Gold Cup 2019

32 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Okello is very much earmarked as a top top prospect more so than Fraser and Chapman isnt he? He certainly has all the tools but was lacking the concentration and consistency at the U20s late last year. 

Could be they are just grooming him with the older players and getting around the likes of atiba while they can. 

Could be part of it but the explanation I suggested earlier is likely the a bigger factor - TFC asking them not to take another two midfielders who make our game day 18 every game when they are already losing two to the Gold Cup to begin with.

15 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Could be part of it but the explanation I suggested earlier is likely the a bigger factor - TFC asking them not to take another two midfielders who make our game day 18 every game when they are already losing two to the Gold Cup to begin with.

For sure. Both Chapman and Fraser are known commodities that wouldn't have made the 23. Why pull them away regardless. 

3 hours ago, Alex said:

Zero guys from the canpl 

Emery Welshman from Forge FC made the Guyana squad and Kareem Moses from FC Edmonton and John Michael Williams from HFX Wanderers are called in for Trinidad and Tobago!

Edited by Daryn27

If I'm Herdman and I think the team is in a position to make a statement at this tournament I'm going to depend on players I know over unknown quantities.  A guy like Jakovic in particular has a wealth of experience against very good competition.  Edwards has had some great flashes in MLS.  As fans we might not but coaches generally value body of work over just new shiny toys.  Buchanon looks promising but really just getting started with a poor New England team and CanPL players have 3-5 games under their belts.

One prediction: right now we are arguing about which of 50 or so players should be on the 40 man.  When next Gold Cup rolls around that number will be more like 80, and the arguments on this board even fiercer.  

Most important for me, not one omission of who I wanted on our 23 man roster.

Very happy to see Cordova on the list.

Also glad we listed *4* veteran CB's for our one veteran CB spot (especially if Henry's injury lingers )

Edgar

Hainault

Jakovic

Straight

Pick one of those 3 for the veteran spot, maybe have to pick 2/4 depending on Henry's status.

The 23 I want are there, so I'm good :).

Edited by apbsmith
Forgot one CB*

Assuming no injuries, If Edgar makes the 23 it means no Miller unfortunately.  I thinkTabla and Millar will both make the 23; Millar on merit and Tabla for his potential...a good performance could boost his stock... a.k.a MAK in 2017. Herdman will want to keep some of the bright young players at big Euro clubs. I hope Tesho makes the 23 as I don't think David has played as a single striker and not sure he is a hold up type player. Larin would be the obvious choice but timing is everything for a striker and he has not played much

3 hours ago, gator said:

As for Roberts, I've always liked him and didn't think he got a fair chance at TFC at all, from watching him play at Forge he is well down the list of our National keepers, he's struggling to get starts with Forge, I don't blame him for going where he might get a chance to play nationally!

I agree with you on Roberts.  If a CPL player is going to make it he wouldn’t be my first choice at the moment.  

I think he’s getting a fair chance now at Forge but the league is showing other players that are excelling now.

I’m a bit surprised at Hainaut and Jakovic as inclusions.  I think there were younger options that could be better.

There’s no clear cut omission.  Maybe Aird Hamilton or Petrasso would be the notable exclusions.

All that being said this is the best top to bottom depth that I can remember for a GC roster.  We’re going to have a very solid team I think.

11 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

I’m a bit surprised at Hainaut and Jakovic as inclusions.  I think there were younger options that could be better.

There’s no clear cut omission.  Maybe Aird Hamilton or Petrasso would be the notable exclusions.

All that being said this is the best top to bottom depth that I can remember for a GC roster.  We’re going to have a very solid team I think.

Aird has absolutely fallen off the map. Such a bright start to the Scottish Championship, then nothing. Not a peep about him being injured either.

I'm glad Hainault made the cut.  He was a mainstay on the team when he was in MLS (44caps), and has been playing at a good level again.  if we can call Edgar and Jakovic for their experience why not Hainault who is actually playing?  

I'm not too worried about the CPL guys not getting called.  Too bad some of them are going elsewhere though.  And if we were calling 6 keepers, why not send a call to Ranjatsingh??  Maybe he is happy with where he's at.  But overall a good list, not surprised there is complaining, but happy we are complaining about legitimate guys not making the 40 now.  Bodes well for next WCQ.  

1) As others have stated, too many keepers. The minimum was 4. The USA team picked 5. We picked 6. I don't understand it. I really don't.

2) What happened to Steven Vitória ? Has he gotten minutes in Poland recently? Injured? 

3) Lots of talk about CPL guys, but I would have picked Carl Haworth.  He can play right-back or as an attacker. Perhaps some hometeam bias but the guy is good. MLS-level good. Better option than Ricketts I'd argue.

(Attakora would have been a great defender too but he's not back to 100% - he would have been on my 40-man squad if the Gold Cup was last summer).

1 minute ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

1) As others have stated, too many keepers. The minimum was 4. The USA team picked 5. We picked 6. I don't understand it. I really don't.

2) What happened to Steven Vitória ? Has he gotten minutes in Poland recently? Injured? 

3) Lots of talk about CPL guys, but I would have picked Carl Haworth.  He can play right-back or as an attacker. Perhaps some hometeam bias but the guy is good. MLS-level good. Better option than Ricketts I'd argue.

(Attakora would have been a great defender too but he's not back to 100% - he would have been on my 40-man squad if the Gold Cup was last summer).

1) Seems like a way to reach the 40 player limit. I can't imagine Herdman is actually that conflicted about who the 3rd keeper is. Let's face it, Borjan and Crepeau must be 1 and 2, why on earth name another 4 for the last spot?

2) I think he last played in the recent Polish Cup win. He came on late in the game if I recall correctly. Aside from that, it's been a lot of riding the bench.

3) Good point on the Ottawa guys. Haiti called in a Fury player didn't they?

34 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Anyone else notice Leon Baily was called into Jamaica? Probably just a hopeful call, as he's rejected their advancements with regularity, but that would be a game changer for them if he's a legitimate selection.

Looks like Daniel Johnson from Preston North End is included as well. As for Bailey he was in Jamaica ready to play one of these previous windows which makes me think it's his adopted father/agent being salty about his other son

Just noticed Ravel Morrison is also in the 40 

Edited by KW519

Ok, both versions seem to have 40 players.

PDF version:  http://gallery.mailchimp.com/78d3589fb61466b549ff752e5/files/041bd60a-92da-467b-b8d6-d6a51bae68bd/2019_Concacaf_Gold_Cup_Preliminary_Lists_May_20.pdf

-Noble Okello

-Adam Straith

-David Wotherspoon

Website version:  http://www.goldcup.org/en/gold-cup/teams/2019/475#tab_team=roster or http://www.goldcup.org/es/copa-oro/teams/2019/475#tab_team=roster

-Shamit Shome

-Liam Fraser

-Jay Chapman

The other 37 players seem to be the same. W.T.F.

Triple facepalm.

giphy.gif

Hmmm that’s really weird.  I suspect the tweeted version is correct and it’s because of politics.

Montreal is already donating a fair number of players and is worried that they could lose 2/3 of their midfield.  Plus Shome JUST became an every week starter and may not want to lose his place

Chapman and Fraser not making it because as noted Toronto FC is worried about losing all its midfielders and these guys will be playing while Oso and Bradley are at Gold Cup.

1 hour ago, baulderdash77 said:

Hmmm that’s really weird.  I suspect the tweeted version is correct and it’s because of politics.

Montreal is already donating a fair number of players and is worried that they could lose 2/3 of their midfield.  Plus Shome JUST became an every week starter and may not want to lose his place

Chapman and Fraser not making it because as noted Toronto FC is worried about losing all its midfielders and these guys will be playing while Oso and Bradley are at Gold Cup.

This is a good situation for some of these young players who haven't been called specifically Chapman and Fraser, I think they have deserved more playing time at their club, now Vanney may have to play them more, let's hope they seize  the opportunity and show well! I'm sure there will be a few others in a similar situation with the Caps and Impact, our overall depth is sure improving!

Just now, badname22 said:

The vast amount of goalkeepers is weird but part of me thinks the amount of players can play centre back is quite big too.  Part of me feels like Herdman might go for a back three 

Or its the weakest position and he wants competition at cb. Maybe vs mexico three at the back?

My guess is the roster with Chapman Fraser and Shome is the original roster Herdman went with before the MLS teams complained or put pressure to keep those players, and then a hastily revised roster was sent out with those three swapped with Okello, Wotherspoon and Straith (although Straith is not a like for like replacement for any of those three aforementioned players, so who knows, I could be completely wrong on that)