Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

9 minutes ago, red card said:

It is a good looking stadium but aren't the gridiron lines stitched in? So, who would pay for grass to be laid over it would need to be considered.

You could be right.  I feel like that's a solvable solution.  I've been to all of the stadiums mentioned except Ottawa and BMO in Toronto.  The track at commonwealth makes viewing less than ideal, although it holds a lot of people.  I just really enjoy the viewing at Mosaic.  IG in Winnipeg is good too.

1 hour ago, prairiecanuck said:

How about the newest stadium in Canada with the best sight lines and best facilities for players.  New Mosaic Stadium in Regina.  Can we add that into the rotation too!

A 7th venue well that could work 

1 hour ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

I like what you're thinking, but that's too much turf and too many cfl stadiums to use at once. I'd do something like:

BMO

Saputo

Swangard ('07 u20 WC setup)

IG Field or Mosaic (with temporary grass field put in)

And a couple CPL parks with grass pitches.

You play the Canada, US, Mexico games at BMO, Saputo, and IG/Mosaic, and use the smaller stadiums for the lower-draw matches.

I can deal with that especially for a Gold Cup in Canada 

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Didn't the Cuban government conduct ultra sonic warfare against staff at the US and Canadian embassies a few years ago. This caused dozens of staffers to become extremely sick. Who are they to call out anyone at those embassies 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47154987

At the risk of starting another thread titled Conspiracy Theories, this problem has also occurred at the US consulate in southern China:

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2018/jun/07/sonic-attack-fears-as-more-us-diplomats-fall-ill-in-china

And may or may not have a link to a neurotoxin that was sprayed to kill the mosquitos spreading the Zika virus:

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5288609

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

Thinking about potentially making my way to a knockout round game, if Canada makes it through.  Does anyone have clarity on travel rules from Canada?  I’m still seeing a 10 day quarantine requirement when arriving in the US, which clearly wouldn’t work for this kind of short trip.  Thanks.

40 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

At the risk of starting another thread titled Conspiracy Theories, this problem has also occurred at the US consulate in southern China:

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2018/jun/07/sonic-attack-fears-as-more-us-diplomats-fall-ill-in-china

And may or may not have a link to a neurotoxin that was sprayed to kill the mosquitos spreading the Zika virus:

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5288609

Either way.. the point is the US embassy has only recently re opened in Cuba and with minimal staff. So with covid and everything else going on im sure their last priority was helping more soccer players flee communism. They directed them to Guatemala and Cuba crapped the bed. 

And for the record almost every diplomat claimed to have been woken up in the middle of the night by a mysterious loud screeching sound before becoming sick. So don't believe the hype

18 minutes ago, narduch said:

The final 3 spots in the Gold Cup are being decided today. One Soccer is showing all of them.

We find out if Haiti or Bermuda will join our Group.

image.png.85f7aed109ed6262e23240464f8d8d38.png

I hope Bermuda beats Haiti today but Haiti obviously will beat Bermuda.

16 minutes ago, narduch said:

The final 3 spots in the Gold Cup are being decided today. One Soccer is showing all of them.

We find out if Haiti or Bermuda will join our Group.

image.png.85f7aed109ed6262e23240464f8d8d38.png

I’m kind of rooting for Bermuda here. I don’t want to play Haiti again in the group - beating a team 3 times in one month can’t be easy.

Bermuda should beat Haiti. Wells is looks great and on a mission. Again I shake my head at these Caribbean teams, Bermuda has a few really good talent young players including one kid super star playing in Europe, Davies was called up at 16. I don’t get why they can’t recruit or call up these kids. Have a mix of young and experience and with Wells leading them. 

2 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Bermuda should beat Haiti. Wells is looks great and on a mission. Again I shake my head at these Caribbean teams, Bermuda has a few really good talent young players including one kid super star playing in Europe, Davies was called up at 16. I don’t get why they can’t recruit or call up these kids. Have a mix of young and experience and with Wells leading them. 

Yeah but Haiti is also a strong team despite not making Octagonal 

43 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

The same reason we couldn't call up Hoilett or JDG2 at 17/18.. the same reason we can't lock in Jebbison, Dias or Flores now. These players aren't going to settle for Bermuda until they know it's their only option.

1 minute ago, Alex said:

Just throwing this out there, looking at the USA roster does anybody agree with the possibility of them not getting out of the group stage. I don’t think it will happen but it’s more possible than any other year. 

I was thinking that today but then I had the ugly thought that we might be in that boat as well. Haiti is going to be extremely motivated (if they make it) .. we'll need to play better than we did in June against them.

6 minutes ago, Alex said:

Just throwing this out there, looking at the USA roster does anybody agree with the possibility of them not getting out of the group stage. I don’t think it will happen but it’s more possible than any other year. 

I've had this thought. Unlikely, but not inconceivable they lose to Haiti (if that's who qualifies). 

The same is true of us for that matter.

2 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I was thinking that today but then I had the ugly thought that we might be in that boat as well. Haiti is going to be extremely motivated (if they make it) .. we'll need to play better than we did in June against them.

If the players play to their potential Canada will beat Haiti by even more than what they beat them in June . Of course anything can happen but Canada is the much better team .

28 minutes ago, grigorio said:

Last time I was bullish about putting the US in their place based on a kind of scrappy MLS roster they shot the lights out  with some very improbable/skilled goals and won 4-1 so no, I'm not overlooking them. 

This is true. We were at full strength and they definitely were not. I remember they had Steffan, Sergino Dest, McKennie, and John Brooks in the starting 11 on that occasion, 4 players who won't be involved this time. On the other hand, they also had Lleget, Yuiell, Arriola and Zardes, 4 players who will be involved. 

The other thing about that game is that it was 3 early quick goals. Chalk it down to good finishing or bad defending or simply good/bad luck on some of the plays, but when you go down by multiple goals that early it's hard to get the momentum back.

Of course, the same thing can happen in a few weeks, but those moments in soccer are more rare than common.

Edited by Obinna