Scott Arfield

folk here really need to chill about Arfield, and stop speculating nonsense. Herdman did the right thing by only calling the guys who got us to this point, but clearly is still leaving the door open for Arfield to prove his commitment (he will likely be called up for the next series of away games to show if he's serious). Thankfully Herdman is pragmatic, has an exceptionally high emotional IQ, is not reactive, and knows not to burn bridges with his players (as many here seemingly would), because its going to be a looong campaign and we'll need all the quality we can get.

Edited by LeoH037

10 hours ago, Kent said:

Honestly, I wouldn't feel that strongly either way if he was on the roster or not. It sounds like Herdman thinks Arfield will still take part in qualifying down the road. Let's hope Arfield can be in good form and be re-introduced into the team amicably. I trust Herdman for the second part.

Lots of windows in the Ocho, so the potential for absences due to whatever reasons looks high.  I think he'll be back later on.

33 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

I’m no expert on PR, but wouldn’t this all be settled by Arfield putting his own brief message out about the subject?  He probably just doesn’t care haha.

Aside from the people taking about it here I don't think anyone cares. Sadly the men's team is still not mainstream news and I'm sure 99%* of Canada is not aware of Arfieldgate. 

*stats are made up. I have not commissioned ipsos to do an official poll.

• 2 weeks later...

If we're taking Herdman at his word (and we don't know if it's true or not). Scotty was planning on coming to the Gold Cup before he picked up an injury. If that's the case, I have to imagine he's still interested in accepting a call next window. He's never been this close to a World Cup before.

That being said, Herdman made it sound like Jebbison was fully committed to us and he's since been repping England so...

4 hours ago, Yoginess said:

If we're taking Herdman at his word (and we don't know if it's true or not). Scotty was planning on coming to the Gold Cup before he picked up an injury. If that's the case, I have to imagine he's still interested in accepting a call next window. He's never been this close to a World Cup before.

That being said, Herdman made it sound like Jebbison was fully committed to us and he's since been repping England so...

When did he make it sound like that?

22 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

Like him or not, at the time being he is one of our most talented box to box midfielders.    I am not going to be distraught if he doesn’t come next window as we have solid talent and depth, I will be happier if he is part of the squad.

Honestly I wonder how long this will be the case (that he is a superior choice).  With Rangers really managing his minutes, with him getting older, and with our other mids really showcasing their skills for Canada, I do wonder how much of an upgrade he still is - or will be this time next year when we could potentially be preparing for Qatar.  I suspect it is a byproduct of not seeing him play for us in a while but his absence doesn’t fill me with dread at this point.  

1 hour ago, SpecialK said:

Just look what he did to Americans when we beat them. He was the best player out there. If he is in the same form, he’s an upgraded Osorio. 

Keep in mind, that was 2 years ago.  At some point he stops being an upgrade.  I don’t know if we have reached that point yet, but it is coming.  

9 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Keep in mind, that was 2 years ago.  At some point he stops being an upgrade.  I don’t know if we have reached that point yet, but it is coming.  

For sure. And it may be a quick descent which is why I was speaking in the present. And for that matter if he is not playing in Europe and getting solid results and performances than his yime may not last past next window.  But if his decline is closer to Atiba’s then I am happy with him being part of the squad.

Edited by Club Linesman