Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

3 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I appreciate that Herdman isn't throwing Arfield under the bus and I also appreciate that Hoilett is. What a contrast to Wotherspoon who is in a similar situation but loves coming into camp and wants to as long as his body allows.

Herdman's only real player management misstep was making Arfield captain.

Not only that, Wotherspoon came across the pond for multiple camps and didn’t play a minute.  100% committed.

Regardless of how we feel about Arfield, JH will consult his team leaders before he selects Scotty again; assuming he wants in. It's clear he was not pleased with Arfield skipping WCQ otherwise he wouldn't have brought up the "don't want to play minnows" which understandably would have irked the players. There has been a series of events starting with the Gerrard bombshell.Think JH is trying to keep the door open. 

I'm interested to know if this snub could eventually drive Baldisimo to the Philippines. I don't see their being much experimentation in September and beyond and it seems that Herdman has his "guy" in Liam Fraser who keeps getting calls.

I think Fraser coming is a mistake because I can envision his return to Columbus involving lots of bench time.

I really like the fact that so many of our first 22 are here.  And with that, it cranks up the expectations for results, which is also a very good thing going into the fall.  If this group plays to its potential, it should be final four and possibly beyond, regardless of the opponent.  Tourneys like these have that lottery component (i.e. good chance for at least one penalty shoot out), so we might dominate a team in the QF and still lose out, but either playing our best or finding a way to grind out success when we aren't clicking is what I hope to see at the end of it all.  

I was fully in the camp that Arfield should be allowed back if and when he is willing and able to do so. However, if it’s going to create a divide and tension in the locker room, I don’t think that’s for the best. The chemistry and cohesion of the team seems very high, so I think keeping that going is very important. 

1 hour ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Unfortunately there’s pretty much no way it meant captain. 🧢 is very prominent slang and I know for a fact Junior is aware of that. At the very slightest chance it did mean captain, he would know that would create unnecessary drama.

I agree with you. The way I read it, Arfield is picking and choosing when he wants to come. If he is waiting for us to make the World Cup (which I am not saying he is, but if he was) I would not want him called up.

Edited by ADP10

31 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I'm interested to know if this snub could eventually drive Baldisimo to the Philippines. 

Well...all the best then to him and his brother(s) repping the Phillipines.  If that enhances his professional club career, all power to him.

1 hour ago, BrennanFan said:

Where did he pick up a niggle? Isn't Rangers still in off season or have they started training? 

Could be an existing ache which hasn't responded as well as it should have to rest and treatment.  Not uncommon and, of course, an increasing concern as the clock keeps ticking towards the new season.

So maybe more a wrong turn of phrase by Wheeler?  Wouldn't be the 1st time.

If that's the case that is, don't know.  Whatever reasons Arfield has for missing out on the Gold Cup his position becomes more tenuous with each missed match.  That's a footballer's reality.   Club, country, works both ways.

Even if you pick up a niggle, your national team has the right to call you up and check you out with its medical team. And if not any niggle should be confirmed by the player's club doctors. Wheeler can't just spin things and ignore legal protocol for national teams in FIFA. 

I'm pretty sure that what it means for Ayo to commit does not fit well with a player picking and choosing in the Arfield way, if the speculation is right. But of course for all those who see negative consequences for their club careers after the GC, we may go back to the old way in the end regardless. 

2 hours ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Unfortunately there’s pretty much no way it meant captain. 🧢 is very prominent slang and I know for a fact Junior is aware of that. At the very slightest chance it did mean captain, he would know that would create unnecessary drama.

it means he's lying ...

when you tell the truth ... the slang is "no cap" and "capping" refers to lying

4 hours ago, trc2014 said:

Knowing how much JH values the team culture of the squad, he will put a lot a weight on this view from one of his team leaders.

Crazy herdman made arfield captain. Things mustve really turned in the last year. 

personally, I never expected Arfield to be at the Gold Cup... its frankly a meaningless tournament IMO; in fact I have mixed feelings about Davies being there, with there being a new manager at Bayern and all, since long term is benefits Canada more than he remain a starter for his club. I won't write Airfield off unless he turns down a call up in September, when there will be no excuse, the games will all take place in North America within proper soccer facilities and good pitches (if he is worried about wear and tear). We are playing 3 game in roughly a week, we need to pragmatic in hoarding up as much quality depth as possible when the goal now is to quality to a World Cup.

Jr might be throwing shade. However, at the same time I know my buddies and I love to shit on each other in a loving way. Maybe this is just teammates jokingly trying to embarrass each other. Who knows..

I personally don't care if some of our 30+ age players need to pick and choose when to show up. Its understandable as you age. We use those times to give our younger guys experience anyway. We need to prep for Arfield retiring in the future regardless. We have decent depth for the first time ever, what a great thing eh!

Btw, anyone hear news of Hoilett finding a new club yet?