Scott Arfield

On the surface him missing these games really doesn't look good. But we don't know why. Maybe he's got a parent sick in the hospital. Maybe his wife is working from home with kids also at home and she is going insane and needs help. Maybe it's a million other things. Maybe we will find out when the roster is released, or maybe we will never know.

I'm disappointed he isn't coming, and I was upset earlier as well. But there are reasons for missing that I could easily understand/forgive.

44 minutes ago, Kent said:

On the surface him missing these games really doesn't look good. But we don't know why. Maybe he's got a parent sick in the hospital. Maybe his wife is working from home with kids also at home and she is going insane and needs help. Maybe it's a million other things. Maybe we will find out when the roster is released, or maybe we will never know.

I'm disappointed he isn't coming, and I was upset earlier as well. But there are reasons for missing that I could easily understand/forgive.

Could also have a nagging injury that needs a bit of rest to heal. Taking this summer off could extend his career a few more years.

I think the issue most have with this if it was simply injuries Scott (or someone else) would have mentioned he needs time to rest them and come back, but the messaging has been conflicting. At the same time you have him saying he was tired of facing low level competition back in March this doesn't paint the best picture. 

I figure when the squad drops we'll have a better idea of what the situation is.

Either way whether he has lost form or not, you have to go by his words too and not too long ago he more or less said he was not motivated by or motivated to play low level competition in CONCACAF. I mean how would you take it? Picking and choosing when you play shows commitment or lack thereof. And you want players who are not only in form but who are motivated when they put on the red and white. Period.

On 5/25/2021 at 8:14 AM, TGAA_Star said:

Either way whether he has lost form or not, you have to go by his words too and not too long ago he more or less said he was not motivated by or motivated to play low level competition in CONCACAF. I mean how would you take it? Picking and choosing when you play shows commitment or lack thereof. And you want players who are not only in form but who are motivated when they put on the red and white. Period.

As his age, maybe you can cut him a bit of slack? Nobody is pulling out pitchforks and torches about Atiba Hutchinson (who I love) missing this round of WCQ.

6 minutes ago, Longrange said:

As his age, maybe you can cut him a bit of slack? Nobody is pulling out pitchforks and torches about Atiba Hutchinson (who I love) missing this round of WCQ.

Yeah because Atiba has been in form unlike Arfield and Atiba is actually motivated and engaged when he puts on the colors unlike Arfield. Arfield used to have that motivation but that form I don't know. I mean Arfield sure is experienced but he at this point has been replaced in my mind. We don't need him.

3 hours ago, Longrange said:

It seems that Atiba was all on board before his injury. There was rumblings of Arfield not showing up well before teams started releasing their rosters. Strong difference is the actual availability, and will - lack thereof  on the latter it’s seems for Scott.

21 minutes ago, Shway said:

It seems that Atiba was all on board before his injury. There was rumblings of Arfield not showing up well before teams started releasing their rosters. Strong difference is the actual availability, and will - lack thereof  on the latter it’s seems for Scott.

Well he was injured so I don’t think he’d be match fit anyway

4 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Yeah because Atiba has been in form unlike Arfield and Atiba is actually motivated and engaged when he puts on the colors unlike Arfield. Arfield used to have that motivation but that form I don't know. I mean Arfield sure is experienced but he at this point has been replaced in my mind. We don't need him.

Huh, what a load of hot garbage. Arfield has given nothing less than 100% every single time he has suited up.  

Edited by LeoH037

7 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

Huh, what a load of hot garbage. Arfield has given nothing less than 100% every single time he has suited up.  

Yeah then key word then but I don't know about now. Especially after his comments or how he has conducted himself. Just how I feel about it. You don't get to pick and choose when you play period. If your country calls on you to play and you are specifically picked, you play. But also Arfield yeah sure he won the Scottish league but come on let's be really honest with ourselves here. Has he been keeping up in form this club season? Give me the answer. I'll wait. Because the fact is, there have been other players in our side who have been playing better than he has. Hence why he has lost his place in the side. Otherwise, he would be in our side if he was healthy or even in form. But after his previous comments, I don't know if I want him on my national team.

3 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Yeah then key word then but I don't know about now. Especially after his comments or how he has conducted himself. Just how I feel about it. You don't get to pick and choose when you play period. If your country calls on you to play and you are specifically picked, you play. But also Arfield yeah sure he won the Scottish league but come on let's be really honest with ourselves here. Has he been keeping up in form this club season? Give me the answer. I'll wait. Because the fact is, there have been other players in our side who have been playing better than he has. Hence why he has lost his place in the side. Otherwise, he would be in our side if he was healthy or even in form. But after his previous comments, I don't know if I want him on my national team.

Please stop...I can't take much more of your ridiculous opinions and/or comments. I've never blocked anyone on here before but you are making that difficult. Can you limit yourself to contributing every second or third day? Just so I can take a mental break from you. Just a thought. 

9 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

LOL.. ain't reading that poorly written essay 🙃

Edited by LeoH037

9 hours ago, longlugan said:

Please stop...I can't take much more of your ridiculous opinions and/or comments. I've never blocked anyone on here before but you are making that difficult. Can you limit yourself to contributing every second or third day? Just so I can take a mental break from you. Just a thought. 

Honestly it’s like someone said “hop on this forum about a team you know nothing about and opine on every thread with comments that pretend to be insightful” 

‘Will Suriname be tough? Yea they will be based on the squad they called. Given this we could win but we might also lose. We could also draw. I’m looking forward to it.’

14 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Honestly it’s like someone said “hop on this forum about a team you know nothing about and opine on every thread with comments that pretend to be insightful” 

‘Will Suriname be tough? Yea they will be based on the squad they called. Given this we could win but we might also lose. We could also draw. I’m looking forward to it.’

That is why I find the mute button valuable.  Unfortunately you still have to open threads to see if anyone else commented or just the muted individual(s) but it does save some time  

So the same guys saying Arfield has lost a step and shouldnt be a auto call up are whining he isnt coming to the camp and shouldnt be called anymore?? Give me a break.  Make up your mind, cause it just sounds like you have an axe to grind.  

• 2 weeks later...

So without getting too much into the decision he made to skip our games these last couple of weeks, the treatment Davies received tonight highlights why it might have been justified in the mind of an older player with ongoing injury issues that need to fully heal. A few of those un-cautioned tackles on Arfield could be the end of his playing career - or at least something that sets him back to the point where it impacts next season.  

23 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

So without getting too much into the decision he made to skip our games these last couple of weeks, the treatment Davies received tonight highlights why it might have been justified in the mind of an older player with ongoing injury issues that need to fully heal. A few of those un-cautioned tackles on Arfield could be the end of his playing career - or at least something that sets him back to the point where it impacts next season.  

He plays in Scotland. Those tackles were like what he would experience during warmup rondos with his Rangers teammates.  😁

Edited by maccaliam

22 minutes ago, lamptern said:

Agreed.  A player can hold the ball and make threatening pass is highly needed in this CMNT.

I'm a big West Brom fan.  I watched most of their games for years.  I remember when Arfield came to the Canadian side in 16 thinking he was the exact same player James Morrison was.  Both undersized, but good technically.  They both have good vision and move the ball so quick and decisively.  I remember thinking how lucky Canada was to get Arfield.  Morrison was still playing with the Scotland national team at that point, but he was 3 years older than Arfield. 

I really hope Canada hasn't just moved on from Arfield.  If we get through, he really could help this squad in the Octo. 

6 hours ago, prairiecanuck said:

I'm a big West Brom fan.  I watched most of their games for years.  I remember when Arfield came to the Canadian side in 16 thinking he was the exact same player James Morrison was.  Both undersized, but good technically.  They both have good vision and move the ball so quick and decisively.  I remember thinking how lucky Canada was to get Arfield.  Morrison was still playing with the Scotland national team at that point, but he was 3 years older than Arfield. 

I really hope Canada hasn't just moved on from Arfield.  If we get through, he really could help this squad in the Octo. 

Who knows if Canada has moved on from Arfield but if they have, I won't be surprised all that much 

9 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Because in Scotland no one tackles that way and if they do, refs always call fouls? For me it does not make sense, he's playing in a league with the highest rate of boot tackles and refs waving on after harsh tackles in the world. 

For me Davies has to learn to lay if off quicker, and not bring this sort of aggressive tackling on. Since it is risky, for one, and because by drawing extra defenders you have opened up a teammate--so take advantage of that and lay it off. For me Davies played poorly and did not have his head in the game. He'd be much better for us if he understood his role.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist