Manjrekar James

12 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Who cares why he played? starting CB and keeping a clean sheet in a league game for the top Danish team is freaking amazing.

Who are our other CBs playing at that level again? 

No one, and I find it hilarious how most here seem to imply that he must become a full starter to be considered for the CMNT... ha, in reality even if he gets becomes a semi full time starter for FC Midtjylland then he automatically starts for the CMNT... none of Canada's CBs in the pool are currently close to playing at that level, period.

Edited by LeoH037

I wonder if this is part of the reason James was re-signed by the club. Perhaps they were taking a longer term view of their needs and saw a way that James could be developed/coached to fit into their plans while helping to keep Midtjylland performing during future fixture congestion (and/or if injuries occurred?)?

This is an description of the team by a FC Midtjylland fan on Reddit:

Our CB's Scholz and Sviatchenko are the heart and soul of the team. They're the backbone of the defence and the offensive buildup starts with them. I would also count Onyeka as an important piece as he is tireless in the CDM. Offensively we've got quite a few players who's equally important but Sisto, Evander and Dreyer are probably the biggest stars. We are a bit lackluster on the top - we need a forward who can score consistently.

Seems it will be hard to get a start ahead of those 2 CBs!

It was unlikely that James would see action in CL, unless there is an injury to a CB, but the experience of being on the bench vs the teams in their group will be huge...he may even get some time playing as a defensive mid which he has done for Midtjylland 

2 hours ago, JuicyHam said:

They got a horrendous draw with Liverpool, Atalanata and Ajax 

Disagree a bit.  Ajax had a great run a couple years ago but they to have to build with kids again as they sold most of them (again) and I think there were way worse Pot 2 teams to draw. Pot 3 did have a few worse teams than Atalanta (teams that actual have to fight domestically like Atalanta in Italy are also at a bit of a disadvantage, for me at least) But this is the Champions League and if you are in Pot 4 it is never going to be easy.  Just think it could have been a lot worse.  

(I am ignoring Liverpool because you only have to finish second or third to keep playing and that is what we want I think)

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, An Observer said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/oct/25/what-we-do-isnt-rocket-science-how-fc-midtjylland-started-footballs-data-revolution

just posting this here as it’s not about James, but about his team which I thought was interesting 

Maybe James does a good Brad Pitt impression and that's what keeps him at the club. 

Funny thing is I just watched Moneyball yesterday on Netflix. 

Obviously soccer and then hockey are my favourite sports. Basketball comes a distant third and baseball an even more distant fourth....but I have a to say, I just love Hollywood baseball films. 

Edited by Macksam

57 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Funny thing is I just watched Moneyball yesterday on Netflix. 

Obviously soccer and then hockey are my favourite sports. Basketball comes a distant third and baseball an even more distant fourth....but I have a to say, I just love Hollywood baseball films. 

Movies about baseball...the Natural, Field of Dreams, Moneyball, etc...are far better than the sport, itself, which is turgid nonsense, for the most part.