Manjrekar James

2 minutes ago, top cheese said:

Herdman will likely play 3 cbs anyways  I think you have to go Miller Henry James : Cornelius Vitoria 

If you have Cornelius as cover for Miller, and Vitoria as cover for James, I think that works. Keep the left footed defender on the left side of the back 3. I think Waterman and Jakovic could potentially factor into this conversation as well. 

I am just personally glad we have a UEFA Champions League level center back in our program now :)

16 minutes ago, Obinna said:

FYP

The more important thing is that the opposition was, and is, very much alive in the competition and were trying their hardest to win the game. Atalanta is the hipster's choice, for attacking football, at the minute, and are only a week removed from beating one of the best 2-3 teams in the world. To limit them to a draw and just the one goal, for which MJ was in no way responsible, is impressive.

I’ve always liked James, think he has good potential just needs to work on his decision making. Unfortunately the sporadic and inconsistent playing time hasn’t helped him with this. I think the play obinna was referring to where he allowed the forward to get to the ball first is a prime example of this, caught up between shepherding the ball out or retaining possession caused a bit of a dither and the hesitation let his opponent in

Hopefully he can build on this performance, get more minutes and build his confidence and decisivness

8 hours ago, Obinna said:

That is something to be celebrated, so I won't rain on the parade anymore, even though the James mistake against Barbados and the Henry red card against Cuba are still fresh in my mind. 

I think CMNT performances need to be taken with a grain of salt..  given we barely play games as it is, and a player just really aren't given enough chances to play together and better learn a system. In general It's harsh to let one's opinion of a player be skewed by national team performances... even more so with our national team.. considering the small sample size our main players have.

1 hour ago, LeoH037 said:

I think CMNT performances need to be taken with a grain of salt..  given we barely play games as it is, and a player just really aren't given enough chances to play together and better learn a system. In general It's harsh to let one's opinion of a player be skewed by national team performances... even more so with our national team.. considering the small sample size our main players have.

lol I know what you are saying, but the irony here is pretty funny. 

11 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Midtjylland posts this on their twitter about Manjrekar James' performance last night but half the Canadian fans in our chat said he was just okay vs Atalanta.

But he was just okay, at least in the few minutes I saw him in. It's subjective though I guess. It's not like he was MOTM or anything, so I am not getting too high about this. I am however cautiously optimistic it can be the start of more game time. 

They unfortunately won't make the Europa league knockouts, as Ajax sit in 3rd with 7 points and the most Midtylland can get is 4 with a win against Liverpool, so hopefully he gets into that game. Then perhaps he can get some significant action in the Danish league, hopefully.

Edited by Obinna

53 minutes ago, Obinna said:

But he was just okay, at least in the few minutes I saw him in. It's subjective though I guess. It's not like he was MOTM or anything, so I am not getting too high about this. I am however cautiously optimistic it can be the start of more game time. 

They unfortunately won't make the Europa league knockouts, as Ajax sit in 3rd with 7 points and the most Midtylland can get is 4 with a win against Liverpool, so hopefully he gets into that game. Then perhaps he can get some significant action in the Danish league, hopefully.

They were out before yesterdays game.  Also probably the only reason why he started yesterday as they had nothing left to play for aside from pride.

Despite some of the negative comments, I really thought he did good and at the end of the day, what matters is what the club thinks of him...

This looks very good for him and might win him some more minutes. This also looks great for Canada because I don't recall the last CB we had in Champions League against that quality of a club and doing well.

If you don't think that it will make him a contender to start for Canada you're kidding yourself.

No, Henry shouldn't start above him.

Vitoria is the other guy playing at the position at the highest level among our depth. Might be a good idea to test that duo.

Cornelius not being THE guy in Vancouver is annoying but I haven't watch all of his games...All I know is that I can't recall a bad play when he wears a Canada shirt.

Let's not forget that Zator was almost loaned to Championship. I think him and Didic moving somewhere higher could show promise for us long term

Waterman, Dunn and Montgomery needs to play more, they aren't there yet.

Scott Kennedy would need to win the starter role.

That's my thoughts on the CB picture.

54 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Despite some of the negative comments, I really thought he did good and at the end of the day, what matters is what the club thinks of him...

This looks very good for him and might win him some more minutes. This also looks great for Canada because I don't recall the last CB we had in Champions League against that quality of a club and doing well.

If you don't think that it will make him a contender to start for Canada you're kidding yourself.

Vitoria is the other guy playing at the position at the highest level among our depth. Might be a good idea to test that duo.

Cornelius not being THE guy in Vancouver is annoying but I haven't watch all of his games...All I know is that I can't recall a bad play when he wears a Canada shirt.

Let's not forget that Zator was almost loaned to Championship. I think him and Didic moving somewhere higher could show promise for us long term

Kamal Miller deserves a shout out! I know he has played more left back because he has had to fill in for injuries but he can play CB. 

I think it should be Vitoria in the middle of a back three with whoever is more fit between Henry and James on the right and Miller or Kennedy on the left. 

4 hours ago, Ansem said:

What annoys me the most about current CMNT crop of CBs is that I can't see one guy who can organize the defence.

Henry needs someone literally to tell him what to do, so that he keeps his rash challenges to minimum. From what I've seen, James isn't that guy.

3 hours ago, Colliedor said:

What makes you say that? He only ever did that once.

I think the players he has are best suited to play that way. 

I also did a coaching webnair over the summer with there staff talking about there platforms. They like to play ethier a 4-3-3 or 3-5-2 that’s fluid depending on the way the game is played 

10 minutes ago, Yohan said:

What annoys me the most about current CMNT crop of CBs is that I can't see one guy who can organize the defence.

Henry needs someone literally to tell him what to do, so that he keeps his rash challenges to minimum. From what I've seen, James isn't that guy.

I agree that James is not really the one I imagine being vocal back there. I can see that actually being Henry.

You don't really tell your fellow defenders not to make rash challenges though, not in-game anyways. You may tell them to "just hold" (or "jockey" as they say in western canada), or you may shout at them "no foul" when they are marking tightly. You may also tell them to drop or step up, but those are positional things.  That's in my experience anyway...

5 hours ago, Ansem said:

Hopefully 2021 is the break out year for CBs for us in the way that 2020 was for RBs (Laryea, ZBG, Johnston, Buchanan).  All those guys up their game.

Edited by An Observer
grammar correction

James has taken a lot of hits here lately, but like lots of guys said yesterday... he delivered at a level that most of our other guys can only dream of.  

That being said, I feel the biggest issue is he's too similar to Henry, in the sense that they both make similar errors (too much confidence and they take too many brash chances).  So everyone's biggest fear is seeing them both play together and we get killed, which if I'm honest is a very real possibility.

I like them both, but i'm terrified of seeing them together.  Either one of them needs to line up with an experienced and verbal leader at the back.  Or at the very least on either side of a stable, experienced no nonsense kind of D.

59 minutes ago, costarg said:

James has taken a lot of hits here lately, but like lots of guys said yesterday... he delivered at a level that most of our other guys can only dream of.  

That being said, I feel the biggest issue is he's too similar to Henry, in the sense that they both make similar errors (too much confidence and they take too many brash chances).  So everyone's biggest fear is seeing them both play together and we get killed, which if I'm honest is a very real possibility.

I like them both, but i'm terrified of seeing them together.  Either one of them needs to line up with an experienced and verbal leader at the back.  Or at the very least on either side of a stable, experienced no nonsense kind of D.

For now, Vitoria should play alongside Henry or James.  I thought it would be Cornelius eventually taking over that Vitoria spot, but now I'm not so sure, and I don't think Vitoria has a whole WCQ cycle left in him.  Someone needs to step up. 

3 hours ago, An Observer said:

Hopefully 2021 is the break out year for CBs for us in the way that 2020 was for RBs (Laryea, ZBG, Johnston, Buchanan).  All those guys up their game.

Agree! A year ago we had 6 or 7 spots taken care of. (Lots of mud/forward options). Now we have more competition at goalie and a coupke different options at both fullbacks. 9 out of 11 spots taken care of. Maybe wishful, but unlikely that not 1 of the 6 or 7 options at CBs doesn't step up.

4 hours ago, Yohan said:

I think Vitoria is that veteran presence for now but I agreed we'll need someone else to take over that role. It worked with Cornelius, I'd like to see it with James or Didic or Zator.

Sorry but I don't buy Henry

12 hours ago, Ansem said:

I think Vitoria is that veteran presence for now but I agreed we'll need someone else to take over that role. It worked with Cornelius, I'd like to see it with James or Didic or Zator.

Sorry but I don't buy Henry

I like didic I’m surprised he hasn’t played at a higher level. 

where was zator going to be loaned to

I think you have to ask yourself a question would you rather have a Cb playing at Europe’s top level half the time or and MLS or lower player playing full time. I think the answer is pretty obvious. 

8 minutes ago, top cheese said:

I like didic I’m surprised he hasn’t played at a higher level. 

where was zator going to be loaned to

I think you have to ask yourself a question would you rather have a Cb playing at Europe’s top level half the time or and MLS or lower player playing full time. I think the answer is pretty obvious. 

This is charitable. 

21 hours ago, top cheese said:

I think the players he has are best suited to play that way. 

I also did a coaching webnair over the summer with there staff talking about there platforms. They like to play ethier a 4-3-3 or 3-5-2 that’s fluid depending on the way the game is played 

I don't know, I still think playing 3 players in our clearly weakest position is baffling.

1 minute ago, Colliedor said:

I don't know, I still think playing 3 players in our clearly weakest position is baffling.

I tend to agree, but perhaps he is thinking we shore up our weakest position by having an additional player back there? 3 are better than 2? Just playing devil's advocate.