Alistair Johnston

lazlo_80

Johnston's kind of difficult... he's clearly real good at what he does, but I can imagine some skepticism from bigger teams - he's not very tall for a CB and he's not very attack-minded for a modern fullback. I'm not saying he doesn't make up for those things, but IMO, it does close off what most of us would consider upward moves. Midtable Championship could use him, but that just wouldn't be much of an improvement. EPL is a little hard to imagine for me with the real or imagined drawbacks.

That leaves maybe a few teams in between, but I dunno... he seems like the kind of player who's much more valuable on the pitch than on paper. 

We have seen first hand over the years canadians who were regular staters and even key contributors to helping their side to promotion.  But did they move up with their club?  Nope.   I recall the Pesch example.   Brennan, i believe was another example.  Devos with wigan mayhve been another.  

I also checked a few of the promoted sides and checked their championships roster and compared it to the prem league roster.   Thats the sample i saw.     i stand by what i said, i saw two differnt rosters except for a few players.  i am not looking it up again.  

Edited by Free kick

45 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

Johnston's kind of difficult... he's clearly real good at what he does, but I can imagine some skepticism from bigger teams - he's not very tall for a CB and he's not very attack-minded for a modern fullback. I'm not saying he doesn't make up for those things, but IMO, it does close off what most of us would consider upward moves. Midtable Championship could use him, but that just wouldn't be much of an improvement. EPL is a little hard to imagine for me with the real or imagined drawbacks.

That leaves maybe a few teams in between, but I dunno... he seems like the kind of player who's much more valuable on the pitch than on paper. 

Thank you.  This is fair to say.   What i dont agree with is the notion suggested earlier that the best he can do Championship level.    Then maybe he should stay in MLS and build a name for himself and prove that he is consistent performer.  That he do the things like you said. 

Edited by Free kick

1 hour ago, prairiecanuck said:

Promoted sides absolutely do not get rid of all their players.  That's just incorrect.  Clubs relegated also try and hold on to quality players if they are under contract for an extended period.  

Did i say ALL?

And to your next point i am not disputing any of that but i dont see how that relates to the point i made.  In fact it may compliment it.  Yes they try to hold on to their players but many if not most if them move or asked to be moved.

Edited by Free kick

To be fair he looked good playing as a winger early on for Nashville. Not a fancy dribbler but an old fashioned direct wide player with a decent delivery. He is better going forward than given credit for but definitely the right move to push him to fullback. Just a solid, understated  player imo.

18 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Did i say ALL?

And to your next point i am not disputing any of that but i dont see how that relates to the point i made.  In fact it may compliment it.  Yes they try to hold on to their players but many if not most if them move or asked to be moved.

You didn't say all, but you basically said all....this is what you said.

"Promoted side dump pretty much thier whole squad and sell them to sec div clubs"

West Brom lineup June 20, 2020 in the championship

Jonstone, Ajayi, Bartley, Townsend, LIvermore, Sawyers, Pereira, Groshiki, Diangagna, Austin,O'shea...subs Matt Phillips, Hal Robson-Kanu, Krovinovic, Callum Robinson.

West brom lineup September 19, 2020 against Everton in the Premiership:

Johnstone, Ajayi, Bartley, Gibbs, O'shea, Furlong, Callum Robinson, Pereira, Sawyers Diangangna Furlong.

That isn't exactly dumping pretty much their whole squad.  Furlong and Gibbs who started in the Septermber 19th game were on the West brom roster for the Championship game June 20th.  They just were not used that game.

I've been following West Brom since 2010.  I've seen a couple promotions and relegations.

You also have to compare that to the regular turnover these clubs always have year to year. No roster stays stagnant regardless of Pro/Rel. 

I just see Johnston having a better chance of showing his quality in a top Championship side and getting into the PL by getting promoted. We know his quality and if given the chance I am sure several teams would be interested. He is rock solid but look at all the quality in the PL that struggle to get minutes. 

Apparently their is interest from England so we shall see what kind of offers come in when the January windows opens. 

Did you check Watford?   
I will conceded Norwich.  But they are last.

basicly where you see the biggest turnover is in the attacking roles.  Also last year was an anomaly with covid and the transfer market drying up.   

Edited by Free kick

2 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Did you check Watford?   

I didn't check any club.  I just knew for a fact that West Brom didn't turn their roster over completely because I follow the club!  I'm not saying they didn't bring in new players.  They wasted their money too.  I'm not suggesting that there isn't turnover, but playing time will be easier for Alistair in the Championship and if he proves himself with the minutes on the pitch there's a great chance he stays with the club when they are promoted just like Kennedy will stay with Jahn Regensburg if they are promoted.  Kennedy has proven himself to be one of the best players in the Bundesliga 2.  Even if Jahn Regensburg isn't promoted there will likely be a few clubs interested in his services.

3 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Did you check Watford?   

Brentford are playing with essentially the same team that got them promoted and are doing well. Last season, Leeds kept most of the players that got them promoted and ended up staying up comfortably. You have the example of WBA that's been explained above. The fact of the matter is that, if you're a key player on a promoted side, you're likely to remain, at least as a useful squad player, at the outset of the initial Premier League campaign. From there, it's up to the player to prove that they belong with their performances on the field. To say that promoted sides ditch all, or even most, of the players who got them promoted is just plain wrong.

I think the issue with Johnston is that he isn't fast enough or dynamic enough with the ball to play modern full back and especially wing back in a top 5 league or tall enough or strong enough to play CB in a back 4.  That being said, I think he is excellent in a back 3 if you have 2 other tall CBs beside him.  So I can see a side that is fully committed to such a back 3 in a top 5 league taking him as he is a really solid defender, has great football IG, surprisingly hard nosed, good on the ball and passes well.  He is just unbelievably dependable.  Frankly, he is what you wanted of an old school fullback but the modern game has moved on somewhat.  He reminds me of Cannavaro who was only 5'9" but one of the greatest defenders of all time (of course, he is not Cannavaro as he doesn't have the strength or aerial ability of him amongst other attributes)

That being said, he is a guy I would want on my side as a manager.  Yes, you would the Alphonso Davies but if you are mid-tier top 5 league side who can't afford those types, I would personally want one or two players on my side who are just all round solid players who you can simply rely on even if they don't do anything spectacular.  He is that player.  He will do the stuff that doesn't show up in the stats but will just make your side much better.  And for that, I would expect some shrewd manager will pick him up in the next year or so for that reason.

If i was Johnston, I would really concentrate on my strength and bulking up in that respect as that is one area he could get better in.  As if he could keep all his existing attributes but also become a bit of bull, that would go a long way to making him better.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2021 at 1:21 PM, canuckgbp said:

He is only on $73,079. Talk about a discount. Time to get paid somewhere. 

Tough break for Nashville tonight.

The man is criminally underpaid.

He only made like $57 000 USD in 2020 as far as I know.

His mother is from Northern Ireland so I assume he has a British Passport and maybe even an Irish one ( EU 🇪🇺 ).

Does anybody know his contract details?

Back in 2020, there was an option for 2021:

https://www.nashvillesc.com/news/nashville-sc-announces-season-roster-moves

and it seems like it may have been a 2-year option (or longer) because his contract runs through at least 2022.

22 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Tough break for Nashville tonight.

The man is criminally underpaid.

He only made like $57 000 USD in 2020 as far as I know.

His mother is from Northern Ireland so I assume he has a British Passport and maybe even an Irish one ( EU 🇪🇺 ).

Does anybody know his contract details?

Back in 2020, there was an option for 2021:

https://www.nashvillesc.com/news/nashville-sc-announces-season-roster-moves

and it seems like it may have been a 2-year option (or longer) because his contract runs through at least 2022.

If you’re born in Northern Ireland, you are eligible for both Irish and British passports. 

I wouldn’t be surprised at all if someone comes in to sign Johnston, as he is demonstrating his abilities both in league and international play. Being able to be considered domestic in UK and European leagues is a major boost for his future possibilities. 

Edited by maccaliam

1 hour ago, Big_M said:

offers will come in...if hes under contract till 22 nashville will see if its worth it to sell him

Problem is MLS is a salary cap league where the league takes a substantial cut of the transfer fee (last time I checked). So if they're paying him 73K, but he plays like a +300K player, and they don't get to keep the whole transfer fee, they'd have to get a heck of a transfer fee to make it worth their while. Euro clubs aren't going to pay both what he's worth and the delta they would need to replace him with a more expensive player. That's always been the problem with young, talented players transferring out of the MLS. That's why a guy like Cyle Larin had to basically walk and force Orlando's hand.

Edited by A_Gagne

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

What would they get for Johnston??  3-4mil USD?? Mckennie for 6, Reynolds for 8, Buchanon went for 7, so that sounds about right eh?  Might be worth more within MLS.  

That might be optimistic. Nothing against Johnston but he plays a less sexy position and has a less flashy game. I'd guess around a mil.

6 hours ago, maccaliam said:

If you’re born in Northern Ireland, you are eligible for both Irish and British passports....

Goes beyond that to having a single grandparent born in NI in the RoI case (think the UK is more restrictive but forget the gory details) and possibly even out to a single great-grandparent if you were registered appropriately as a foreign birth.

5 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

That might be optimistic. Nothing against Johnston but he plays a less sexy position and has a less flashy game. I'd guess around a mil.

Sam Vines went for $2M to Royal Antwerp. That’s a good comp since they are same age, profile and similarly rated players. Johnston’s national team experience might give him a slight edge.