Alistair Johnston

lazlo_80

For sure he was one of only a few players who played well tonight, he saved a sure goal with a beautiful last ditch tackle and when he won the ball with 2 crunching tackles in a row I have no idea why the ref stopped the play because the Honduran was rolling around as a result of the tackles, we were on our way up the field in numbers!

1 hour ago, El Diego said:

This guys puts out so many fires in transition, surely there's a nick name here somewhere (firefighter, fire extinguisher, etc.)

First thing that crosses my mind when i see him defending 1v1 is "full stop".

He was just soo enjoyable to watch play after play, stop after stop.  It was artistic, he so smart and quick.

Edited by costarg

34 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

I wonder why he isn't taking corners. Can clearly get good crosses into the box.

Watching him in MLS his best crosses seem to be diagonals from above the box, don't really recall seeing many dangerous byline/deep crossing. Could be his skill is at picking out a runner rather than delivering a corner that is tricky enough to evade set piece defenders.

4 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Just belatedly piling on - this guys is a beast.  

Two years ago I hadn’t heard of him.  One year ago I knew he existed but didn’t know anything about him. This year I think he is going to be an anchor for us on the right defensive side for the next decade.  

Crazy how in 2019 we had for RB Godinho / Brault-Guillard, since then Johnston and Laryea have materialized to establish 2 solid RB options. Looking back on this thread I see that Johnston made his MLS debut just over a year ago, and this thread was only created when drafted in Jan 2020.

Funny how we track all these players for years as they hop around every type and level of league only to have the 'RB Solution' pop up out of seemingly nowhere. 

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

Davies' first like six corners didn't even beat the first man. Canada in generally are horrendous at getting anything from corners.

This is one area where we could use Arfield.

On Johnstone, I am really impressed.  I would like to see him in a match where we are essentially playing under pressure in our own half for most of it.  Also, not sure how good he is in the air.  I think if I can see that some more and he passes those tests (possibly the next match), then I will be completely sold.  

Agree, he needs to move to a better league.