Herdman new head coach

matty

1 hour ago, SpecialK said:

Well answer and Question with a question. Why hasn’t the CSA book any friendlies vs top 15 teams ? You can’t say money because FIFA was handing out money left, right and centre, so must be the talent problem ? Well we have superstars now and solid players. Ok Covid problems well... other CONCACAF teams went and played so it’s BS. 

Herdman’s first game was vs B/C New Zealand ( they didn’t have there star players) team with Zero fans in Spain and very little coverage. 

Each time Herdman has played a top team he’s lost ( he did win vs US once) and he has looked really bad, like he got out managed, we and media started to go after him for it. Reed Fired Oz not because of performance and I find the money thing BS. They fired him because they were going to lose Herdman to england. Reed and Herdman are close. It’s well documented. Also Herdman has now FULL control over the women’s and men’s game. The Bev hiring showed everything. 

Because the CSA has put everything on Herdman and has given him the kingdom if he fails the CSA looks horrible and fails. 

its better for the CSA to look good and pumped out oh winning 7 in a row and Davies and David scoring at will and dominating games 11-0. The Arfield situation says a lot. He was tired of playing minnows and pissed about getting hurt in the Caribbean. The CSA has zero intention of playing top teams. 

I honestly can’t be bothered to read through an entire post of yours any more because it’s literally the exact same thing posted over and over but to your question about scheduling friendlies, it has been pointed out to you numerous times that the financial situation of the CSA greatly limits their ability to do anything beyond what they’re already doing. You’ve been directed to the FS and have been shown expenditures but continue to ignore the reality.

4 hours ago, narduch said:

I love Osiek but that 2-0 home defeat to T+T in WCQ still sticks in my mind like 8-1 Honduras.

I really only started to follow the MNT in 1999. The Gold Cup win was amazing. And the WCQ campaign was a major let down.

Holger will be my favourite coach, and our most successful since Waiters, but he is such a great example of how the difference between success and failure can ride on circumstances and a few lucky goals.

Without that coin toss would we think differently of his time in charge?

Edited by The Real Marc

Here is another way of looking at it, Holger had success, but didnt a lot of the players dislike him? I dont remember much happy feely talk...different coach, different style.  What matters is what the players do, not what they say to reporters for some fluff piece.  Some guys respond to the carrot...others get the stick!! 

Beating Mexico and Columbia have to be 2 of the biggest wins for all time for canada.  I was young enough to remember 86 and thought after 2000 this kind of stuff would be fairly common for canada...ugghhh!!  

1 hour ago, Atlantic said:

We’re ranked 70th in the world I’m not sure why top 15 teams would want to play us. Obviously Mexico is different since we play them in CONCACAF

We almost played Japan last year too. I'd be totally fine with that level of opponent, providing we don't get their b team every single time.

23 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Here is another way of looking at it, Holger had success, but didnt a lot of the players dislike him? I dont remember much happy feely talk...different coach, different style.  What matters is what the players do, not what they say to reporters for some fluff piece.  Some guys respond to the carrot...others get the stick!! 

Beating Mexico and Columbia have to be 2 of the biggest wins for all time for canada.  I was young enough to remember 86 and thought after 2000 this kind of stuff would be fairly common for canada...ugghhh!!  

I heard Marcelo Bielsa was a total prick as a natioanl team coach with some players during his time.  He was too authoritstive, disciplinary, strict (Remind you of anyone) but he got results on the field the FA kept sticking with him.  Coaches aren’t here to be your buddies or make your feel goodc they’re here to get results and qualify to the World Cup by whatever means.  Just remember that Canada’s 2000 team and player selection was in worst shape than what Herdman had.  We had Carlo Corazzon in Serie C, Brennan and Fendwick?? In the lower SPL teams, Jason DeVos at Dundee United and Tony Menezes in the Brasilian 2nd Div and Marty Nash a USL player.  The only “star” player on that 2000 team was Craig Forrest playing in the EPL.

Compared that team to nowadays, where we have more players playing in top teams in Europe and MLS, we have made great strides and Herdman was given the keys to a Corvette (He can’t fuck this up) while Holger was making due with a Ford Taurus.  Holger got more outta his players than Herdman did and won the Gold Cup with a counter style that suited Canada at that time.  Nowadays we do play more offensive, but get caught defensively more too.  I believe playing a counter attack style would suit Canada better long term than trying to be fancy with footwork.  Its not in Canada’s DNA to be technical, dribbling and take on a player one vs one yet.

Edited by nolbertos

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

I also think it is officially wrong at this point.  We can now field a team with all of Davies, Laryea, Buchanan and Corbeanu on the pitch.  All of those guys have shown a willingness to go directly at opponents with the ball at their feet. 

+ Hoilett, Millar.. basically any Canadian attacker.

It's an awful take. Our players are among the best dribblers in the region and their respective leagues. Davies is one of the best dribblers in world football. 

Let’s just Hope Herdman can take us to the promise land World Cup 2022. He’s got all the tools and material, time for him to build us a Mansion! 

Davies and David are world class and I pray we can see them and Hutch at the World Cup!!!! We need do this for Hutchinson!!!!! That man deserves it!!!

time to destroy Haiti ! Let Go boys!!! Give them hell

5 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Well answer and Question with a question. Why hasn’t the CSA book any friendlies vs top 15 teams ? You can’t say money because FIFA was handing out money left, right and centre, so must be the talent problem ? Well we have superstars now and solid players. Ok Covid problems well... other CONCACAF teams went and played so it’s BS. 

Herdman’s first game was vs B/C New Zealand ( they didn’t have there star players) team with Zero fans in Spain and very little coverage. 

Each time Herdman has played a top team he’s lost ( he did win vs US once) and he has looked really bad, like he got out managed, we and media started to go after him for it. Reed Fired Oz not because of performance and I find the money thing BS. They fired him because they were going to lose Herdman to england. Reed and Herdman are close. It’s well documented. Also Herdman has now FULL control over the women’s and men’s game. The Bev hiring showed everything. 

Because the CSA has put everything on Herdman and has given him the kingdom if he fails the CSA looks horrible and fails. 

its better for the CSA to look good and pumped out oh winning 7 in a row and Davies and David scoring at will and dominating games 11-0. The Arfield situation says a lot. He was tired of playing minnows and pissed about getting hurt in the Caribbean. The CSA has zero intention of playing top teams. 

I understand the frustration with the CSA, believe me, I do, I feel it too. 

Forgive the wording, but are you paying attention?  Do you understand what is happening here right now?  We'll be playing these top teams you mention in the next round.  We're there, we've arrived.  I don't know you too well, but it kinda sounds like you're complaining today, because you realize it's the last chance to make these complaints.  Get onboard, we're going to the ocho!  The plan is coming together, it was baby steps, but we're there.  Canada needed this slow build up.  

11 minutes ago, costarg said:

I understand the frustration with the CSA, believe me, I do, I feel it too. 

Forgive the wording, but are you paying attention?  Do you understand what is happening here right now?  We'll be playing these top teams you mention in the next round.  We're there, we've arrived.  I don't know you too well, but it kinda sounds like you're complaining today, because you realize it's the last chance to make these complaints.  Get onboard, we're going to the ocho!  The plan is coming together, it was baby steps, but we're there.  Canada needed this slow build up.  

We are playing Mexico and the United States not by choice? It’s not because the CSA is saying hey let’s go play Mexico let’s go play the United States. We have to play them because CONCACAF says we do.  It’s the same with nations league. CONCACAF put that together why because countries like us and  in the Caribbean didn’t organize Friendlies. Yes we played more than most Caribbean teams for the record. 

What does it mean that I am not nearly as nervous about tonight's match as I was for the last two? Specifically, does my lack of anxiety mean we are going to poop the bed? That we will get CONCACAFfed by the officials or the hand of Zeus or some other act of nature? Should I dust off the ol' rosary beads, sacrifice the neighbor's cat, shave my head and repent my football sins in the streets?

Or should I trust in the Sizzle--and mostly our lads on the pitch--to bring us to the Holy Ocho?

Allez les Rouges!

3 hours ago, costarg said:

We're there, we've arrived.

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Or at least we will be in a few hours, sitting safely in the Ocho!!!

25 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

The Sizzle and the boys will deliver.

Dammit, I was doing well until I read these. Now I'm getting nervous!