Herdman new head coach

matty

Might be completely out to lunch here (or at least decades late) but I felt after today that Herdmans Canada seems to encapsulate a very traditional European style. A well drilled and organized, methodical, posession based team opposed to so many other concacaf nations that rely predominantly on pace and power or skill (maybe that is beyond an over generalization/lazy assessment). However our players, especially offensive increasingly also have that pace and skill which has often been missing in previous years?

Maybe canada has always just been a bit more pragmatic and I am only really thinking about it now but I feel like we are starting to get the better parts of the traditional European teams with the better part of the concacaf teams which over time should make us both a bit more adaptable and resilient but also a different animal and hard to play against.

I would consider what KJ said an overload the midfield against Mexico with either a diamond or box. If Diamond, play Osorio up top Kaye and Eustaquio behind and Piette behind those two. Put hoilett up front on his own with Buchanan and Laryea on the wings.  I think we could dominate the midfield with that and look to hit them on the counter with our speed on the flanks. Piette protects the back line and both Eustaquio and Kaye can play the ball forward well including to the flanks.  

That way you keep Akidele and Corbeanu to come on as impact subs against tired legs; (or for extra time) and you have Fraser (and Payton) in reserve if one of the 4 starting midfield tires.  I would bring in Guti as if something happens to either Laryea or Buchanan, you have him in reserve who can do a job. 

I may also consider calling in Waterman to replace Akinola/Larin to give us cover at the back. 

He has done a very good job so far with some quality wins and a quality loss if there is such a thing, he is well surrounded by able assistants, the tactics seem to be well thought out and executed and of course his recruiting has been excellent! I didn't like the way the hiring process went down but at this point that isn't something I think many of us even care about as long as the success continues, he has certainly shown tactical awareness which I was sceptical of, just like players coaches can improve and I have to say we are in good hands presently!

In nice stadiums with no fans, any game not against the US or Mexico is a practice match.

In the Octo - Assuming we take at best three points from our four games with Mexico and the US then the real test is away results - Panama, Honduras, El Salvador, Jamaica. None of those easy places to play

Edited by The Real Marc

6 hours ago, An Observer said:

I would consider what KJ said an overload the midfield against Mexico with either a diamond or box. If Diamond, play Osorio up top Kaye and Eustaquio behind and Piette behind those two. Put hoilett up front on his own with Buchanan and Laryea on the wings.  I think we could dominate the midfield with that and look to hit them on the counter with our speed on the flanks. Piette protects the back line and both Eustaquio and Kaye can play the ball forward well including to the flanks.  

That way you keep Akidele and Corbeanu to come on as impact subs against tired legs; (or for extra time) and you have Fraser (and Payton) in reserve if one of the 4 starting midfield tires.  I would bring in Guti as if something happens to either Laryea or Buchanan, you have him in reserve who can do a job. 

I may also consider calling in Waterman to replace Akinola/Larin to give us cover at the back. 

Waterman would get burned really bad vs Mexico.  There is no way Herdman calls him.  Unfortunately he's played very little in the past year +, and when he does the rust or just lack of skill really shows.  

It's gotten to the point where I actually fear other associations looking at this and swooping in to steal Herdman.  He's really built something special here.  We saw it with the women's team, and he's done it with the men as well.  Players love him and he gets the most out of them, adapts his strategies/formations, great recruiting, solid results, fun to watch.....

No one can say this is all thanks to Davies.  Yes we have a better roster, but loads of teams play shit with massive talent.  He pulls it all together.  

Just now, costarg said:

It's gotten to the point where I actually fear other associations looking at this and swooping in to steal Herdman.  He's really built something special here.  We saw it with the women's team, and he's done it with the men as well.  Players love him and he gets the most out of them, adapts his strategies/formations, great recruiting, solid results, fun to watch.....

No one can say this is all thanks to Davies.  Yes we have a better roster, but loads of teams play shit with massive talent.  He pulls it all together.  

I think that is pretty fair.  Yes, he inherited the most talented team we have ever had.  But he is also clearly influencing the way we play and the mentality of the group.  And where there have been mistakes and mis-steps it seems like the lesson gets learned and. It repeated.    

Collapse against Haiti was a lesson and last night it was clear that we were never going to let them back into the game.  People were working tirelessly right until the final whistle.  

The quick goal from the US?   Look at how we adjusted and came out guns blazing last night (and that wasn’t just down to winning the coin toss).  

As much as my first impression wasn’t one of staggering humility, it really seems like he is willing to do whatever is required to be successful.  He has assembled a large group of advisors, is clearly willing to accept input, and has built a team both on and off the field.  Everyone is moving in the same direction.  

Still lots to come, but at this point I think he is on track and doing exactly what we would hope.  

1 hour ago, gator said:

He has done a very good job so far with some quality wins and a quality loss if there is such a thing, he is well surrounded by able assistants, the tactics seem to be well thought out and executed and of course his recruiting has been excellent! I didn't like the way the hiring process went down but at this point that isn't something I think many of us even care about as long as the success continues, he has certainly shown tactical awareness which I was sceptical of, just like players coaches can improve and I have to say we are in good hands presently!

He's slowly winning me over too, in fits and starts. The player selection is fairly good, position on the pitch. I think he does not adjust as best he could to game circumstances (yesterday, after the goal, we had to keep possession and move it around a bit, let them chase us a bit more--and he did not correct this, exposing us to more open play. What is the point of being aggressive to retrieve the ball if you are going to squander it so quickly?). The way the Tico changes were going yesterday we probably should have made the first subs a bit quicker, but then our 2nd made that a moot point. He was slightly behind in subs most of the match, you could see Kaye fading notably before he was removed.

One thing interesting was when Junior was injured, went to the sideline, and then in a moment Herdman can be heard shouting, I think to Junior but maybe to the subs to follow "You've got to be ready now" or something like that. He did not want Junior dawdling on the sideline for any longer than needed. That entire "injury" sequence seemed to be set up to prepare our subs, or could have been. Junior is probably our wiliest player.

I also agree that his hiring of a diversity of assistants, and his apparent willingness to hear them out in the middle of a game, is a good thing. I like managers who discuss the match during. Some just need someone to sound off of. Others may really get insight. This team effort on the bench is a good thing, especially since he does not look to have hired buddies, it is a mixed bunch and they seem to be complementary. 

7 hours ago, An Observer said:

With Vitoria suspended we wouldn't be able to do this unless we started Sturing or Gutierrez as it would force us to switch to a back 4.

I've always liked Herdman (ok fine, I probably said something contrary in this thread and I'm too lazy to check). And this comment isn't a slight, but please someone play ball with this conspiracy theory that I tried to drop in the match thread:

Go back to 2019. We did not counterpress. We did not play the midfield box. We did not play 3-5-2, we did nothing continental or modern.

Some kid shows up on the sidelines with no announcement or fan fare. Yet he's constantly speaking with Herdman and all the players and he's always the first for Herdman to embrace.

Read the blurb:

https://www.hotspurs-soccer.com/world-class-coach-spends-motivational-weekend-with-hotspurs-coaches/

Is this A License drivel that anyone who ever heard Klopp speak would easily repeat. If so, why doesn't UEFA Pro License holder Jim Brennan ever look like he knows what he's doing?

Regardless of who is pulling the strings tactically, I think many of us felt in our hearts that a well coached Canada could compete for the top 3 or 4 in CONCACAF. I don't want to take anything away from the players who got this done, but amazing to be able to outclass an experienced coach on the blackboard. We'll see what they come up with for Tata, cause he's world class.

When you see a performance that complete, that dominant, you gotta ask how?

Burnie Burns Conspiracy GIF by Rooster Teeth

1 hour ago, costarg said:

John is on a mission here. He's fully in and so are the players. If he takes us to the WC he knows that will be a massive statement for Canada and for his CV. Dont think he's going anywhere just yet. He seems to be really enjoying his time as CMNT head coach and proving many of us wrong!

21 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

It certainly looks like Eric Tenllado has leap frogged Biello as a key assistant coach 

I believe he coached at the Espanyol academy before. I had him as a development coach at Toronto High Park kind of surreal to see him have a growing role with the national team.

1 hour ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I've always liked Herdman (ok fine, I probably said something contrary in this thread and I'm too lazy to check). And this comment isn't a slight, but please someone play ball with this conspiracy theory that I tried to drop in the match thread:

Go back to 2019. We did not counterpress. We did not play the midfield box. We did not play 3-5-2, we did nothing continental or modern.

Some kid shows up on the sidelines with no announcement or fan fare. Yet he's constantly speaking with Herdman and all the players and he's always the first for Herdman to embrace.

Read the blurb:

https://www.hotspurs-soccer.com/world-class-coach-spends-motivational-weekend-with-hotspurs-coaches/

Is this A License drivel that anyone who ever heard Klopp speak would easily repeat. If so, why doesn't UEFA Pro License holder Jim Brennan ever look like he knows what he's doing?

Regardless of who is pulling the strings tactically, I think many of us felt in our hearts that a well coached Canada could compete for the top 3 or 4 in CONCACAF. I don't want to take anything away from the players who got this done, but amazing to be able to outclass an experienced coach on the blackboard. We'll see what they come up with for Tata, cause he's world class.

When you see a performance that complete, that dominant, you gotta ask how?

Burnie Burns Conspiracy GIF by Rooster Teeth

Well, just spent some time looking at his Twitter. A minefield, bursting everywhere. Some rather dense stuff but also really interesting.

He's @tenllado7

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, Ruffian said:

Herdman is definitely listening to his coaching team. Right after the second goal you can see Herdman taking tactical advice.

Screenshot_20210726_104826.png

Saw this as well and was impressed. Seems like they got a solid group of assistants. 

42 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

I believe he coached at the Espanyol academy before. I had him as a development coach at Toronto High Park kind of surreal to see him have a growing role with the national team.

You mean you played/coach under him? Is he the mastermind behind last night, or does he just like to move his fingers around in ppl's faces?

24 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

You mean you played/coach under him? Is he the mastermind behind last night, or does he just like to move his fingers around in ppl's faces?

He wasn't the head coach we'd have practices where there'd be different stations each with its own drill focusing on shooting/passing/dribbling/overloads etc and he'd run one of the stations. His drills were always the most detailed and thought out so I wouldn't be surprised.

2 hours ago, Ruffian said:

Herdman is definitely listening to his coaching team. Right after the second goal you can see Herdman taking tactical advice.

Screenshot_20210726_104826.png

In Spain that's the classic double pivot of DMs in front of the CBs. 

But harder to do in a 3-4-3.

I'm being dead serious, it's a standard defensive move to defend a result and give coverage in front of the defence. But I know that this is obvious perhaps, just find it odd so many here think it's hieroglyphics. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Just loving Herdman. I mean I've always been a fan of his. I mean considering what he did for our women's program taking us perhaps to our greatest heights there and then seeing what him and his team have done for our men's program; I just hope he can lead us to Qatar.

On 7/26/2021 at 9:39 AM, costarg said:

I hope he sticks around too but as a loosely translated Italian saying goes "money can make blind people see", meaning the right ($$$) offer comes along and ..............