Scott Arfield

10 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

If he does come back and that's a very big if, he should not be awarded an automatic spot in the starting XI. He should be coming off the bench period.

Regardless of his commitment level the days of Arfield being an automatic starter have already passed, I think. 

The only automatic midfield starter in my mind is Eustaquio. 

Just now, Obinna said:

Regardless of his commitment level the days of Arfield being an automatic starter have already passed, I think. 

Frankly, I'm teed off with him. But if he were playing for Rangers and in European competitions, I'd start him. With Hutch and Eustaquio, and probably another mid. Which could even be Davies.

I think the 8 is going to oblige us to shore up the defense and play 4-4-2.

Just now, Obinna said:

Eustaquio (at least at the level we have seen so far) is one of those players that will make the right play with the ball 95% of the time.  Having that in midfield relaxes everything and gives you something to build on most plays.  Hugely important to move to the next level.  

4 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Eustaquio (at least at the level we have seen so far) is one of those players that will make the right play with the ball 95% of the time.  Having that in midfield relaxes everything and gives you something to build on most plays.  Hugely important to move to the next level.  

Agreed. I was also impressed with his ability to win headers and tackles. I knew that was supposedly part of his game, but you kind of need to see it to believe it. All the stuff on the ball was always observable from his highlights, so no surprise there.

The way he handled things defensively against a very physical Haiti really pleased me. 

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, CanadaSantos said:

any idea what hoilett is trying imply here? https://twitter.com/jnrhoilett/status/1410632379790659586

since im old i had to look up what that blue cap means and it turns out it means the person is lying. Not sure if he's implying that wheeler is lying or Arfield, or maybe just something else.

We had this talk in the Gold Cup thread.

It means that its a lie.

11 hours ago, narduch said:

We had this talk in the Gold Cup thread.

It means that its a lie.

I personally believe the lie he is implying is the injury kept him out of Gold Cup. Arfield wasn't coming but the CSA likely had Molinaro float that because he's positive about returning to the Octo. The impression that he wanted to play Gold Cup would make any segment of the fans that would be angry at him returning after not wanting to play the last round or Gold Cup, a little more receptive to his return.

I'm not sure why it should matter but clearly if you read some opinions it would 

Edited by SpursFlu

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, cronaldo7 said:

My gut tells me he isn’t coming back. They are big on culture and brotherhood in that locker room. 

I feel like the Hoilett tweet speaks volumes.

This. Not only Hoilett, but Herdman might not care to call him either. He’s big on trust, and commitment. Yea you can miss some (David, Wotherspoon, Hutchinson, Kennedy) but the fact he hasn’t appeared at all this year might be indicative to the overall situation.

Herdman hasn’t really made any mention of him since, as a guy not being there (iirc)

6 minutes ago, Shway said:

This. Not only Hoilett, but Herdman might not care to call him either. He’s big on trust, and commitment. Yea you can miss some (David, Wotherspoon, Hutchinson, Kennedy) but the fact he hasn’t appeared at all this year might be indicative to the overall situation.

Herdman hasn’t really made any mention of him since, as a guy not being there (iirc)

If Herdman did not care to call him or if Herdman thinks that Arfield's decisions to sit out recent games hurts the team and his trust and commitment that he desires then I doubt he would have been included in the Gold Cup preliminary roster.  Again, I have no idea if he will be selected or even if he wants to be selected for upcoming games.  But by quality standards, he is in our best 23 man roster without a doubt.  I hope we see him this fall.  Even if he doesn't start, what a weapon to have off our bench.

Edited by Corazon

I wonder if he regrets not showing up for the Gold Cup? The opportunity was there for Canada, and he could have made a different.  And if he doesn't regret that, I don't see how (or why) you'd convince him to go to Honduras or El Salvador.  We'll all let Hutchinson pick whatever games he wants to play. Arfield hasn't earned that.

I have been a big proponent of Arfield (and still am).  But front a team bonding perspective, the guys who went through the Gold Cup and the qualifiers so far have probably earned a level of trust from Herdman.  From a MF perspective, that would be Atiba, Osorio, Kaye, Eustaquio, Hoilett, Wotherspoon, Piette, and Fraser; and if you include Davies and Buchanan as MFs...that's a lot of players for not a lot of spots.  And are the boys going to look at Arfield and say, where were you???

22 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I have been a big proponent of Arfield (and still am).  But front a team bonding perspective, the guys who went through the Gold Cup and the qualifiers so far have probably earned a level of trust from Herdman.  From a MF perspective, that would be Atiba, Osorio, Kaye, Eustaquio, Hoilett, Wotherspoon, Piette, and Fraser; and if you include Davies and Buchanan as MFs...that's a lot of players for not a lot of spots.  And are the boys going to look at Arfield and say, where were you???

No one will ask that question, his injuries this season have been well documented.  It's not a stretch to think he needed the recovery time. 

The only ambiguity surrounding his situation was his interview where he used the "personal family reasons" and the time Gerrard seemed to announce his international retirement for him.  Those were the only two questionable issues, i'm disappointed it never got cleared up. 

However, I can understand if there was indeed something going on in his family and he just needed to take a step back and evaluate what was more important to him.  Seeing where Canada is today might help remove any doubts about where he wants to be.  If Gerrard or his wife are giving him a hard time, he needs to man up and deal with it while being clear about his intentions.  I agree we shouldn't put up with any Ibra or Vela style "i'm in/i'm out" flip flop drama.

Edited by costarg

I would love to see Arfield called up for the qualifiers and maybe not get the best XI spot back. Might actually suit him well too knowing he won't be run into the ground. If we could bring someone on of his calibre to replace Kaye/Oso/Eustaq in the 60th minute that would be huge. Or roll him out in the middle game to give other guys a breather. 

No question, he will have to earn his way back into the starting team for the reasons everyone has mentioned of team bonding and chemistry. Though a couple training sessions and a game or two and I think he could be back in there. 

Also... sometimes I get the sense.. that if Arfield had not yet committed and was still a dual national, people would be gushing over the prospect of having him join, despite his age.

Arfield is without a doubt a top 5 MF on this team. With 3 games in 8 days we need all hands on deck.  Herdman knows this, Hoilett knows this, and the rest of the squad does too.  He may get some good natured razzing, and some not so good natured, but if he is there and contributing to our success he will be part of the brotherhood and the team will be better off for it.  He will make us better and give us a better chance to qualify for the World Cup.

Personally I believe he’s already back. The one soccer crew were using his name as a player missing from the group like he’s coming back. He was named to the 60 player list. Also he did say in one interview saying it’s up the manager after that whole gerrard thing. I think he was pissed about playing against shop keepers and getting hurt and he needed a break. For me Herdman needed and maybe still does to learn about player management. I feel sometimes his women’s team mentality hurts him with this. Throughout nations league he called top guys against crappy teams when it wasn’t necessary. Same with early WCQ. The men’s game is very different than women’s. Men play a ton more games and the club football is where they make their money not the national team. Arfield also had a baby my understanding.  

Scotty's been a warrior for Canada whenever he's put on the red and white, and is a former MNT captain. If he's on form and willing 100% they bring him back into the fold.

I rate him above Kaye tbh. An Arfield/Eustaquio central midfield would be great to see, as Scott brings a bit more tenacity but also is very good going forward.

4 hours ago, JamboAl said:

But they are also professionals, including the coach, and if they see a guy who can help them get to the promised land over another guy, then so be it and they move on.  There is a ruthlessness that happens in this business.  It's about now, not the past.  Apart from one instagram/twitter "cap" comment from Hoillet, we really don't know how the rest of the team feels.  We'll obviously find out in September and then October if Arfield is healthy, wants to be there, and is or is not included.