Scott Arfield

Just now, El Hombre said:

That is completely wrong.  The best team should be there, which isn't necessarily the best players.  This isn't fantasy football.

This is the risk you run when you skip games.  If Osorio/Wotherspoon/Hoillet develops chemistry with Tajon-Davies-David-Larin, then you find yourself on the outside looking in.

It’s 26 player roster, don’t play him make him earn his place back in practice. 3 games in 10 games

So Arfield was willing to be at the Gold Cup but pulled out with last second injury...he was willing to be at the upcoming WCQs and Herdman didnt call him. He's willing to join in subsequent windows.

Stop with the ridiculous "Arfield wants nothing to do with the Program and all the players hate him and that why Herdman isnt calling him"

We will never know the true facts, but  Arfield has done a very poor job of dealing with this whole debacle over the past 2 years..starting with the Gerrard bombshell that he was done with International footy and then the " I dont want to play minnows" which was communicated  by Herdman ...so at least that we know for sure. It would have been better if he simply said 2 years ago " I have retired from International Football to preserve my club career and spend more time with my young family". 

48 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

You can call 26 players ….

They can call 100 players. Only 23 are allowed on the matchday roster.

Either way, the number of players allowed is clearly not the issue here.

EDIT: I should've refreshed before responding. Didn't see that @king1010 beat me to it by almost a half-hour!

2 hours ago, king1010 said:

it could've been 100 player roster. the guys don't want him there, and a couple practices with him wasn't going to change their mind/ earn his place back

Do you actually know that the players didn't want him there?  Seems like a whole lot of conjecture and you're building your own narrative.  Since when did the players decide the roster anyways?  I like Arfield the player, but I'm not bent out of shape that he's not in the roster this window as I have faith in the players that are there.  

I don't think baseless bashing of a player is productive.  We likely will need Arfield at some point, because injuries are inevitable.

Edited by prairiecanuck

14 minutes ago, prairiecanuck said:

Do you actually know that the players didn't want him there?  Seems like a whole lot of conjecture and you're building your own narrative.  Since when did the players decide the roster anyways?  I like Arfield the player, but I'm not bent out of shape that he's not in the roster this window as I have faith in the players that are there.  

I don't think baseless bashing of a player is productive.  We likely will need Arfield at some point, because injuries are inevitable.

It’s based on Hoillett’s  🧢 tweet and Wheeler’s tweet saying the group is tight knit and deserve spots on the squad.

It’s definitely not conjecture, baseless or building my own narrative but I respect if you dont agree. 

Edited by king1010

John herdman was just politically correct about what he said. Master Gabber Gaffer.

If Arfield was willing! There would be no reason to not call him in, and NOT play him at all - let him show his commitment. 

It’s keeping the door open just in case we need him. Because we don’t need him right now. Our best midfield has shown that already, so he’s on the outside looking in. 

Ive said before that we can still use him, we just don’t need him.

Just so people don't think I'm bullshitting about the player's committee (as I couldn't find the article where he first spoke of it) here is another reference.

With his players scattered around the globe, Herdman is accustomed to working remotely. He says those systems and structures have helped in the current situation.

Players on the national team's leadership group met remotely last Friday. One-on-one "connects" with the players are coming up. Work continues at the younger age levels.

It is just as important to make sure committment to this qualifying is as high as possible as it is getting the objectively best players on the roster. The group mentality is vital

The important thing is the message to the rest of our pool: all in, no excuses, except the legit ones (injury, some key family occasion, force majeur). Scottie has been dicking around, not terribly but enough, and Herdman knows this better than anyone. You get this far, with this group, and this is the group that you try to go to the next step with. 

I personally do not think anyone in the mix has a problem with Arfield as a person. And everyone understands what it might mean to be older and struggling with injuries, fitness, and keeping those contracts coming with the club. But if he referred to "minnows" in conversation with Herdman, when he is playing absolutely minnows in SPL, then that is out of line. 

He can decide if he wants to be part of the campaign to take us to the WC later, if Herdman needs him. As I see it, however, it is a hard bind: we do well this first set of matches, we may not need to call him in for the next set. We do badly, our calling him in looks like we made a mistake this time around. But I can live with those perceptions, as I can with him not being with us.

Listening to Herdman just now on One Soccer doesn't have me feeling so negative on Arfield. Taking Herman at his word, it all seems reasonable to leave Arfield out for now.

Arfield hasn't said he is done, Herdman definitely hasn't said he is done, but we are assuming (with confidence) that he is? 

I don't know, right now I feel inclined to take Herdman at his word. I guess we'll have to watch this space come October. 

39 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Listening to Herdman just now on One Soccer doesn't have me feeling so negative on Arfield. Taking Herman at his word, it all seems reasonable to leave Arfield out for now.

Arfield hasn't said he is done, Herdman definitely hasn't said he is done, but we are assuming (with confidence) that he is? 

I don't know, right now I feel inclined to take Herdman at his word. I guess we'll have to watch this space come October. 

Are Jamaica and Mexico on the red list?

1 hour ago, sebdeserio said:

The senior figures can decide that Arfield needs a timeout because he wanted to pick and choose but they better back it up with their play. If we don't get 6 points minimum then questions should be asked if they let childish grudges get in the way of the team's success.

Well they did the job vs Suriname, Haiti X2 and reaching the  semis in the GC for the first time since 2007  taking Mexico to extra time... without Cava, Larin, Ayo and Vitoria ?  No guarantee for the next 3 games but that group deserves the right to be there.