Scott Arfield

1 minute ago, ag futbol said:

Yeah, looking across our roster right now I’m not sure who would fill this gap. 

I don’t think any of our existing midfield group fits the bill. Maybe David or Larin playing in behind a target man or two other more advanced players? Still seems sub optimal.

Hutchinson has played a similar role with Besiktas recently. 

33 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I agree with this.  And I also mean that in terms of closing the door even if he wanted to come back after that.  I understand taking the summer off due to injury concerns and the need to get fully fit.  Wasn’t super happy with it but I understand it.  

But now that we are there, he needs to decide if he is in or out.  We need our best guys to commit now that we are in the Ocho.  For anyone still not willing to do that, thanks for your service but we are going with the guys who are all in.  

I don't think we should close the door on anybody. We can simply not call him up if we want to reward the guys who are more committed. For all we know he could be unplayable in October and want back in. Whether we exercise the Arfield option is another matter, but why axe the option to begin with?

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I don't think we should close the door on anybody. We can simply not call him up if we want to reward the guys who are more committed. For all we know he could be unplayable in October and want back in. Whether we exercise the Arfield option is another matter, but why axe the option to begin with?

Because we will need him in September.  In my mind, yes we work with players, but the time for them cherry picking games is over.  In or out.  

His comments at end of season were that playing champions league was his dream and testing himself against the best, if rangers qualify I suspect we don’t see him. 
Though I don’t think we should close the door, he would have been an upgrade in yesterday’s lineup.

4 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Because we will need him in September.  In my mind, yes we work with players, but the time for them cherry picking games is over.  In or out.  

I don't see that value in taking that stance, but okay. I mean, I want our guys committed, so we share common ground there, but we could simply not call him and get the same result, know what I mean?

The other thing I don't get is the arbitrary September line. Would you not call up a willing Tomori in October because he wasn't committed in September?

If Arfield and Hutch are available, then what does the midfield look like, presuming they both start?  Who joins them? Eustaquio? Kaye? Man, cracking the front 6 on this team is going to be tough going forward. Lots of great options, especially if Arfield and Hutch are in the mix.  We are finally building a bit of depth.

3 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

If Arfield and Hutch are available, then what does the midfield look like, presuming they both start?  Who joins them? Eustaquio? Kaye? Man, cracking the front 6 on this team is going to be tough going forward. Lots of great options, especially if Arfield and Hutch are in the mix.  We are finally building a bit of depth.

Rotation - we’re going to need lots of it. Neither arfield or hutch will be playing all three matches in the window. Maybe they each start one and are options of bench for other two. Eustaqiuo, Osorio and Mak start two etc

we’re not going to be playing the absolute best 11 for every match. We need this depth 

1 minute ago, Floortom said:

Rotation - we’re going to need lots of it. Neither arfield or hutch will be playing all three matches in the window. Maybe they each start one and are options of bench for other two. Eustaqiuo, Osorio and Mak start two etc

we’re not going to be playing the absolute best 11 for every match. We need this depth 

The three match window is the big change here, so squad rotation is so important.  And, more than before, situational starting, depending on the venue and opponent.

9 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Maybe a little biased but I think we comfortably have the 3rd best depth in CONCACAF and it's going to give us a leg up on our opponents for that 3rd spot.

I am not closing the door on Arfield and if he wants to return, I will welcome him back but obviously the more time he misses with the team, the less likely he is going to see minutes when he does return.  With that being said, he absolutely offers something different in our midfield.  I fully believe he would have created more goals/goal scoring opportunities this break if he was here.  There were some glimpses of creativity in our midfield throughout this break but not the same as Arfield can create.  Also, I do not mind him coming off the bench going forward as well. We have had some great midfield performances in recent games.  I can't imagine Hutchinson and Eustaquio being dropped and both Osorio and Kaye have shown excellently in some games recently.  Just imagine putting Arfield on for the final 20 minutes of a game.

8 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Maybe a little biased but I think we comfortably have the 3rd best depth in CONCACAF and it's going to give us a leg up on our opponents for that 3rd spot.

I think I agree with you. To (theoretically) be able to roll a midfield three of say Eustaquio-Kaye-Arfield one match and then Piette-Hutch-Osorio the next is incredible for us.

20 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I thought as much but then I saw that Jamaica is doing a Suriname style recruitment program with all its UK based players.  If they get them all, they might have the best or 2nd best overall team in CONCACAF 

Just now, Stryker911 said:

Everyone keeps talking about how we need depth and rotation. We literally just played 3 games in 7 games and played almost the identical lineup in every game. 

That's likely not always going to be the case through injury, fatigue, etc.

41 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

I thought as much but then I saw that Jamaica is doing a Suriname style recruitment program with all its UK based players.  If they get them all, they might have the best or 2nd best overall team in CONCACAF 

Hasn't Jamaica been doing this?? 

18 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Everyone keeps talking about how we need depth and rotation. We literally just played 3 games in 7 games and played almost the identical lineup in every game. 

Guys coming in from their clubs might have some busy match schedules prior to their arrivals, as well as the already mentioned possible injuries and suspensions.

37 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I think in September assuming they keep on their development track guys like Priso and Baldisimo (And maybe Paton) will be all emerging depth options for Canada in the centre of the park.

Love these young prospects, but I cannot see any of them being ready by September. Give them a couple of years to see if they can displace any of our existing options.

16 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Love these young prospects, but I cannot see any of them being ready by September. Give them a couple of years to see if they can displace any of our existing options.

3-4 months ago who thought Kennedy would step right in and start??  I dont expect Priso/Baldisimo to start, but they could sure take Frasers roster spot.  I would be more leaning to the Dias, Jebbison, Flores kind of guy.  Entice them to gold cup, with the chance at being part of the Ocho in the fall if they are able to integrate with the team. What better time to get on board??  

Stryker911........We are going to need to keep bringing in new guys, upgrade the roster as new talent becomes available.  We got away with limited rotation against haiti and Suriname...it wont be as easy against Honduras /El Salvador, or Costa rica and mexico.   

6 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Hutchinson has played a similar role with Besiktas recently. 

Nothing against Hutchinson at all, excited to have him back, but he’s more box-to-box than an outright playmaker. 

Stats from the super Liga are amazing but he’s a different set from Arfield. 

Edited by ag futbol

4 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

We need Arfield. Osorio or Wotherspoon as starters doesn't cut it for me

Well I certainly wouldn’t play Osorio on the right like we did last game. He’s exponentially more effective on the other side. But issue is, Kaye likes to operate in that area too. 

Personally, my first choice would be:

Kaye- Eustaquio-Hutchinson

Alternatively...

——Arfield—-

Kaye—Eustaquio

But only if we have the right defensive balance. I still have memories of that lineup against the US, which played way too open.

We’re going to have to experiment a bit before we land on the right combo. 

5 hours ago, Corazon said:

I am not closing the door on Arfield and if he wants to return, I will welcome him back but obviously the more time he misses with the team, the less likely he is going to see minutes when he does return.  With that being said, he absolutely offers something different in our midfield.  I fully believe he would have created more goals/goal scoring opportunities this break if he was here.  There were some glimpses of creativity in our midfield throughout this break but not the same as Arfield can create.  Also, I do not mind him coming off the bench going forward as well. We have had some great midfield performances in recent games.  I can't imagine Hutchinson and Eustaquio being dropped and both Osorio and Kaye have shown excellently in some games recently.  Just imagine putting Arfield on for the final 20 minutes of a game.

If he does come back and that's a very big if, he should not be awarded an automatic spot in the starting XI. He should be coming off the bench period.