico, and paid the price against Haiti. All coaches decisions. 

I won't expect nothing from the CSA in terms of preparation. It showed for the Gold Cup with the not-a-friendly-your-a-friendly-game with Trinidad. Our coach has gone on the record basically implying that they aren't necessary. So i'll be surprised if we schedule anything. 

We won't survive CNL without preparation aka friendlies...but in the end we'll beat Cuba and it will better our ranking for WCQ and everything will be OKAY! 

14 minutes ago, mrstepp817 said:

If Berhalter was smart he'd be using the Nations League games to work in a lot of the younger guys that played in the U20 World Cup and have them be the core for World Cup Qualifying...start phasing Bradley out for sure...Altidore has maybe this last cycle left in him...

Wrong forum... 

16 minutes ago, Shway said:

I agree with everything. The only thing you tip-toed around is not mentioning a change of head coach. 

I think we have championship minded players. We have players who have won in Europe, competed and won domestically, young skillful hungry fiery talents - all the piece you need for a championship team in Concacaf right now.

What we need is a coach who will set us up to win. Period. We weren't setup against Mexico, and paid the price against Haiti. All coaches decisions. 

I won't expect nothing from the CSA in terms of preparation. It showed for the Gold Cup with the not-a-friendly-your-a-friendly-game with Trinidad. Our coach has gone on the record basically implying that they aren't necessary. So i'll be surprised if we schedule anything. 

We won't survive CNL without preparation aka friendlies...but in the end we'll beat Cuba and it will better our ranking for WCQ and everything will be OKAY! 

Just as you don't expect the CSA to book friendlies (neither do I), I don't expect them to change the coach.

They've really painted themselves into a corner. They are going to stick with Herdman for the duration of this cycle, guaranteed. And furthermore, the only scenario I see them firing him is if we fail to advance to the HEX. 

For me, failing to make the WC should be grounds for termination, but I see the bar as being set much lower than my expectations. Getting to the hex with this group is not good enough for this group. We need to qualify for the world cup. It's time.

13 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Just as you don't expect the CSA to book friendlies (neither do I), I don't expect them to change the coach.

They've really painted themselves into a corner. They are going to stick with Herdman for the duration of this cycle, guaranteed. And furthermore, the only scenario I see them firing him is if we fail to advance to the HEX. 

For me, failing to make the WC should be grounds for termination, but I see the bar as being set much lower than my expectations. Getting to the hex with this group is not good enough for this group. We need to qualify for the world cup. It's time.

Agree.  That’s still two years away.  I think if we don’t qualify, if Herdman doesn’t walk, the CSA will/should toss him.

The only thing more unacceptable than 1 friendly per year is dismissing the lack of friendlies as a problem. 

Unless you genuinely don't believe it's a big deal, which is a different problem entirely.

Either way, it is disheartening as a fan. We actually have good players coming up and it pains me to see those we wish to rival (Mexico, usa) play games and progress, while we stand still wishing upon a star to magically improve.

17 minutes ago, Obinna said:

The only thing more unacceptable than 1 friendly per year is dismissing the lack of friendlies as a problem. 

Unless you genuinely don't believe it's a big deal, which is a different problem entirely.

Either way, it is disheartening as a fan. We actually have good players coming up and it pains me to see those we wish to rival (Mexico, usa) play games and progress, while we stand still wishing upon a star to magically improve.

Not to worry though, soccer is the no. 1 participation sport in the country so everything's fine!

19 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I suspect there is going to be more friendlies, 2019 is just not the year for them.  Every single program U17, U20, Senior, Olympic.... was operating this year, and some of those programs in multiple official tournaments.  The resources were just not there. 

If we have no friendlies next year, something is very wrong. 

1 minute ago, admin said:

I suspect there is going to be more friendlies, 2019 is just not the year for them.  Every single program U17, U20, Senior, Olympic.... was operating this year, and some of those programs in multiple official tournaments.  The resources were just not there. 

What about 2018 then?

3 hours ago, admin said:

No my friend something has been wrong for a long time with the so few quality friendlies or any friendlies compared to a lot of nations in this region who seem to always play more friendlies than Canada no need to wait for 2019, its ok you can be critical of the CSA it’s not unpatriotic trust me !

1 hour ago, SoccMan said:

No my friend something has been wrong for a long time with the so few quality friendlies or any friendlies compared to a lot of nations in this region who seem to always play more friendlies than Canada no need to wait for 2019, its ok you can be critical of the CSA it’s not unpatriotic trust me !

Wow... something is wrong with Canadian soccer... no shit.  You think I'm not critical of the CSA? Only one of us sitting here at their computer ready to throw away 20 years of work because I am fucking sick this shit. 

I was offering a possible explanation on top of the fact we were slated to play at least 12 official games this year....  Sure let's play 5 more friendlies and make sure our players don't have jobs next time the contracts come around and spend money we don't have.

The observation is still correct. If we somehow are not playing friendlies in 2019, it's a real problem. It is for me as home games are the only thing that remotely keep this alive. 

On 7/8/2019 at 1:07 AM, BCM said:

Some of you will disagree, but the future of US soccer should be bright. They have a really strong young core, including the spine of a team, and others that will improve with a little more age (ie Long). 2022 and 2026 should be good for them...I'm just wondering if coaching will keep them down.

No doubt. 

I, like probably most here, want the US, along with us,  to become world class and a serious rivalry to develop between the countries that rivals the best in Europe and South America.

On 7/8/2019 at 2:13 PM, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Gold Cup Final outdrew the 2018 World Cup final on Univision

Great... and we thought this years rendition of the Gold Cup was too rigged for the US-Mexico final.. wait until next go around. "Top 2 teams in the region" get a bye to the semi's? Heck maybe top 2 teams get a bye to the final.

Either way the idea will be suddenly scrapped for "fairness" reasons as soon as the US drops in rank to #3.