Manjrekar James

Couldn't find a thread specifically on him but was digging around Wikipedia and saw that his club is showing as relegated due to licensing issues. Hungarian link here

http://www.nemzetisport.hu/labdarugo_nb_i/mlsz-a-kte-a-szpari-es-a-pecs-sem-kapott-nb-i-es-licencet-masodfokon-2415861

Looks like he is starting to become a regular with his call up for WCQ so would be disappointing if true. 

• 1 month later...

Followed up on this story of his clubs licensing issue and it looks like his club is indeed relegated to the third division. I would hope he would be looking to move somewhere rather than play a whole year there.  

Edited by IceCreamMan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

With Pecsi going basically defunct, there was definitely some talent to spread throughout the rest of the NB1.  Some basic stats research tells us the following.

1) In 6 games in the new season, Diosgyori has allowed 14 goals, 2nd worst in the league.  Keep in mind, on the general pecking order, DVTK were higher than Pecsi, but both spent most of their time in the top division of Hungary, Diosgyor over the last 5 years has always finished higher on the table, but neither have cracked top 4 (Europa league) in recent memory.  Anyway, if DVTK got relegated it would be considered a (slight) upset.

It looks to me like they need to shore up their defense.  

2) William Alves played a lot of time at CB for them last season and is no longer under contract.  Filled his role with Zoltan Liptak apparently.  Which is a step up for them.  Liptak will be a perma-starting CB for them.  Husic and Nemeth split time at LB (probably with some CB duties in there), and Okuka is a starter at RB.

Main competition as CB will be Kovacs.  A quick scan of the forums show that fans are NOT happy with the pairing of Liptak and Kovacs, and most blame Kovacs.  Not physically (or mentally) strong enough in defense.  Manjrekar certainly does not lack the physical (Canadian player trait, right?) and with Liptak's experience...hopefully they can make a better pairing?

___

From the info here, I think James' inclusion into the roster is not an "if", it's a "when", all he has to do is impress in training and show off that ahtleticism, and yeah...good to go...

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, Northvansteve said:

How do we feel about Manjrekar James at this point? His performance at Honduras and against El Salvador was a mixed bag. Showed great athleticism but also showed inexperience and rough edges. Is he the building block in the back we thought Doneil Henry would be?

He needs to play regularly for his club as a CB, not a DM and he needs to eventually move to a better league. Three clubs in three years isn't good for his development. He needs some stability first and foremost.

7 hours ago, Northvansteve said:

How do we feel about Manjrekar James at this point? His performance at Honduras and against El Salvador was a mixed bag. Showed great athleticism but also showed inexperience and rough edges. Is he the building block in the back we thought Doneil Henry would be?

I was pretty impressed by James, but I'm not sure if that was all because of his play or because of my low expectations of him.  Never been a real big fan of his, but these two games changed my mind and I think he's one for the future. 

26 minutes ago, shermanator said:

I thought James handled himself quite well in WCQ, although I know I had a rosier view on his performance than others here. I would rate him over Lefevre right now, and behind Henry / Edgar / Jakovic / Straith at CB. 

I think Jakovic should be done with the national team. I would be all for him if we had made it into the Hex, but we didn't. He did not look great at 31 and likely will not improve into his 30s. I hope he can get a spot on an MLS team or maybe a Canadian NASL team and have a successful late career and possibly inspire some young Canadians to want to play professionally.

Still would like to congratulate him on that away GOAL & what a MASSIVE goal it was (at the time). 

I would rate his overall performance as OK.  I do think he does play with a lot of confidence, is comfortable on the ball and is definitely not afraid of the big stage.  Some players tend to shy away or buckle under pressure, did not see that from him. Maybe just make sure when he goes for those aggressive sliding tackles that they are outside of the box!

Need to remember he plays as a midfielder and started at CB at 3 really important games for us, likely also played the entire ESL game with a knock.

Like Vince said, hope he establishes himself and starts seeing regular minutes to improve, either as a DM or as CB. Definitely has not reached his ceiling in my opinion, if his late development is properly handled.  

Edited by apbsmith

4 hours ago, Ruffian said:

I think Jakovic should be done with the national team. I would be all for him if we had made it into the Hex, but we didn't. He did not look great at 31 and likely will not improve into his 30s. I hope he can get a spot on an MLS team or maybe a Canadian NASL team and have a successful late career and possibly inspire some young Canadians to want to play professionally.

Another guy not playing regularly.  Let's see what he looks like when he's playing regularly.

James is a comer.  I didn't see his defensive performances in the same positive light as others here but I still think he will be a significant presence in future starting XIs.