Alistair Johnston

lazlo_80

He looks assured and composed back there.  I know many here loved that crunching tackle but a much bigger part of his game is more of the "ounce of prevention" as opposed to the need for a "ton of cure" much higher risk "hero" challenge.  There us an efficiency to his defensive play and he has a lot of steady eddie traits I  like.

(Hope I didn't jinx him 🤞)

10 hours ago, An Observer said:

This is one area where we could use Arfield.

On Johnstone, I am really impressed.  I would like to see him in a match where we are essentially playing under pressure in our own half for most of it.  Also, not sure how good he is in the air.  I think if I can see that some more and he passes those tests (possibly the next match), then I will be completely sold.  

Agree, he needs to move to a better league.

In a back 3 with 2 of Vitoria/Kennedy/Henry his ability in the air should not be an issue. As a FB not many are great in the air and that usually falls to the 2 CBs

7 hours ago, Kadenge said:

In a back 3 with 2 of Vitoria/Kennedy/Henry his ability in the air should not be an issue. As a FB not many are great in the air and that usually falls to the 2 CBs

To an extent, you are correct but if I am another side and he is weak in the air (not saying he is as I just don’t know), i would target crosses from the right to late arriving players who are good in the air from the left to the back post.  Or the same from the left but to the near post.  That would expose that weakness pretty quickly.  You can cover for that weakness fine in set pieces but not as much from open play for well prepared teams.

Listening to his interview, such a thoughtful player. What frustrates me is how TFC and Canada Youth overlooked him. If he was developed through strong academy and national youth he would be further along. Another problem is TFC youth development has been hilariously garbage  as GTA born Canada players have come through sources other than TFC.

2 hours ago, El Diego said:

Low key psycho for sure. Even though we have guys like Henry and Cavallini, I think Johnston and Laryea are the guys you don't wanna mess with...

I'd want to mess with Henry. He's just going to take an irresponsible card and help my team. 

Johnston on the other hand makes the same hard painful tackles except they're clean 99 times out of 100.

1 hour ago, Hawkguy said:

I'd want to mess with Henry. He's just going to take an irresponsible card and help my team. 

Johnston on the other hand makes the same hard painful tackles except they're clean 99 times out of 100.

Well put, but I was thinking more along the lines of on the street. Sure, Henry or Cavallini would clean my clock, but I feel like Johnston or Laryea might stab me

2 hours ago, Hawkguy said:

I think there is more myth than reality when it comes to Henry.  

Here are the stats on Henry's cards for club competitions:

198 appearances / 15,202 minutes: 37 yellow cards / 1 second yellow / 1 direct red (both of which were in 2013)

For CMNT: 39 appearances: 7 yellows / 1 second yellow (Cuba 2019).

For comparison's sake, Vitoria's club:

290 appearances / 22,900 minutes: 87 yellows / 6 second yellows / 3 direct reds

For CMNT: 24 appearances: 8 yellows

It would be interesting to see stats on penalties conceded, that may tell a different story.  But first impressions are hard to break and I suspect that for many, their views on Doneil are clouded by his appearances as a really young CB on some of the shitiest of all shitty TFC teams.

Edit:

Yes, Johnston has been amazing - unique combination of poise, timing and aggression when defending.  Sorry for the derail! 

Edited by kacbru

6 minutes ago, kacbru said:

198 appearances / 15,202 minutes: 37 yellow cards / 1 second yellow / 1 direct red (both of which were in 2013)

It would be interesting to see stats on penalties conceded, that may tell a different story.  But first impressions are hard to break and I suspect that for many, their views on Doneil are clouded by his appearances as a really young CB on some of the shitiest of all shitty TFC teams.

To be frank, I think it is the penalties that are the actual issue.  I can’t cite specific examples but my recollection is that he has given them away in some pretty crucial moments - and that they have been game-defining.  Fairly or not, I think that is why they stand out.  The alternative is that a whole bunch of us just have some weird irrational distrust of Doniel, and I don’t know why that would be the case.  

On 9/5/2021 at 1:21 AM, SirBobsaget said:

Listening to his interview, such a thoughtful player. What frustrates me is how TFC and Canada Youth overlooked him. If he was developed through strong academy and national youth he would be further along. Another problem is TFC youth development has been hilariously garbage  as GTA born Canada players have come through sources other than TFC.

Having attended the SC Nashville game last weekend and attended the supporters tailgate I can not say enough how much they love Alistair down there, he is a fan favourite, he certainly offers a lot and the sky is the limit for this kid. 

3 hours ago, kacbru said:

Edit:

Yes, Johnston has been amazing - unique combination of poise, timing and aggression when defending.  Sorry for the derail! 

It's not just cards, which you covered later in your post. Most of us just write cards instead of going in depth. I know he led MLS in penalties conceded 7 years ago. And I know he conceded a penalty a couple months ago in the Gold Cup as well - in a game we were playing very well in.

As a Wolves fan, he reminds me a lot of Romain Saiss. I don't doubt his heart and his drive. He's just a little too irresponsible. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...