Alistair Johnston

lazlo_80

Says he signed an "improved, long-term extension". He made $73,000 last year. This is probably a mutually beneficial deal. Tear up that last year of making small money for this year and re-negotiate it. Say he is worth $500,000 a year, they probably gave him $300-400,000 for this and next year (even it out between his market value and his bargain deal, spread over multiple years), then tack on a couple years, with a handshake deal that he won't play those years and can go to Europe on a transfer fee. Play an extra year in MLS, but gets some salary certainty.

Edited by rydermike

11 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

This one confuses me especially with the extension, I genuinely had hope we might see him move to Europe soon. I guess he was due a raise, but I can't see MTL making this move without some kind of assurance he'd at least play for this year

I don’t see any reason to think he wouldn’t play this coming season with CFM.  After that who knows, but this is a guy who only became well known in the last year.  

With this move, he can play in MLS (in a season that lines up perfectly to keep players tuned up in advance of Qatar), keep getting exposure through the national team, and make a big move either before or after appearing in the WC for Canada.  

3 minutes ago, MauditYvon said:

Honestly, doesn’t change much for ZBG. Johnston is coming in replacement of Camacho and that’s it. 

Pantemis, Breza

Miller, Johnston, ZBG, Waterman and Bassong

Piette and Choinière

9 Canadians that will have playing time next year. Love that (and they play Champions League leygo).

I doubt very much he is Camacho's replacement. 

34 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

TFC used to be my team in MLS and I am still exited about the kids, but more and more I am liking what Montreal is doing with the Canadian content.  Johnston joins Miller, ZBG, and Waterman in defence, and that isn’t even touching keeper and midfield (or fringe guys like Bassong). Great to see a team pushing that hard to field Canadians.  

Hopefully TSN picks up more of their games next year. Super annoyed all the times their games conflicted with TFC and instead of watching at least 5 Canadians playing with Montreal was stuck with Toronto.

Waterman was starting a few games at the center towards the end of the season. I think what they have in mind is Miller - Waterman - Johnston, at least to try starting the season. 

and if that doesn't work, see where Yao and Ferdinand can fit in. A lot of Canadian options 😍

Edited by Chad_Impact

2 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

??? Johnston is a replacement for Camacho?  Alistar is a straight FB with Nashville, plays right side in a 3back system for Canada.....he isnt a the center man in that 3back system.  Isnt that what  Montreal used... Camacho central withwaterman and Miller on either side, then the FB's?

from what i saw he was playing in a back 3 for NV at the end of the season and playoffs

4 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

??? Johnston is a replacement for Camacho?  Alistar is a straight FB with Nashville, plays right side in a 3back system for Canada.....he isnt a the center man in that 3back system.  Isnt that what  Montreal used... Camacho central withwaterman and Miller on either side, then the FB's?

I didn't watch many Nashville games but when the lineups were released, in the later half of the season Johnston seemed to be slotted in at RCB quite often. 

1 minute ago, canuckgbp said:

I didn't watch many Nashville games but when the lineups were released, in the later half of the season Johnston seemed to be slotted in at RCB quite often. 

Yeah but Camacho did not play RCB. He was in the center of that 3 men back line. I don't think Johnston has the skill set and the physique to play that position.

46 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

TFC used to be my team in MLS and I am still exited about the kids, but more and more I am liking what Montreal is doing with the Canadian content.  Johnston joins Miller, ZBG, and Waterman in defence, and that isn’t even touching keeper and midfield (or fringe guys like Bassong). Great to see a team pushing that hard to field Canadians.  

Think about how far we've come. TFC also pushed and fielded a lot of Canadians in the early years, and in a lower quality MLS those players still weren't good enough. Now, multiple teams can field plenty of Canadians and the players more than hold their own.

7 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Yeah but Camacho did not play RCB. He was in the center of that 3 men back line. I don't think Johnston has the skill set and the physique to play that position.

Move Waterman to the middle. Miller at LCB and ZBG at RWB and Choinire/Bassong at LWB

Maybe Yao and Ferdinand at cover unless they get loaned again. 

Edited by canuckgbp