Alistair Johnston

lazlo_80

3 minutes ago, RS said:

On the bench today vs. NYCFC. Hopefully it's a tactical decision not a health one.

Costa Rican international Leal is also on the bench.

When I was at the Nashville NYFC game a few days before USA Canada match their supporters could not say enough good things regarding Alistair , he is loved down there. Great on him for the player he is becoming. 

On 10/3/2021 at 3:31 PM, Gian-Luca said:

Looks like he played the 2nd half of a 0-0 draw

Alistair was just named the Canadian Player of the Month after starting and playing every minute of the three World Cup Qualifiers. This is great to see.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/2021/10/04/alistair-johnston-nichelle-prince-honoured-as-canada-soccers-players-of-the-month.html

^^100% It was a tough day at the office but he hung in and was he usual tough nosed self.  After Davies was seemingly knocked over almost every time he got the ball (very cynically) a couple times in the second half Johnston gave out a set of lumps to a few deserving mexicans.  Everytime I see Johnston he does something to make me like him more.  I know they dont get the press, but Johnston, K. Miller and Kennedy maturing into their defensive roles has got to be almost a big a piece to our new found success as the new attacking options.  

On 8/26/2020 at 9:37 PM, Big_M said:

johnston is really quality..shut down nani once and really good on the ball and crossing..wanna see him go to europe

On 8/27/2020 at 4:01 AM, One American said:

He just got here. 

On 9/3/2021 at 12:52 PM, dyslexic nam said:

Just belatedly piling on - this guys is a beast.  

Two years ago I hadn’t heard of him.  One year ago I knew he existed but didn’t know anything about him. This year I think he is going to be an anchor for us on the right defensive side for the next decade.  

On 9/3/2021 at 5:09 PM, SirBobsaget said:

Crazy how in 2019 we had for RB Godinho / Brault-Guillard, since then Johnston and Laryea have materialized to establish 2 solid RB options. Looking back on this thread I see that Johnston made his MLS debut just over a year ago, and this thread was only created when drafted in Jan 2020.

Funny how we track all these players for years as they hop around every type and level of league only to have the 'RB Solution' pop up out of seemingly nowhere. 

On 9/4/2021 at 1:29 AM, An Observer said:

This is one area where we could use Arfield.

On Johnstone, I am really impressed.  I would like to see him in a match where we are essentially playing under pressure in our own half for most of it.  Also, not sure how good he is in the air.  I think if I can see that some more and he passes those tests (possibly the next match), then I will be completely sold.  

Agree, he needs to move to a better league.

Saw it and said it from the start of his mls career that he had very high quality and should be in europe

Remember his little brother Malcolm is still a junior NCAA....lots of buzz, starter for a big program top 20 Maryland (St Clair).  Central midfielder..more of a AM to start but seems like he can do a lot.  Just so no one can say he came out of nowhere in a year or two when he hits MLS.  You can find NCAA games on youtube if you want to see.  

On 10/14/2021 at 3:37 PM, Dominic94 said:

Probably this winter, he had Champ interest last year, apparently it came close. Would imagine he’s gone to EPL bottom tier or something at year’s end.

I'd take him at Wolves in January and loan him to a championship side for the rest of the season. Would love to see him make Semedo step up. Hoever is our backup right now and just doesn't have it. 

On 10/15/2021 at 2:55 PM, Hawkguy said:

I'd take him at Wolves in January and loan him to a championship side for the rest of the season. Would love to see him make Semedo step up. Hoever is our backup right now and just doesn't have it. 

Could probably show him a thing or two about how to jockey Phonzie...  😉