Alistair Johnston

lazlo_80

On 6/10/2021 at 1:33 AM, Varsity Tyler said:

Agreed on Canada going to a back 5 with wing backs. West Ham did it this past season (before Coufal) as a means of patching over a relatively thin back line, and I think that we can use the formation to the same effect. We have the wing backs for it, and I think that having 3 CBs can add that extra bit of cover for this thin position in our own 11. West Ham also have the luxury of Rice and Soucek in front of those back 3, both of whom can either get stuck in to break up plays, or advance the ball quickly when possession is regained (Rice, especially). For us that is Eustaquio and Piette. Moyes used this formation expertly as a means of making his side more than the sum of its parts - it's not like West Ham had a ton of cash to spread around to cover weaker areas. Herdman is limited similarly and I think he would be wise to embrace it against opposition which is our equal or greater.

I feel like having Hutch in for Piette makes an even better comparison for this formation’s use. Hopefully we get to the ocho and we can see this in action. 

5 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Full matches:

Tuesday, June 8th
Saturday, June 12th
Tuesday, June 15th
and now
Friday June 18th for club

Hopefully he's fresh for the Gold Cup!

Definitely going to need him. In fact I would say more or less he has that right back position on lock when it comes to our national team.

4 hours ago, Atlantic said:

I wonder what ever happened to those rumours of championship teams being interested in him? He seems like a pretty key piece to Nashville so I’d imagine it would take quite the price for a transfer to go through. 

This was around the time there was uncertainty with the CBA. The CBA has been sorted out since then. 

22 minutes ago, red card said:

Didn't know Johnston & Pantemis played youth football together in Montreal. 

I looked into this the first time it was mentioned on a Montreal broadcast this year. Wikipedia says Johnston only played for Lakeshore for a couple of years before he was 10. Family moved to Ontario afterwards. Still pretty cool that two guys from lakeshore who played together when they were at most 7 are playing against each other professionally. 

10 minutes ago, farrelld said:

I looked into this the first time it was mentioned on a Montreal broadcast this year. Wikipedia says Johnston only played for Lakeshore for a couple of years before he was 10. Family moved to Ontario afterwards. Still pretty cool that two guys from lakeshore who played together when they were at most 7 are playing against each other professionally. 

And with each other on the NT!

• 5 weeks later...

Been so many standouts its hard to not give everyone credit. Johnston has been a revelation imo. Hugely tested last night but has passed this gold cup with flying colours. 

Concentration, application, consistency and stamina. He barely put a foot wrong all tournament.

The talk is rightly about the inevitable Tajon move to Europe but Johnston shouldn't be far behind. Should have plenty of suitors.

10 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

So nice to see these guys progress.  Johnston, Miller, Lareya, Buchanon all out of the NCAA ranks, not tagged as cant miss youth stars all find their footing in MLS, then grow into big time INT players for Canada.  

Almost like the long from being useful MLS draft has been useful. Possible they would have made it anyway but adding the CPL (and hopefully more L1 and D2) to the NCAA, USL and MLS, we are benefiting from multiple systems right now and should do for the foreseeable, fingers crossed.

What a surprise Ali has been to the program. Absolutely love what he brings in a defensive role (not convinced when he’s playing higher up on the pitch but that can develop). 

The tenacity he brings, his decision making, and his overall attitude is on point. RCB is high spot to lose.

45 minutes ago, toontownman said:

The talk is rightly about the inevitable Tajon move to Europe but Johnston shouldn't be far behind. Should have plenty of suitors.

Wasn't he was linked to a Championship club in the last off-season? I believe it was Reading and I think it was one off those loans you see MLSers make (Dike-Barnsley, Morris/Arriola-Swansea, etc.)

We can't mention it enough, he's amazing one on one and in distribution, so calm.  Always comes up with a clean challenge and manages to negate some major attacking threats like it was a nobody, only to realize who he went up against after the play.  Some really talented guys had a really hard time getting around him, he makes it look so easy.

• 1 month later...