Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

Mexico against Nigeria in a pre-tournament friendly tonight.  

http://www.hesgoal.com/news/82500/Mexico_vs_Nigeria.html

Surreal scene before kickoff.  Hector Herrera was handed the microphone in the middle of the pitch and made a brief speech begging the fans not to yell puto.

Really slow start from Mexico. They've only managed to score 2 goals in the first 3 minutes of the game.  Unacceptable.

Edited by CanadianSoccerFan

9 hours ago, narduch said:

Perhaps it's time to stop having the Gold Cup in the US.

That is why it is better for Gold Cups going forward if they are hosted in other countries and I would start that trend if not for 2023, then by 2025

Starting with it being hosted in Canada as a sole host

Canada hosts the Gold Cup in 6 venues and my venues for a future Gold Cup in Canada would be:

1- Toronto (BMO Field)

2- Vancouver (BC Place)

3- Montreal (Olympic Stadium)

4- Edmonton (Commonwealth Stadium)

5- Ottawa (TD Place)

6- Winnipeg (IG Field)

4 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Canada should definitely host a gold cup !!! I honestly think it would do well too. 

Difficult to see this in 2023. If the pandemic really dies down, hosting matches in Vancouver ( which sadly won't host a WC match in 2026 ) would make for a great venue in 2025.

It would also be easy to fill Saputo if you put Haiti and Canada in the same group again.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Difficult to see this in 2023. If the pandemic really dies down, hosting matches in Vancouver ( which sadly won't host a WC match in 2026 ) would make for a great venue in 2025.

It would also be easy to fill Saputo if you put Haiti and Canada in the same group again.

Like I said by 2025, it would be perfect for Canada to host

13 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Mexico against Nigeria in a pre-tournament friendly tonight.  

http://www.hesgoal.com/news/82500/Mexico_vs_Nigeria.html

Surreal scene before kickoff.  Hector Herrera was handed the microphone in the middle of the pitch and made a brief speech begging the fans not to yell puto.

Really slow start from Mexico. They've only managed to score 2 goals in the first 3 minutes of the game.  Unacceptable.

They did this for the two most previous matches also. For the Olympic team match vs Panama, it was Ochoa. They also had a taped segment that aired last night. But they have stopped short of condemning it outright as "respect" is their messaging.

Mexico ended up winning 4-0. Newly minted dual national Funes Mori from Argentina scored his first goal. He's being touted as Jimenez's replacement since Tata will not be calling Chicharito unless he apologizes for past transgressions. 

Nigeria came with nearly all domestic league players. One exception was CFM's Sunusi Ibrahim who ended up in the starting 11. Nice payday for SUM/FMF as 53k showed up at the LA Coliseum. 

Edited by red card

10 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

That is why it is better for Gold Cups going forward if they are hosted in other countries and I would start that trend if not for 2023, then by 2025

Canada hosts the Gold Cup in 6 venues and my venues for a future Gold Cup in Canada would be:

1- Toronto (BMO Field)

2- Vancouver (BC Place)

5- Ottawa (TD Place)

6- Winnipeg (IG Field)

How about the newest stadium in Canada with the best sight lines and best facilities for players.  New Mosaic Stadium in Regina.  Can we add that into the rotation too!

10 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

1- Toronto (BMO Field)

2- Vancouver (BC Place)

5- Ottawa (TD Place)

6- Winnipeg (IG Field)

I like what you're thinking, but that's too much turf and too many cfl stadiums to use at once. I'd do something like:

BMO

Saputo

Swangard ('07 u20 WC setup)

IG Field or Mosaic (with temporary grass field put in)

And a couple CPL parks with grass pitches.

You play the Canada, US, Mexico games at BMO, Saputo, and IG/Mosaic, and use the smaller stadiums for the lower-draw matches.

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Good on them to call out the U.S. and CONCACAF.

The Spanish language tabloids were saying that they were waiting on visas for only 4 of the players. Given the number of defections in the past, it's a sad and ridiculous situation all around.

Didn't the Cuban government conduct ultra sonic warfare against staff at the US and Canadian embassies a few years ago. This caused dozens of staffers to become extremely sick. Who are they to call out anyone at those embassies 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47154987

Edited by SpursFlu

23 minutes ago, prairiecanuck said:

How about the newest stadium in Canada with the best sight lines and best facilities for players.  New Mosaic Stadium in Regina.  Can we add that into the rotation too!

It is a good looking stadium but aren't the gridiron lines stitched in? So, who would pay for grass to be laid over it would need to be considered.