Alistair Johnston

lazlo_80

47 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

The problem is that MLS locks up the young players to multi year contracts and makes it hard to leave to a higher paying league which keeps their salaries down.

Yea. Unless they force a transfer… I’d imagine though that he’s gone at season end, he looks like he has the quality to play higher.

4 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Great to see the kid getting some love from the locals. He is certainly loved by those down in Nashville as he certainly has stepped up for the national team. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Why not hold out for the Premier League. You have to be a first division player to get into this side.

Getting Ready Episode 2 GIF by The Office

That would be ideal, but if he did make a move to the Championship I can't see him remaining there for long, he's exactly the type of player fans will fall in love with (as we can see from ourselves)

26 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

That would be ideal, but if he did make a move to the Championship I can't see him remaining there for long, he's exactly the type of player fans will fall in love with (as we can see from ourselves)

Case in point right here, the kid wanted to see the best and take him down. Love the mentality of our group

EDIT: Adding this one as well because it's incredible

Edited by Approve My Account Pls

6 hours ago, canuckgbp said:

Hopefully he moves in January. A championship side must see the value here? Apparently he has the passport so the fifa rankings won’t matter. 

Why a championship side?   You don’t even see championship side players getting much interest from MLS teams anymore.  Even in the early years of TFC, players like Dichio, Robinson, Welsh etc came from those levels but at least they (except for andy welsh) had some some PL exposure on their resume. 

Edited by Free kick

5 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Why a championship side?   You don’t even see championship side players getting much interest from MLS teams anymore.  Even in the early years of TFC, players like Dichio, Robinson, Welsh etc came from those levels but at least they (except) had some some PL exposure on their resume. 

I don’t see a PL team taking a chance. Maybe I am wrong. I think he would get real minutes in the Championship where breaking into a PL side would be difficult. 

If he doesn’t move in January and goes next summer then 100% a newly promoted team should have a look at him. 

Otherwise somewhere else in Europe is also fair game. But since he has the passport that gives him an easier time in England. 

2 hours ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Why do you not see him not remaining long at a Championship side if he gets transferred to a Championship side?  Several years ago actually did an informal check on this by looking at all the transfers over a certain time frame.   Why I found is there are players who move down to Championship level but it is very very very rare for 2nd div. players to move up.  Basically once you are a 2nd div player,  you are a deemed second div player. 

and this also happens with promote sides.  Promoted side dump pretty much thier whole squad and sell them to sec div clubs and use new found EPL money to buy new players

I could never understand why we undervalue our talented players so much here on the forum.   To me,  a sign that we have become a good National team is that there is no more room for sec div players

Edited by Free kick

10 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

Are we undervaluing him? How do you rate MLS compared to the Championship. 

Ok.  I knew that this was your intention all along.  I am not going to go there.  Look if you don’t like MLs or need to propagate this notion.  I am not going there.   I will say that Championship level talent have no interest to mls sides.  

alos.  Our MNT is about to qualify for the WC.  It it has a very significant content of mls players. How far did we get with all those 2nd div players of the past. 

Edited by Free kick

10 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Ok.  I knew that this was your intention all along.  I am not going to go there.  Look if you don’t like MLs or need to propagate this notion.  I am not going there.   I will say that Championship level talent have no interest to mls sides.  

alos.  Our MNT is about to qualify for the WC.  It it has a very significant content of mls players. 

Honestly, you have the wrong idea entirely. You couldn't be more off in how I think about MLS. I do rate MLS and enjoy it very much. 

I think you are underrating the Premier League and how tough it is though. Johnston has had a great year both in MLS and through WCQ. Is it enough to get onto a PL roster? Maybe.

I am also not sure why joining a strong Championship side looking for promotion (or have been promoted for next summer) is some how undervaluing Johnston talent. 

Edited by canuckgbp

24 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Why do you not see him not remaining long at a Championship side if he gets transferred to a Championship side?  Several years ago actually did an informal check on this by looking at all the transfers over a certain time frame.   Why I found is there are players who move down to Championship level but it is very very very rare for 2nd div. players to move up.  Basically once you are a 2nd div player,  you are a deemed second div player. 

and this also happens with promote sides.  Promoted side dump pretty much thief whole squad and sell them to sec div clubs and use new found 0pl money to buy new players

I could never understand why we undervalue our talented players so much here on the forum.   To me,  a sign that we have become a good National team is that there is no more room for sec div players

Promoted sides absolutely do not get rid of all their players.  That's just incorrect.  Clubs relegated also try and hold on to quality players if they are under contract for an extended period.  The revenue side goes up and when you play in the premiership, it goes down when you are in the championship.   So it's not wrong that some top players are sold when relegated and when clubs earn promotion they get rid of and buy some new players, but it's not an entire roster turnover.

Relegated clubs also get parachute payments for 2 to 3 years.   Every championship club is not the same just as not every premier league club is the same.  I cheer for the Baggies and Livermore has been with Westbrom 6 seasons.  2 in the premiership, then they got relegated and were down for 2 years, back to the premiership for a year and relegated and back in the championship this year and again in 3rd place eyeing promotion again.  He's been a regular with them the entire time.  

26 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

Honestly, you have the wrong idea entirely. You couldn't be more off in how I think about MLS. I do rate MLS and enjoy it very much. 

I think you are underrating the Premier League and how tough it is though. Johnston has had a great year both in MLS and through WCQ. Is it enough to get onto a PL roster? Maybe.

I am also not sure why joining a strong Championship side looking for promotion (or have been promoted for next summer) is some how undervaluing Johnston talent. 

I think a top championship club would be a great place for Johnston.   

53 minutes ago, Free kick said:

and this also happens with promote sides.  Promoted side dump pretty much thief whole squad and sell them to sec div clubs and use new found 0pl money to buy new players

I think many of the people above share the same sentiment as me. Would I love to see Johnston in the prem? Of course, but at this point I can't see too many mid table and above teams coming for him. I think if he went to a promotion contender, he can develop while playing winning and competitive football as opposed to getting packed in each and every week on a team that's more or less the same level. I have faith in him that he'd perform and get noticed while doing so.