Manjrekar James

9 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I tend to agree, but perhaps he is thinking we shore up our weakest position by having an additional player back there? 3 are better than 2? Just playing devil's advocate.

I don't see how swapping out one of our midfielders, from a relatively talented group, for our third best CB, from a rather mediocre pool, is going to make the lineup stronger. It seems like an unusual move for Herman who has stated that he wants the most talented players on the pitch.

3 minutes ago, Norrin Radd said:

I don't see how swapping out one of our midfielders, from a relatively talented group, for our third best CB, from a rather mediocre pool, is going to make the lineup stronger. It seems like an unusual move for Herman who has stated that he wants the most talented players on the pitch.

I agree!

Leadership/communication may be an issue with most of our CB’s... 3 guys not sure of what they are doing could be worse than 2 for everyone on the field.  You play defence as a team, so I agree with the side who don’t think we should pass on a more talented midfielder, who could take on more defensive responsibilities, in place of a less talented CB.

Thing is.... playing 3 at the back gets us playing with two wingbacks, which would put Davies and Laryea in their perfect and most suitable/dangerous roles.  This maximizes their presence on the field, both ends. 

I get excited just thinking about it.  I'd love to see them terrorize a team on both flanks.  There are so few players and teams that would be able to counter that threat on both sides of the field.  And to think that they both have the lungs and legs to help out our slower D-men.   Not saying its our best formation, but I'd sure like to see it.

16 minutes ago, costarg said:

Thing is.... playing 3 at the back gets us playing with two wingbacks, which would put Davies and Laryea in their perfect and most suitable/dangerous roles.  This maximizes their presence on the field, both ends. 

I get excited just thinking about it.  I'd love to see them terrorize a team on both flanks.  There are so few players and teams that would be able to counter that threat on both sides of the field.  And to think that they both have the lungs and legs to help out our slower D-men.   Not saying its our best formation, but I'd sure like to see it.

This might be perfectly suited for Buchanan as well. ZBG would be able to play in this way too. With Laryea capable of playing both sides, those 4 give us some tasty wingback options. That may leave deserving players such as Johnston, Adekugbe and Miller out of the team though, as I am not sure those players are strong enough attacking high up the field. 

22 minutes ago, costarg said:

You’re right it also puts there stickers in more preferred positions and gives more security at the back

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

This might be perfectly suited for Buchanan as well. ZBG would be able to play in this way too. With Laryea capable of playing both sides, those 4 give us some tasty wingback options. That may leave deserving players such as Johnston, Adekugbe and Miller out of the team though, as I am not sure those players are strong enough attacking high up the field. 

Miller would slot as left Cb he could slide to lb if they change platforms 

10 hours ago, costarg said:

Even though I’m probably still on the other side, these are all good points.  Too bad we can’t play any games to experiment with this (sigh).

The only other thing here is that I don’t rate Miller as high as some of the rest of you.  I really do want to see him as a CB, but until that happens consistently I only see him as defensive cover if we are up in a game.  And I’d also like to see Fraser tried at CB as well... so maybe we could eventually see a back 3.

7 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I would love a 3-5-2. However this does mean that the likes of Hoilett would be benched. Which for some is sacrilege. 

Orrrrrr.....  you go with a 3-4-3

Hoilett - Cavallini/Larin - David

Davies - Arfield - Eustaquio/Hutch - Laryea

Henry - Vitoria - James

This one worries me a little, I think we'd lose the midfield battle vs the stronger teams.

Edited by costarg

10 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I think we have better midfielder's than wingers so I'd rather have three. I'd also want David more central if we can.

I agree, Hutch, Eustaquio and Arfield will always be automatic starters for me.  Then you also have Kaye & Osorio, so its hard to see us in a 3-4-3 vs stronger opposition.  

11 hours ago, Obinna said:

miller would play cb in a back 3

43 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

miller would play cb in a back 3

yeah @top cheese mentioned that too, and yes there could still be room for him. what about Johnston and Adekugbe though? I would think one of those guys would miss out at least.

Adekugbe is left footed, which could be seen as an advantage, but I don't think he's better than Davies or Laryea going forward, even though Laryea is not a left foot. As for Johnston, he looks pretty good going forward, but I am not convinced he'd be more suitable than ZBG or Buchanan as a wingback. I get the sense he is a better fullback, but early days yet obviously. 

Here are the center back and wing back options if we play this way:

Johnston

Adekugbe

Miller

ZBG

Laryea

Davies

Buchanan

James

Vitoria

Henry

Cornelius 

I am not sure all of those players make our 18, even though they are all deserving.

There are 5 CB and you probably only need 4.

Considering Miller can play full back, he may have the edge over Cornelius at first glance. However, Derek has more than double the amount of caps than Miller, and there's probably a good reason for that. I think our coaching staff rates him very highly. He was our U-20 player of the year not too long, was named to the GC group stage tournament team, and has put in some excellent performances. I am not necessarily trying to pump the guy up here, because I actually rate Miller just as highly, but I can see reasons why the coaching staff would not drop him. I get that Miller move over to fullback if we switch to a back four, but so can Laryea. This is why I listed Miller as someone who could miss out. I am not convinced Cornelius would be dropped, nor do I see Vitoria or Henry getting dropped if healthy, and I am assuming James gets back into the team. Perhaps we dress all 5, but I am not particularly convinced of that. 

Try rounding out that list with 2 keepers and 5 center midfielders / forwards. You realistically can't without leaving some big names out, so from the list above I would argue at least 3 players would have to miss out: Adekugbe, Johnston and Miller/Cornelius

Edited by Obinna

7 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

hutch is almost 40 and hasnt suited up for canada in years, arfield might be done with canada too.

Atiba is "only" 37 and is still a starter with Bestikas, plus he played in last year's Gold Cup. Arfield should still be committed, that report he was done was a miscommunication due to Canada not scheduling games iirc.

On 12/3/2020 at 5:54 PM, Obinna said:

I tend to agree, but perhaps he is thinking we shore up our weakest position by having an additional player back there? 3 are better than 2? Just playing devil's advocate.

England plays three at the back because it's a weaker position, Belgium I believe does the same thing. 

52 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

England plays three at the back because it's a weaker position, Belgium I believe does the same thing. 

England have a lot people who can play centre back (and they have played a right back and midfielder there a lot).

But have almost no depth now at left back (the Everton, exNorwich kid Godfrey looked good again when I saw him today).

But generally I think their fullbacks are better at being wingers than defending at full back. 

Whether that is our case? - I don't know.

58 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

England have a lot people who can play centre back (and they have played a right back and midfielder there a lot).

But have almost no depth now at left back (the Everton, exNorwich kid Godfrey looked good again when I saw him today).

But generally I think their fullbacks are better at being wingers than defending at full back. 

Whether that is our case? - I don't know.

I think the thing with England is that they don’t have a proper dcm who can cover up the deficiencies of the Cb. I don’t think there to bad off with macguire, stones, Gomez and dier keane. Canada are somewhat similar