Gold Cup 2019

Here is the value of the top 10 provisional list rosters according to Transfermarkt. (I realize no-one likes using it, but cool to see that we have arguably the 3rd/4th most valuable roster). I also expect in a year or two this will take a major jump with David, Davies, and others making a large Bailey-like increase.

Mexico - 179,450,000 Euros

USA - 143,980,000

Jamaica - 49,83,0000 (Bailey @ 35,000,000)

Canada - 42,980,000

Costa Rica - 34,900,000

Curacao - 19,250,000

Honduras - 18,580,000

Panama - 10,850,000

Haiti - 8,930,000

T&T - 8,130,000

Ouch, so without Bailey (which is expected) Jamaica is 1/3 Canada’s squad value.  I’d expect us to be closer to that USA number in the next few years.

This is telling.  This gold cup is a time to send a message.  We haven’t had a truly satisfying win (in my mind) since 2007 v Guatemala.  I hope we come out of the gate and wipe the floor with Martinique to open the tournament.  My hope is that at the end of game one and heading into our Mexico match the hype is at an all time high.  

The final game against Cuba should be an absolute slaughter.  With our depth and Cuba’s defections and travel across the country anything less than a 3 goal win will be a disappointment.  Somehow we always suck against Cuba at all levels.

Edited by CanadaFan123

@Stryker911 market value listing sort of reflects the club quality level that players are at. It's been discussed before but if you look at the rosters of Panama and Honduras we should be way ahead of them. CR's squad is also not intimidating. I think Curacao may turn out to be the surprise team. Getting really excited for this GC  and hope we can put our demons to rest once and for all.

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

We aren’t going to use Busti or Pantemis either. It’s just symbolic and the message is that you have a better shot not playing than actually playing.  Even if you didn’t want to call a CPL keeper there are guys in USL like Irving and Macleod who are much more deserving than Busti or Pantemis at this stage.  Even St Clair would be more deserving having just won a national championship months back and has played USL.  

Reward players who are playing, even if it’s symbolically.  That’s all those keeper calls were.

Honestly I would have called Ranjitsingh as well over those guys.  Let’s be aggressive and smart.  Calling Busti and Pantemis is neither.

I know it's extremely unlikely, but if Borjan and Crepeau get injured, one of those guys likely makes the final 23, like it or not. 

Once again, if your plan is to ensure Cavalry, for example, are not left short-handed, you can't call Carducci for the sake of symbology, because if injury strikes that's one less player you can call upon. Can't very well say "oh don't worry, I won't take him from you, I just want to name him for optics", then turn around and call him in because injuries.

As for those USL guys vs. youth like Busti/Pantemis, that's another matter, but the latter have been in NT camp recently, so perhaps that's why they made the cut.

Edited by Obinna

43 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I think they have a player from Cardiff City in the squad, no?

Ya Leandro Bacuna then theres Cuco Martina from Feyenoord who is the best player in the 40 for me. Throw in the guys playing for some very respectable clubs throughtout Europe and you have a player pool better than countries like Panama T&T and Jamaica on paper 

31 minutes ago, Strait Red said:

Yes Leandro Bacuna, who is a MF. They also have Cuzco Martina who has played for Everton.

Right. He's there captain too if I recall correctly. I think they're in the American's group. I hope they pull an upset. Seems like a team the US would sleep on.

On paper, they are right there with Jamaica, T&T and El Salvador. I would love to see them do well. CONCACAF could always use more competitive teams.

This maybe a stupid question, but I thought that by virtue of Jamaica's position in the Nations League (8th) they didn't qualify for the Gold Cup? Why the nervousness about finishing in the top 6 if number 7 and 8 qualified?

1 minute ago, BCM said:

This maybe a stupid question, but I thought that by virtue of Jamaica's position in the Nations League (8th) they didn't qualify for the Gold Cup? Why the nervousness about finishing in the top 6 if number 7 and 8 qualified?

The Top 10 in the Nations League qualifying made the Gold Cup, so Nicaragua and El Salvador (9th and 10th) also made it, the latter at the expense of Cinderella-story Monsterrat.

Jamaica finishing 8th meant they didn't qualify for League A of the Concacaf Nations league, which might be what you are thinking. You had to be Top 6 for that, although Guyana at 7th (thanks in part to being awarded a win after a 2-2 draw as their opponent fielded an ineligible player) was actually the top runner up.

3 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

The Top 10 in the Nations League qualifying made the Gold Cup, so Nicaragua and El Salvador (9th and 10th) also made it, the latter at the expense of Cinderella-story Monsterrat.

Jamaica finishing 8th meant they didn't qualify for League A of the Concacaf Nations league, which might be what you are thinking. You had to be Top 6 for that, although Guyana at 7th (thanks in part to being awarded a win after a 2-2 draw as their opponent fielded an ineligible player) was actually the top runner up.

That was it, the A League. Thanks.

On 5/20/2019 at 6:58 PM, toontownman said:

Okello is very much earmarked as a top top prospect more so than Fraser and Chapman isnt he? He certainly has all the tools but was lacking the concentration and consistency at the U20s late last year. 

Could be they are just grooming him with the older players and getting around the likes of atiba while they can. 

Okello is such a physical presence that he's ready for it, at least on that level. And I'd still try him in the backline (but that is more up to TFC). 

I'm actually ok with no CanPl guys on this roster for 2019. The league is in its first season and really all clubs need their best players to gel and get going. 

The 2021 GC is different. By that time, alot of Canadian talent will have distinguished themselves and truly earned a call up. 

Perhaps we will see our first call ups for the Nations League. 

Let the lads develop for now. Its going to be bloody phenominal to watch canadians come through the CPL as the years add up. We have always waited for this....

Prediction - 23 man roster [4-3-3] 

Goalkeepers: (3)

GK - Milan Borjan

GK - Maxime Crepeau

GK - Jayson Leutwiler

Defenders: (7)

LB - Sam Adekugbe

CB - Doneil Henry

CB - Manjrekar James

CB - Andre Hainault

CB - Derek Cornelius

RB - Marcus Godihno

RB - Zach Brault-Guillard

Central Midfielders: (5)

CDM - Atiba Hutchinson [RET]*

CDM - Samuel Piette

CM - Scott Arfield [C]*

CM - Jonathan Osorio

CM/LB - Mark Anthony Kaye

CM - Russell Teibert

Wingers: (2)

W - Alphonso Davies

W - Junior Hoilett 

Forwards: (5)

CF - Lucas Cavallini

CF - Cyle Larin

CF - Tosaint Ricketts 

CAM/W - Jonathan David

ST/W - Tesho Akindele 

Just misses the cut by position | Called up in case of injury | Replacements

GK - Simon Thomas, LB - Ashtone Morgan, CB - Adam Straith, CB - Kamal Miller, RB - Juan Cordova, CM - Will Johnson, MF - David Wotherspoon, W - Liam Millar, CF - Anthony Jackson-Hamel

Not considered: Ballou Tabla and Raheem Edwards (Lack of Playing Time) 

Not available | INJ: CDM/CM - Stephen Eustaquio 

*RET = Will retire from the National Team post Gold Cup

*C = Named Captain 

image.jpeg

Edited by Blackjack15

1 hour ago, Mikmacdo said:

Theres no way m.a.k or david arent starting. 

I would also take Cordova over godinho who hasn't been playing much. 

Zgb-henry-Cornelius-kaye

Arfield-hutch-david

Davies-cav-hoilet

I don't think David will start, for 3 reasons:

-can't start too many strikers /attacking mids

-need to ensure our maximum quality in midfield is on the pitch

-David is not clearly prepared to be pushed into a defensive mode if need be

3 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I don't think David will start, for 3 reasons:

-can't start too many strikers /attacking mids

-need to ensure our maximum quality in midfield is on the pitch

-David is not clearly prepared to be pushed into a defensive mode if need be

What do you base this opinion on?

Hasn't David started every match since USVI?

Also, I see people counting out Ballou due to PT.

I get it, we have options and we should be calling players based on form.

But guys, I really don't see Tabla being left out. He just has too much talent. He's part of the future and Herdman really put in work to convince him to commit. Do you think he's going to turn around and leave him out because he's had a hard time for half a season with a club chasing La Liga promotion? Give me a break. That's not going to happen.

The Gold Cup is important, but it's not WCQ. If WC qualifying is on the line, I think Tabla gets dropped. You need fit players who are in form for an all or nothing match. This is not the case. This is a tournament that gives the group it's first chance at real competition. This is about development as much as results. Tabla is part of that group now and in the future. He'll be there.

WCQ is what matters.

Also, you're kidding yourself if you think Liam Miller won't make it. He'll definitely make the final 23.

Edited by Obinna