Scott Arfield

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

For me Davies has to learn to lay if off quicker, and not bring this sort of aggressive tackling on. Since it is risky, for one, and because by drawing extra defenders you have opened up a teammate--so take advantage of that and lay it off. For me Davies played poorly and did not have his head in the game. He'd be much better for us if he understood his role.

^This.

His decision making on that crap pitch was a blown ACL waiting to happen.

Just now, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Our midfield sure could have used some help tonight.

That being said,

Arfield, at least in my book, you are forgiven.

Man you’ll say anything to mention him huh. The midfield was fine and our help was on the bench in Wotherspoon, Piette, and Fraser. 

That being said, I hope he’s fit/ready to play because we’ll need all of our quality.

2 minutes ago, Shway said:

Man you’ll say anything to mention him huh. The midfield was fine and our help was on the bench in Wotherspoon, Piette, and Fraser. 

That being said, I hope he’s fit/ready to play because we’ll need all of our quality.

It is the Arfield thread......and I bet he skips the gold cup too.  Isnt that the point of healing up??  Not take 2 weeks and get back at it.  

I'd almost rather see Flores, Jebbison, Baldisimo, Gutierez, Okello, Priso, Pasher etc make that squad and let anyone in rough shape sit it out.  We've seen what Johnston, Buchanon, Kennedy can do this window, lets work in a few more kids at the gold cup.  They are stepping up for us big time!  

I'm all for pragmatism and getting to a world cup by any means necessary... sacrifice kittens if we have to

FUCK though... this is surreal.. we are going to finally actually compete to get into a World Cup, and I honestly believe this team has what it takes to go all the way.

Edited by LeoH037

1 minute ago, Bison44 said:

It is the Arfield thread......and I bet he skips the gold cup too.  Isnt that the point of healing up??  Not take 2 weeks and get back at it.  

But he declined after playing minutes with Rangers. Jordan Henderson, was injured the entire half season but showed up for England when called. 

He should be well rested come September- we’ll need him. 

Arfield is getting a lot of pressure from his manager.  Gerrard came out and said, it's a great that Arfield is done with international football.  Arfield came out and said this was not necessarily the case.  Rangers have massive champions league qualifiers in August.  Celtic won 9 league titles.  Rangers finally topped them last year.  

Arfield is a good guy and likely torn up inside a bit.  I hope if he makes himself available for consideration in September that we don't dismiss him because he wasn't available for the first 2 rounds.

33 minutes ago, ag futbol said:

His own preferences / circumstances aside, it would be good to have him back in the fold. 

We look a little bit pear shaped in attack at times and Arfield is good at playing between the lines and can threaten goal. He would definitely add something to the team. 

I like his skillset and what he brings to a midfield grouping.  I agree with the "threaten goal" part because he can create goal opportunities for himself with his shooting and runs into scoring positions.  If not him, then we will need a guy with that kind of dynamic who will provide another goal scoring threat from midfield.

26 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

If he's fit and doesn't make himself available in September it's safe to say he's gone. 

I agree with this.  And I also mean that in terms of closing the door even if he wanted to come back after that.  I understand taking the summer off due to injury concerns and the need to get fully fit.  Wasn’t super happy with it but I understand it.  

But now that we are there, he needs to decide if he is in or out.  We need our best guys to commit now that we are in the Ocho.  For anyone still not willing to do that, thanks for your service but we are going with the guys who are all in.  

38 minutes ago, prairiecanuck said:

Arfield is getting a lot of pressure from his manager.  Gerrard came out and said, it's a great that Arfield is done with international football.  Arfield came out and said this was not necessarily the case.  Rangers have massive champions league qualifiers in August.  Celtic won 9 league titles.  Rangers finally topped them last year.  

Arfield is a good guy and likely torn up inside a bit.  I hope if he makes himself available for consideration in September that we don't dismiss him because he wasn't available for the first 2 rounds.

The equation changed with being in the Ocho

Setting aside emotional considerations, Arfield's spot in CMNT is NOT guaranteed anymore. We have actual depth at midfield.

If Arfield doesn't show up for most of the Ocho, he loses his spot, because in those 14 games, Herdman will find his first choice midfield players. Arfield can't expect to show up and claim a spot, if Canada qualifies for World Cup. 

And World Cup is what every player dreams to play in. 

Gerrard could pressure Arfield to retire from int'l football. He might even drop Arfield from Rangers starting lineup. But as a former player, Gerrard also knows that you can't deny a player the chance to play in World Cup.

2 minutes ago, Yohan said:

Gerrard could pressure Arfield to retire from int'l football.

Moral of the story - Gerrard ruins everything (see 13 May 2006 for reference.)

More seriously I think he adds enough that we offer one or two games per window and if he can commit to that, get him in.  I am not proud I want to win. Less than that, thank him for great service in helping to build something.  

31 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I like his skillset and what he brings to a midfield grouping.  I agree with the "threaten goal" part because he can create goal opportunities for himself with his shooting and runs into scoring positions.  If not him, then we will need a guy with that kind of dynamic who will provide another goal scoring threat from midfield.

Yeah, looking across our roster right now I’m not sure who would fill this gap. 

I don’t think any of our existing midfield group fits the bill. Maybe David or Larin playing in behind a target man or two other more advanced players? Still seems sub optimal.