Herdman new head coach

matty

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Priestman's Gold Moves Her to More Manly Challenges

Canadian Press, 6 August

John Herdman has been replaced. CSA announced today it will accept men's national soccer team's coach Herdman's resignation, in line with the best practices guidelines he has drafted for the organisation, and replace him with winning coach Bev Priestman, recent gold medallist with the women's national team. This is also in line with the CSA's rejection of all forms of sexism and discrimination.

"The point is to promote those doing the job right to the best posts available", CSA president Nick Bontis told the Canadian Press, "and, as John always insisted, do so regardless of their gender." Current team member Quinn has been appointed player-assistant coach.

CSA insiders in Thornhill have stated the men need a coach who can bring to the table an example of winning a decisive match, as Priestman has done with the women in the Olympics. "In this way we have chosen to move past John's insistence on holding up losses as examples in decisive matches", in reference to the much-lauded 2012 semi final in London. The CSA had to move quickly after sources revealed moves by the Toronto Maple Leafs to sign the British-born manager.

Men's national team insider Duane Rollins has argued that Priestman is being touted as the best person to take the men's team past Gold Cup knockout rounds. "The time of moral victories is over", Rollins tweeted, accompanied by a photo of Rangers midfield Scottie Arfield, fishing for minnows in loch near his Scotland home. "Her dressing room manner has been called impeccable", mused Arfield between niggles.

John Herdman has apparently agreed to terms. According to unnamed sources in Vancouver, Herdman, who recently moved to an unnamed Gulf Island, leaving his family in their False Creek coop, has been preparing to be out on the motivational speaking circuits as soon as Covid subsides.

rent free

• 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

So how about that tactical genius Herdman today huh, winning against…oops meant tieing Honduras at home.  2 points dropped for your goldenboy coach.  Can’t wait to see his ass packing soon.

Then don’t support the team, don’t watch the games and most importantly get the fuck off this forum you absolute fucking cabbage. Seriously, leave.

I wasn’t impressed today but he’s done a lot for the program. Let’s not burn him at the stake, just hope he makes better decisions down the road.

They outsmarted themselves today. We play best when we field a “normal” balanced 11. When we get too cocky and field these overboard lineups against competitive teams in CONCACAF we pay for it.

Edited by ag futbol

47 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

He was naive today. It happens. Let’s see how he learns from this. 

The issue is he can’t be Navie! He can’t be making mistakes like this during big games! He messed up! Again he can’t treat this team like the women’s team. He needs to learn that he needs to be a coach not the players buddy, raw raw BS. Things were not working and he didn’t make changes.

david and Larin didn’t work, what they were doing with  Richie was plain stupid. 
they needed some midfield link up with speed. They didn’t get it. They very predictable. Everyone in the world knew Canada was going to left through Davies. 
Also I noticed Caldwell gone and De Vos back in !  Jesus what a gong show.

Herdman needs a true pro assistant with some balls and has been there and done it. Not some amateurs. Or Herdman needs to go ! 

Edited by SpecialK

First game at home in front of fans in two years, Herdman wanted to throw red meat to the new (and old) fans to get them salivating. Throwing all our big guns on and annihilating Honduras would have been an amazing PR move and grabbed more attention. He shoveled too much coal into the hype train and it backfired. Question: Would he have picked that flashy lineup if Sportsnet didn't pick up the rights yesterday? I'm not sure. He learned his lesson, though. Songwriting over epic guitar soloing.

5 minutes ago, Lansdude said:

First game at home in front of fans in two years, Herdman wanted to throw red meat to the new (and old) fans to get them salivating. Throwing all our big guns on and annihilating Honduras would have been an amazing PR move and grabbed more attention. He shoveled too much coal into the hype train and it backfired. Question: Would he have picked that flashy lineup if Sportsnet didn't pick up the rights yesterday? I'm not sure. He learned his lesson, though. Songwriting over epic guitar soloing.

But that’s Issue …. His ego and Inexperience is gonna kill us! What happens if we miss the top 3 because of 2 points ! Now everyone (the general sports fan) is gonna be saying, this is the golden generation, Canada’s best and they can even beat Honduras! Or Canada shits the bed once again ! 

Edited by SpecialK

Just now, SpecialK said:

But that’s Issue …. His ego and inexperience is gonna kill us! What happens if miss the top 3 because of 2 points ! Now the everyone (the general sports fan) is gonna be saying, this is the golden generation, Canada’s best and they can even beat Honduras! Or Canada shits the bed once again ! 

We picked up a point and learned a lot about what not to do at this level. As long as he doesn't ignore those lessons I'm not too worried. I don't think he will ignore them.

Let's see what happens in the next couple of games, Herdman has to take a fair bit of the blame tonight on several fronts, as others have said he was naive! We needed another midfielder in the mix, not 3 wingbacks at once and my goodness, Kennedy hast to start over Miller, I don't think his game management was good tonight, he and the whole team need to do better or we could be on the outside looking in very quickly!

8 hours ago, SpecialK said:

But that’s Issue …. His ego and Inexperience is gonna kill us! What happens if we miss the top 3 because of 2 points ! Now everyone (the general sports fan) is gonna be saying, this is the golden generation, Canada’s best and they can even beat Honduras! Or Canada shits the bed once again ! 

Nothing we haven’t heard before. Generations are golden in comparison to those previous, not against some mythical standard.

I was disappointed he didn't get Kaye or Osorio (or maybe even Piette) on there in place of Buchanan or Laryea. But I was surprised to see after the game that we had 66% possession, so now I'm less sure I understand what the problem exactly was last night.

I'm feeling pretty down about the result. But I also always new that this should be a wide open competition. I figured you had USA and Mexico at the top, then basically a tie for 3rd best between 5 teams, then El Salvador firmly at the bottom. That was before the Gold Cup. Since then it's seemed more like a 6-way tie for 3rd, and the standings after matchday 1 reflect that. 1 game won/lost, and the other 3 all tied. Yes it hurts a lot because we were at home, but I still hate these hair trigger reactions each time there is a game that doesn't go great.

3 minutes ago, Kent said:

I was disappointed he didn't get Kaye or Osorio (or maybe even Piette) on there in place of Buchanan or Laryea. But I was surprised to see after the game that we had 66% possession, so now I'm less sure I understand what the problem exactly was last night.

I'm feeling pretty down about the result. But I also always new that this should be a wide open competition. I figured you had USA and Mexico at the top, then basically a tie for 3rd best between 5 teams, then El Salvador firmly at the bottom. That was before the Gold Cup. Since then it's seemed more like a 6-way tie for 3rd, and the standings after matchday 1 reflect that. 1 game won/lost, and the other 3 all tied. Yes it hurts a lot because we were at home, but I still hate these hair trigger reactions each time there is a game that doesn't go great.

Teams like El Salvador and Panama won't be pushovers.

I think its fair to criticize Herdman for last night. Calling people stupid for doing that is stupid.

I am sort of tired with how much he is still learning on the job.

26 minutes ago, Kent said:

Our possession stats would have inflated greatly after they scored and just sat everyone behind the ball for large chunks of time while we ineffectively passed the ball around in the space they allowed us, I wondered if we would ever break them down or would they just see the match out!

I'm not ready to panic, and think that though the coach needs to almost always shoulder a disappointing performance it's foolish to call it all over at this point.  Overall, he's done a good job up to this point and deserves an opportunity to make corrections ahead of the next game.  At the end of these three matches, we can take a look at his performance overall.