Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

2 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Thought I’d share this tweet… Junior Hoilett verified Twitter account in response to Wheelers tweet regarding Arfield being in consideration until picking up a knock..

For anyone who doesn’t know, 🧢 or “cap” is slang for saying someone is lying . Pretty crazy response from a veteran player.

I'm starting to care less and less about Arfield in a Canada shirt. If he wants to play, cool, if not, oh well. We have a pretty good midfield and while he does improve it, it's not like it's a glaring hole without him. If he is lying then so be it, if Hoilett is wrong, then so be it also I guess. Who knows what's going on inside the team. Hopefully this doesn't turn into some big drama thing when it really doesn't need to. I would rather play players who 100% want to be there and it seems like Arfield isn't that anymore.

11 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Thought I’d share this tweet… Junior Hoilett verified Twitter account in response to Wheelers tweet regarding Arfield being in consideration until picking up a knock..

For anyone who doesn’t know, 🧢 or “cap” is slang for saying someone is lying . Pretty crazy response from a veteran player.

Yikes. I do think him picking up a "niggle" is BS though. 

8 minutes ago, frmr said:

I'm starting to care less and less about Arfield in a Canada shirt. If he wants to play, cool, if not, oh well. We have a pretty good midfield and while he does improve it, it's not like it's a glaring hole without him. If he is lying then so be it, if Hoilett is wrong, then so be it also I guess. Who knows what's going on inside the team. Hopefully this doesn't turn into some big drama thing when it really doesn't need to. I would rather play players who 100% want to be there and it seems like Arfield isn't that anymore.

Agreed. It may be an unpopular opinion but.. I almost kind of like Junior calling him out like that. Of course, it’s never good to have internal drama. But there was a point in this programs history where fellow players would’ve laughed off/agreed with key players not wanting to accept call ups. Junior is in between clubs right now, and is still dedicating his off season to ensuring success for the nats. Players understand the capabilities of this squad and want everyone on board. The pride in this team has come a very long way. 

Are we all going into such minute detail over why Hutch isnt there??  At this point Hutch being superman, they are prob both at the same point in their careers, mb 1-2 years left.  Maybe they'll be there, maybe not eh??  Any of those 30+ guys...Vitoria, Borjan, even Hoilet... it doesnt surprise me that they might want to have an actually offseason to recouperate for their club....which actually provides for their family.  

16 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

When I first saw this tweet I immediately cynically felt this was just Arfield's agent playing Wheeler.

18 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Wow thought he was just meaning captain. That's pretty wild if the above. Wont be welcomed back in the squad if that is true and the feeling from one of our veteran leaders.

Seems a bit hypocritical considering how long Jnr. Held off playing for Canada. 

25 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Crazy response or honest?

Seems like he’s indirectly saying “cap - he’s not committed to the program anymore”. A really open response from one of our captains.

And if this is the vibe, Scott might not be popular guy in the dressing room right now. There’s a new culture/camaraderie in the squad with so many guys growing up/playing from the same area…maybe they know something we don’t, and aren’t cool with it.

Edited by Shway

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

Cav-Ak-Ak (which I know sounds a character from the Creature cantina from Star Wars trying to unclog his nose) as the three target strikers for this tourney,

If these are our front 3 they could be called the "CAA" line.😁

4 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Where did he pick up a niggle? Isn't Rangers still in off season or have they started training? 

Could be just individual training or a kick around. Akinola picked up a knock playing pick up in Toronto, didn't he?

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

Precisely - the 21 year age distinction is irrelevant as the rule came into effect after they played that potentially cap-tying match. This was explicitly part of FIFA’s logic 

Before the new rule U21 matches played at age 21 and older didn't have the potential to cap-tie. Now they do. That's why the Munir exemption was made.

Tomori was cap-tied to England as per the the old rules and the new, therefore no exemption will be made.

1 hour ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

I'm wondering if he is calling cap on Wheeler or on Arfield. Or both maybe. It's a wild response either way like you said 

I know we are all just playing the speculation game, but between Hoilett possibly suggesting Arfield "picking up a niggle" is the lie (from Arfield), and Wotherspoon saying in his interview with Galindo he couldn't get a read on Arfield's commitment level whenever they crossed paths in Scotland, it really paints the picture that Arfield is just making excuses for not coming, possibly to keep himself available in case we make the World Cup. 

Of course though, all of this could be meaningless, Junior's comment could of just meant captain.

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

I know we are all just playing the speculation game, but between Hoilett possibly suggesting Arfield "picking up a niggle" is the lie (from Arfield), and Wotherspoon saying in his interview with Galindo he couldn't get a read on Arfield's commitment level whenever they crossed paths in Scotland, it really paints the picture that Arfield is just making excuses for not coming, possibly to keep himself available in case we make the World Cup. 

Of course though, all of this could be meaningless, Junior's comment could of just meant captain.

Unfortunately there’s pretty much no way it meant captain. 🧢 is very prominent slang and I know for a fact Junior is aware of that. At the very slightest chance it did mean captain, he would know that would create unnecessary drama.

If it's true, I like this move by Hoilett to be honest. It seems like there's a new sense of responsibility and being held accountable in the Canada squad which is exactly what we need. Playing for Canada is no joke anymore and there is a new level of dedication that is being set. If anyone isn't meeting those requirements then it's their loss. I like when people call it like it is too, even if it's uncomfortable. No bullshit in this team. The change of attitude is palpable.

4 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Unfortunately there’s pretty much no way it meant captain. 🧢 is very prominent slang and I know for a fact Junior is aware of that. At the very slightest chance it did mean captain, he would know that would create unnecessary drama.

Knowing how much JH values the team culture of the squad, he will put a lot a weight on this view from one of his team leaders.

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

Seems a bit hypocritical considering how long Jnr. Held off playing for Canada. 

Only a bit?  All we need is for Vitoria to retweet Hoillet's reply.  

If the shade was thrown by Hutch maybe that would be a little different story but in general I don't find stuff like this shows "leadership."

1 minute ago, BearcatSA said:

Only a bit?  All we need is for Vitoria to retweet Hoillet's reply.  

If the shade was thrown by Hutch maybe that would be a little different story but in general I don't find stuff like this shows "leadership."

Arfield and Hoilett's situations are not really comparable. Hoilett was holding out for another opportunity, fair enough. It's not like Arfield committed to Canada as soon as his career started either. The difference is that Hoilett has answered the call every time (?) since he made that decision. If Arfield is making up reasons not to show up then he's obviously not committed. Hoilett has shown that he is.