Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

17 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Interesting.   Hopefully that finally kills the idea that he will be our saviour.  

This is good management from Herdman. Sends the message "get behind the Millers and Kennedys not pining after someone that chose another country." We have talent that deserves credit and focus.

Technically he is ineligible right now, until Nov 2022, so he isn't lying. Wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he isn't still on the Herdman email contact list.

If we are sat here this time next year with Tomori still not further capped then he might be a big bonus. Until then that is all it is. Now is about unity and getting everyone behind pushing those that want to wear the maple leaf further than we thought possible.

A newspaper in Kingston has published a Jamaica squad but I cant find anything official. 

https://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/sports/20210701/no-michail-antonio-reggae-boyz-gold-cup-squad

Bailey and Cordova-Reid among others are there.  No Antonio as per the headline.

Edit: Now official

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

40 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Leutwiler is a weird one. But I guess it gives Pantemis and Hasal a chance for MLS minutes. 

Pantemis in line to start for the Club de Foot with Diop out.  Not going to take Hasal and Crepeau both from Caps.  Leutwiler the only other keeper on 60 man.  I think they were planning on Pantemis until Diop got hurt.

I think we all knew Tomori was a goner but just didn’t all accept it.

ZBG, Guti and Baldi all got screwed to me IMO. Maybe something behind the scenes or transfer interest ? Pasher deserved it. Not sure about Fraser but they like him.

Jebbison is close, it’s very clear. They couldn’t promise him minutes and with a new coach, a big year and a golden opportunity to play in the championship this is more important. He wants to be the starting striker and this could be a blessing in disguise, reality is it has to be earned, he hasn’t earned it yet, he will. 

I had said Flores made strides and was close at Arsenal, a loan next year may not be out of the question. I think we’re close there too but again it’s the lack of minutes/exposure that hurt him coming. 

we’re a point now where we can’t just cap for the sake of it, there’s depth and the guys have to earn it. 

5 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

I think we all knew Tomori was a goner but just didn’t all accept it.

ZBG, Guti and Baldi all got screwed to me IMO. Maybe something behind the scenes or transfer interest ? Pasher deserved it. Not sure about Fraser but they like him.

Jebbison is close, it’s very clear. They couldn’t promise him minutes and with a new coach, a big year and a golden opportunity to play in the championship this is more important. He wants to be the starting striker and this could be a blessing in disguise, reality is it has to be earned, he hasn’t earned it yet, he will. 

I had said Flores made strides and was close at Arsenal, a loan next year may not be out of the question. I think we’re close there too but again it’s the lack of minutes/exposure that hurt him coming. 

we’re a point now where we can’t just cap for the sake of it, there’s depth and the guys have to earn it. 

I understand the reasons for Jebbison and Flores. But then why is Corbeanu here? He has a new manager, needs first team minutes and will surely not be guaranteed minutes for Canada at this tournament. Just odd and especially if we play a 3-5-2.

Best things about us now:

1) Herdman has a headache trying to pick a squad for this because there is so much potential talent to choose from.

2) We will miss David, Arfield, Wotherspoon and Borjan.  Why?  Because they are all preparing for Champions League or Europa League qualifiers, not because they are trying to find clubs.

3) The Gold Cup is now a nice to have and not the only thing we have to look forward to.

5 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I understand the reasons for Jebbison and Flores. But then why is Corbeanu here? He has a new manager, needs first team minutes and will surely not be guaranteed minutes for Canada at this tournament. Just odd and especially if we play a 3-5-2.

They likely rate him as one of their best wingers and will use him. I’d also imagine a loan for Theo is coming or he has some assurances for his future. Jebbison was required to stay, Flores is likely to break into first team training this year. 

2 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

They likely rate him as one of their best wingers and will use him. I’d also imagine a loan for Theo is coming or he has some assurances for his future. Jebbison was required to stay, Flores is likely to break into first team training this year. 

But that's the issue here - we don't use wingers in a 3-5-2.

50 minutes ago, narduch said:

Herdman also squashed any Tomori talk.

He is not eligible 

If Tomori does not play for England again; he becomes eligible the week before the 2022 World Cup starts.  

But Herdman is correct that he’s not eligible.  Everyone knows the situation.  If he doesn’t feature and Canada makes it; he may switch back.

3 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

But that's the issue here - we don't use wingers in a 3-5-2.

Most likely he's a bench option in case we need a goal, but if we are married to the 3 backline, we can easily move to 3-4-3 with Hoilett working in the half-spaces.

22 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

I take back what I said about a 4-3-3 composition 23. I love the look of a 3-5-2

Hoilett could also play at 10 instead of where I listed him as a Striker super sub.

And obviously Henry (or any of the natural CBs for that matter) can future at the Center of a back 3

8FF6A105-74FF-4646-8B2D-BBE31E05B818.jpeg

That is about exactly how the depth chart and formation sorts out.  We are missing some star power but overall a solid lineup.

Would have liked to see Akindele and Chapman. 

Excited to see Buchanan get some real minutes. He's looked better than Laryea this season and will push for that right wing back spot. 

Eustaquio and Kennedy will play big roles in September and need these games to gel with the team. 

This may be a big step for Crepeau, similar to Borjan at Gold Cup 2011. 

32 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

This is probably the best to be expected considering their omissions. The best sentence in that whole quote is Herdman saying that Jebbison is a Canadian kid at heart. That's something we were all hoping to hear but none of really knew how he felt about his national identity after his move to England at 14 or whatever. Now that we've heard that, and given the opportunity that is now right at his fingertips with Canada, I think we can all be very hopeful that he'll wear the red and white. Sounds like maybe if it wasn't for his preseason requirements, he might be here. Flores is not so assured given that he obviously feels connected to Mexico as well. He has a very difficult decision on his hands, as it seems both Canada and Mexico are excellent opportunities for him. And who knows, maybe he even has England in the back of his mind as well. It sounds like we're definitely in the running though so I'm hopeful, but it will take a masterclass from Herdman to get him to come over. But if anyone can convince him, it is Herdman. Cautiously optimistic with Flores. Jebbison, I think it's safe to say we have a very good chance of getting him.

10 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

If Tomori does not play for England again; he becomes eligible the week before the 2022 World Cup starts.  

But Herdman is correct that he’s not eligible.  Everyone knows the situation.  If he doesn’t feature and Canada makes it; he may switch back.

Read the Wheeler tweet, he was 22 when he got his first cap for England. He’s not eligible and never will be unless there’s another FIFA rule change. 

1 hour ago, BrennanFan said:

Forwards: Cav, Ayo, Larin

Wingers: Davies, Hoilett, Buchanan, Pasher, Corbeanu

Mids: Oso, Kaye, Piette, Eustaquio, Patton, Fraser 

Fullbacks: Laryea, Johnston 

Centrebacks: Henry, Miller, Kennedy, Vitoria 

Keepers: Crepeau, Leutwilier, St. Clair 

Let’s take this as an opportunity to move Larin to the “wing”. This is where he plays his best football, not as a target man. Now that we have Ayo, you have two options (with Cav) that are good centrally.

Even without David this group at forward is deep. I am tying myself in knots thinking about what to do. 

Davies—Cav—Tajon 

Davies-Cav-Larin 

Larin—Cav-Tajon

Larin-Cav-Pasher

Davies—Ayo—Pasher 

Davies —Ayo—Corbeanu 

or 

———Cav————

——-Larin————-

Davies——Osorio——Tajon 

🧐

Edited by ag futbol

13 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Read the Wheeler tweet, he was 22 when he got his first cap for England. He’s not eligible and never will be unless there’s another FIFA rule change. 

The FIFA amendment on age 21 only applies to games after September 2020.  Kristian Jack was talking about it on one of the broadcasts a few weeks ago.

If Tomori never features again for England he will become eligible for Canada again right before the World Cup.  There was this little crack in the universe that he falls through apparently.

Edited by baulderdash77

5 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

The FIFA amendment on age 21 only applies to games after September 2020.  Kristian Jack was talking about it on one of the broadcasts a few weeks ago.

If Tomori never features again for England he will become eligible for Canada again right before the World Cup.  There was this little crack in the universe that he falls through apparently.

Yes - they cleared El Munir to switch from Spain to Morocco with the same logic. Tomori will be able to switch in November 2022 if he doesn’t play another match for England