Gold Cup 2019

31 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

Mexico is fine.  They have tremendous depth at every position compared to other CONCACAF teams.  

Even with those 4 out they are still large favourites.

Absolutely still the favourites with their depth but those are still big losses.

5 hours ago, Corazon said:

I know it's been mentioned before already but Lozano may miss through injury, Chicharito apparently as he awaits the birth of his child and Vela might ultimately decline the invitation.  Along with Herrera, that leaves 4 big holes in Mexico's roster.  They have plenty of firepower to step into those roles but it will make life more difficult for Mexico if all four are not there this summer.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/soccer/soccer/2019/05/09/will-mexico-stars-carlos-vela-hirving-lozano-arlington-upcoming-matches-att-stadium

I hope this isn't a trend developing where the best players choose not to go to the Gold Cup. I welcome a weaker Mexico since we will be playing them, but overall this is bad for the tournament and hence bad for CONCACAF.

36 minutes ago, johnyb said:

I hope this isn't a trend developing where the best players choose not to go to the Gold Cup. I welcome a weaker Mexico since we will be playing them, but overall this is bad for the tournament and hence bad for CONCACAF.

Just make it every 4 years. The lure of the GC can be tainted a little when it happens every other year. 

2 minutes ago, Shway said:

Just make it every 4 years. The lure of the GC can be tainted a little when it happens every other year. 

Or better yet, convince Comnebol (sp?) that a joint Copa Americas held every 4 years (like the euros) would be better for both regions.

51 minutes ago, johnyb said:

13 minutes ago, Shway said:

This has always been an issue with the Gold Cup being held every two years.  For years many countries, particularly Mexico would send their "B" squad to the tournaments in the years that did not qualify directly to the Confederations Cup.

If you compare to the squads the year before the Confederations Cup, they are much more competitive than the non-Confederations years .  In recent years, USA has won the tournament on these off years as Mexico would send their "B" squad. 

However, CONCACAF has recently changed this process so that both Gold Cup winners play eachother in a head to head playoff to qualify to Confederations Cup.

12 minutes ago, Corazon said:

However, CONCACAF has recently changed this process so that both Gold Cup winners play eachother in a head to head playoff to qualify to Confederations Cup.

And even more recently they've cancelled the Confederations Cup. The last one was in 2017.

http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/confederations-cup-cancelled-us-soccer-carlos-cordeiro

2 hours ago, Ivan said:

Or better yet, convince Comnebol (sp?) that a joint Copa Americas held every 4 years (like the euros) would be better for both regions.

Not sure about the confederations, bur many South American fans hate this idea. They feel that Concacaf would be getting the bigger gain and that they should merge the WCQs if they merge the Copa America too.

Of course, you could debate that they’re would be a larger cash incentive for them, which would attract the federations.

Anyone else think we have a chance to pick points off Mexico here? I mean, yes they are deep, but it's also a one-off game and we have an x-factor in Davies.

My concern though is that we steal a point (or dare I dream...3) points from Mexico, and they turn around and use that experience to figure us out in the semifinal and knock us out.

Teams shouldn't have to face each other twice unless it's in the final. 

7 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Anyone else think we have a chance to pick points off Mexico here? I mean, yes they are deep, but it's also a one-off game and we have an x-factor in Davies.

My concern though is that we steal a point (or dare I dream...3) points from Mexico, and they turn around and use that experience to figure us out in the semifinal and knock us out.

Teams shouldn't have to face each other twice unless it's in the final. 

I'd be happy to play them twice.

Hector Hererra is a big loss for them, perhaps bigger than Chicharito. Hererra has captained Porto since the 2015-16 season. He's a lead by example player who drives Mexico forward in the middle. He killed us in Vancouver. Guadardo and whoever joins him in the midfield (probably Jonathan Dos Santos, and someone like Dueanas) are good but beatable. The way Kaye is playing right now, with Arfield doing brilliant with Rangers, and Hutchinson still starting for Besiktas, i'd call it even at minimum, at least based on talent (experience playing together perhaps lacking, comparatively). 

Midfield is where games are won and lost, but both teams should match up competitively.

As always, conventional wisdom would suggest our defense may be in trouble against Mexico, but Henry is having a good year, so that is at least something. It wouldn't be all that surprising if he made life difficult for Jimenez. That will be a major battle and may determine the outcome in the end. For as good a season as Jimenez had in the English Premier League, it remains to be seen if he can be the main man for Mexico. No Chicharito, or Lozano, or Herrera, or Vela, or Corona means someone has to step up, and he'll be expected to be "the guy".

And finally, David and Cavallini and Davies and Hoilett are going to present challenges to Mexico's defense. We'll get a few chances but they must not be wasted (like Hoilett in Vancouver). It will be a measuring stick to see how good we really are going forward.

Can't wait for this game!  

Edited by Obinna

6 hours ago, Obinna said:

Yes it would, which was my point. My point was that it shouldn't be that way. The group winners and runner-ups should be crossing over to the other side of the bracket, but they never set the GC up this way. 

The U17s had the same schedule. And I agree it shouldn't be like this