Alistair Johnston

lazlo_80

On 8/17/2020 at 12:57 PM, Lansdude said:

Sure. He still looked suited better to midfield than right back, going by what we would typically think of the attributes of those positions are, Lahms, Kimmichs, even Zusis aside. Your point is taken.

Still hard to tell until we see him at RB, where the coach sees him. He might look equally as well suited there playing with different instructions and a defensive mindset.

Seemed like an excellent defensive minded winger. Doesnt he also play CM too? 

Edit: lined up on the wing again against Atlanta. Not quite as effective but a few nice crosses, great work rate and some nice direct passing. Lasted 66 mins or so.

Edited by toontownman

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Just played 90 at RB in 1-0 win for Nashville, and apparently had a strong game. Looking good for our depth at RB going forward

Fantastic. I have been very impressed with what I have seen from him. Was he playing RB? He has been starting at RW. The coach did say they see him at RB long term though. 

He was good, didn't get up the field a lot but handled the ball well. Also made a lot of well-timed tackles/blocks late in the game when Miami were attacking on his side. Not the fastest but has great positional IQ and doesn't bite easily at dribbles. Makes himself available for a pass and is confident in his own passing. Says something that Nashville used all five subs and he wasn't one of them despite covering a ton of ground. Looks like a fixture at RB though as I said before he could be put to better use up and in.

This Nashville side is a good opportunity and he's making the most of it, would be nice if some of our other young guys on deep rosters got a chance to shine on upstart sides. 

Definitely consider this kid a promising iron in the fire for us, another nice surprise.

Edited by Lansdude

1 hour ago, Norrin Radd said:

How does he compare as a RB to ZBG and/or Laryea?

Different type of player. He's very much a RB in the mold of Kimmich. Both seem to be comfortable in midfield ,either centrally or out wide.  Not as athletic, but has an above average football IQ, relies on good positioning. He can also be physical and strong in the tackle. He's 5'11 and built well. 

Edited by PopePouri

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

He's one for the future after this successful rookie campaign.  I wish for him continued success.  

And playing at RB, so a spot where we could use some depth and competition.  I know we have Laryea and ZBG, but the latter isn’t as solid as Laryea yet so a couple more solid options would definitely be good.  

4 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

And playing at RB, so a spot where we could use some depth and competition.  I know we have Laryea and ZBG, but the latter isn’t as solid as Laryea yet so a couple more solid options would definitely be good.  

He also looked solid as a winger. The fact he is versatile and can also play through the centre should give him a decent chance of minutes. Hope he keeps his feet grounded, seems like he is from interviews I have seen.

Yesterday was my first time watching. I am still unsure how to peg him. He was solid, as has been reported, and at times solved problems well in possession but other times was naive in his passing/crossing. I suspect some of the latter is from instruction as Nashville appear to play a very rigid style with one or two players having freedom. It is not exciting but I can respect it.

In a way, they look like what Lille wants to be.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Was he at fault for the 2 Columbus goals the other night?

On the second one it looks like he thought Zardes was offside (I thought Zardes was offside too).

I'd say Jones was the main culprit on the 2nd goal, and as much as I am usually loathe to agree with Alejandro Moreno (can't stand his commentary), I do agree with him it was actually Zimmerman mainly to blame on that 1st goal for chasing a ball on the sidelines for no reason, one that he couldn't possibly win and thus putting him out of position for where he should have been (to clean things up in the centre of the park at the back).

Thought Johnston looked tired on the 2nd goal mind you and perhaps would have done better to compensate for Jones stupidity with this speed if this was earlier in the match. But it wasn't. In fairness, not sure when he ever would have played 120 minutes in a game before. College? League 1 Ontario? Certainly not at this level anyway.