Scott Arfield

59 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

To think he had the captain's armband at one time but I just hope he can find his way back into the team but with so many new faces making their cases, it is going to be kind of hard for Arfield to get back into our set up. I mean I'm just saying.

You gotta be kidding.  

Ok seriously, i'm curious, how many guys exactly do you have ahead of Arfield at this point?  

8 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

To think he had the captain's armband at one time but I just hope he can find his way back into the team but with so many new faces making their cases, it is going to be kind of hard for Arfield to get back into our set up. I mean I'm just saying.

As long as Arfield is willing and able, there will always be a place in the team for him. 

12 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

Not that he hasn’t been wrong in the past, but Gareth just said on OneSoccer he is been made aware there is zero chance of Arfield in this window.  That’s the end of that.....

He's saying no in a do-or-die window? Unless he asked for rest and wants to captain the Gold Cup, I feel this is the end of his international career. 

Herdman said previously he won't have players pick-and-choose.

Not sure this means we've seen the end of Airfield. He was fit enough to come off the bench last week, but that was after being sidelined with his second significant injury of the season. He's probably taking his time to recover after a season with a lot of ups and downs. I am sure he's wishing the lads the best and we have enough guys to get the job done.

I will give him the benefit of the doubt until it's announced he's done. Until then he's a part of the program in my eyes.

Wasn't there an interview a while back where he says he had to focus on family for a little while?  "Personal reasons", i'm sure I watched that a few months back and thought to myself "sounds like family issues", perhaps kids or wife or a close relative going through health issues.  Unless i dreamt the whole thing?

1 hour ago, costarg said:

Wasn't there an interview a while back where he says he had to focus on family for a little while?  "Personal reasons", i'm sure I watched that a few months back and thought to myself "sounds like family issues", perhaps kids or wife or a close relative going through health issues.  Unless i dreamt the whole thing?

I don't recall anything specific, but he does have young kids and perhaps that's weighing on him in the post-covid world.

I got the sense from him when he joined that it'd be an adventure for him, playing in different countries in a different region of the world. He pretty much said as much back in 2015, if I am not mistaken. 

Now in 2021, the joys of travel have been stripped away and many people have re-evaluated their priorities. Just speculating, but I think we are seeing that, combined with coming off a tough season injury wise plus the fact he's on the wrong side of 30.

I still see him showing up for some big games where we absolutely need him, providing he's available. If I were a betting man I would predict he finishes his career just shy of 30 caps. He's got 19 right now.

Edited by Obinna

Geezus Christ.  Did I miss something?

Thirty something player weighed down with injuries in the 2nd half of his club season is going to take a pass against the WCQs against Aruba & Suriname?  The rascal!

If Arfield is anywhere near being the difference between the Golden Generation Herdman inherited and those two then Arfield isn't the problem.  No bloody chance.

Herdman knows what's what with Arfield and I'd expect every other player who's a given in a Canada side.  Real world considerations taken into account for each.

1 hour ago, Cheeta said:

Geezus Christ.  Did I miss something?

Thirty something player weighed down with injuries in the 2nd half of his club season is going to take a pass against the WCQs against Aruba & Suriname?  The rascal!

If Arfield is anywhere near being the difference between the Golden Generation Herdman inherited and those two then Arfield isn't the problem.  No bloody chance.

Herdman knows what's what with Arfield and I'd expect every other player who's a given in a Canada side.  Real world considerations taken into account for each.

It's not just Aruba and Suriname. It's also the likely do-or-die home-and-away against Haiti.

If he has legitimate health/family/personal reasons for missing this crucial few weeks, he'll have had that hard conversation with JH and we'll likely see him again down the road. On the flip side, if he's just flippantly taking a pass so he can enjoy the benefits of Glasgow as a newly crowned Scottish champion with Rangers, he's probably done with Canada.

We'll learn which it is at some point in the future, most probably.

Edited by SthMelbRed
typo

9 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Aruba & Suriname?

So what is the problem?

I think you underestimate both Arfield and the new Suriname.

I don't care if he skips the Aruba match but Suriname is something else all together.

We absolutely need all of our best players to stop this team.

33 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

So what is the problem?

I think you underestimate both Arfield and the new Suriname.

I don't care if he skips the Aruba match but Suriname is something else all together.

We absolutely need all of our best players to stop this team.

We definitely should not underestimate Suriname especially since they are level with us on points but we lead in goal difference. After their latest additions to their national team, I am definitely not taking them lightly or even underestimating them either.

But why do we need Arfield anyway? He's clearly all but done.

^^

OK,  I have to admit I'll loving the YouTube clips.  Do your worst yah bastards!

Not underestimating Arfield.  He's a given starter on my team sheet and he might be at his best yet.  He's also 32, nursing injuries and if he isn't already any day now he'll be staring down the last real money-making player contract he's ever going to receive.  So yes, I believe given his past commitments that he has earned a healthy degree of faith from us in his decision making as to when he can or can not commit to national team duty.

Read DeRo's book, enjoyed it.  We take a lot of things for granted from our footballers and so much happens with them off the pitch and out of sight that it can be a wonder sometimes how they carry on as well as they do.  We need to be reminded of that sometimes.  I do anyway.

The Canadian group going into this cycle of WCQ has more game changers in it than any that's come before.  It's going into a cycle with an organization behind it which is light years ahead of where it was for any previous cycle in a confederation which used to be a barely disguised criminal organization.  Questions remain of course, but to my mind this is the 1st WCQ cycle ever that I don't feels like the deck is stacked against us. 

If this lot can't do it at this stage, short one player.....

47 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

I don't feels like the deck is stacked against us. 

If this lot can't do it at this stage, short one player.....

I feel like CONCACAF did their utmost so that the deck wouldn't be stacked against us but things backfired. Twice.

First the CONCACAF rankings being changed to FIFA rankings.

Then, in this new format designed to help us, ending up in the same group as Suriname, who should have been a weak team but are now at a similar strength to us.

I won't be surprised if we don't get past them.