Alistair Johnston

lazlo_80

Good team to be selected to. Expansion team so his minutes are there for the taking. Especially as a top 15 pick in the draft. The coach of Nashville (Gary Smith) Plays a 4-4-2 and 4-2-3-1 mostly. Alistair will be going head to head for minutes at the right back position against 34 year old Brayan Beckeles who was signed from Olympia in Honduras and 26 year old Eric Miller who was brought in from New York. Last year Eric Miller registered a total of 11 matches throughout the season (Between Minessota and New York) so Alistair should be given at least a few opportunities this season. 

I've heard that he'll translate to a box to box mid or right back in the pros.  So I would assume he's also suitable for a RM spot.

Expansion teams worked out well for Larin and Kaye so let's hope this does as well.  I do remember this guy playing against HFX in the Voyageurs Cup as he picked up three yellows (sent off second match).

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Impressed so far. One fantastic cross. Great turn of pace and has a decent amount of strength. Has come central a couple of times and looks good too.

Edit: comes off after 65. Great all round performance. Wasnt involved as much in the last 10-15 but that was more the teams doing than his. Impressed. Some great back tracking and a good cool defensive header to stop a one on one break away. Also as a bonus thought he was 2 years older than he is. At 21 he could be another bonus to the Olympic team if he gets more minutes and performances like this.

Edited by toontownman

7 hours ago, toontownman said:

Impressed so far. One fantastic cross. Great turn of pace and has a decent amount of strength. Has come central a couple of times and looks good too.

Edit: comes off after 65. Great all round performance. Wasnt involved as much in the last 10-15 but that was more the teams doing than his. Impressed. Some great back tracking and a good cool defensive header to stop a one on one break away. Also as a bonus thought he was 2 years older than he is. At 21 he could be another bonus to the Olympic team if he gets more minutes and performances like this.

Named MOTM and his play was lauded by the coach!  Good for the kid.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/08/17/nashville-sc-youngster-alistair-johnston-hailed-coach-gary-smith-after-impressive

With him playing a position of need at RB we may be seeing him sooner than later in the CMNT - similar to Kamal Miller (who ironically may be getting dropped with his lack of time this season).

Who does he compare to? I only saw him twice in the Voyageurs Cup last season but from what I read he seems to be a Nik Ledgerwood/Will Johnson type. Versatile and hardworking. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

25 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

With him playing a position of need at RB we may be seeing him sooner than later in the CMNT - similar to Kamal Miller (who ironically may be getting dropped with his lack of time this season).

Who does he compare to? I only saw him twice in the Voyageurs Cup last season but from what I read he seems to be a Nik Ledgerwood/Will Johnson type. Versatile and hardworking. 

RB isn't a position of need for Canada. We have ZBG/Laryea/Cordova for that spot, not to mention others in CPL as needed. LB is the wide open spot.

57 minutes ago, VinceA said:

RB isn't a position of need for Canada. We have ZBG/Laryea/Cordova for that spot, not to mention others in CPL as needed. LB is the wide open spot.

I agree that LB is open but respectfully disagree about RB here. While all promising no one can say that any of those players have locked down/solidified our RB spot. 2 fringe RBs in MLS and a player with 2 caps. All it would take is a good run of form for anyone to be chosen to start at this point. 

I'd say that for CBs as well ATM - anyone who can come into a good level and start right now is going to get a look.  Converse that with a guy like Harry Paton for instance who can start all he wants in Scotland and will still be hard-pressed to break into midfield. 

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Tough one but those comparisons are reasonable. He was deceptively quick, seems strong and good with the ball at his feet. He is also not overly short. The only negative I saw from him yesterday was when he tried to knock it past the defender and beat him. He tried it twice but never really had enough to get past the LB, who shielded the ball out both times. Hugely promising though. He was all over the pitch. Very calm, composed and confident. Unlucky not to score and assist.

52 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I agree that LB is open but respectfully disagree about RB here. While all promising no one can say that any of those players have locked down/solidified our RB spot. 2 fringe RBs in MLS and a player with 2 caps. All it would take is a good run of form for anyone to be chosen to start at this point. 

I'd say that for CBs as well ATM - anyone who can come into a good level and start right now is going to get a look.  Converse that with a guy like Harry Paton for instance who can start all he wants in Scotland and will still be hard-pressed to break into midfield. 

I think we can confidently say that ZBG is a starter in MLS. He already had a couple MOTM performances this season.

If Alistair Johnson can have a strong season (if you can even call this a "season") and challenge Laryea and Brault-Guillard, that'd be awesome for him and for us. I tuned in late (again) to see him last night, just as the sub was being made. It was the same with David yesterday morning. I'll see him eventually I am sure.

On the point of Laryea and Brault-Guillard being fringe MLS players, well I must say I disagree with that characterization.

Laryea, after fighting tooth and nail for chances in Orlando, can be firmly considered a starting caliber fullback. A short while ago he was a super-sub, but for the MLS finalists, scoring in the playoffs along he way. Hardly a fringe MLS player. 

Meanwhile, Brault-Guillard is going to land somewhere on the 22 under 22 list for 2020. He is not far from Laryea. He too is a starter in this league. 

The RB spot may not be locked down by anyone, but we have 2 solid choices right now, with early signs that we may have a 3rd. Throw in a (probably) capable Cordova into the mix and we're good for RB.  

Edited by Obinna

Going on just what I saw last night, he didn't look like a RB. He seemed properly situated at RM. He might even be more of a central player. His feet are quick, he's a fast, accurate passer and crosser, he dribbles well and wins 1-on-1s and is a tenacious tackler, but he's not particularly pacey. Not to say he's slow. I don't see him going north-south as easily as ZBG or Laryea. Also, his height would be more useful on the inside. I know RB is his natural position but he seems like a sturdy CM to me. I hope Nashville continue to use him on the right side of midfield like they did last night; it suits him better and he'll get on the ball in better offensive situations there.

I'm not surprised he was MOTM. He was the tidiest player on the ball.

Edited by Lansdude

There's plenty of examples of these types of footballers being good to world class fullbacks. Think Phillip Lahm and Joshua Kimmich. Closer to home, Graham Zusi. The role of the fullback is a lot more nuanced these days.

Edited by PopePouri

9 minutes ago, PopePouri said:

There's plenty of examples of these types of footballers being good to world class fullbacks. Think Phillip Lahm and Joshua Kimmich. Closer to home, Graham Zusi. The role of the fullback is a lot more nuanced these days.

Sure. He still looked suited better to midfield than right back, going by what we would typically think of the attributes of those positions are, Lahms, Kimmichs, even Zusis aside. Your point is taken.