Herdman new head coach

matty

11 minutes ago, frmr said:

The anti-Herdman crowd crippled with cognitive dissonance right now.

Herdman has done jack and we’ve done the expected by beating the Carribbean minnows. If you wanna still pump Herdman’s tires go ahead.  He hasn’f done the unexpected.   All that matters is a Top 5 finish in the Ocho or better.  We don’t qualify to the World Cup and I hope Herdman resigns because Stephen Hart would’ve got us to Ocho if he didn’t need to face Honduras or Mexico in fhe pre-hex.  You can open this thread up after the Ocho end or if Canada gets knocked out early.

Edited by nolbertos

9 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

Herdman has done jack and we’ve done the expected by beating the Carribbean minnows. If you wanna still pump Herdman’s tires go ahead.  He hasn’f done the unexpected.   All that matters is a Top 5 finish in the Ocho or better.  We don’t qualify to the World Cup and I hope Herdman resigns because Stephen Hart would’ve got us to Ocho if he didn’t need to face Honduras or Mexico in fhe pre-hex.  You can open this thread up after the Ocho end or if Canada gets knocked out early.

You could also do the same and see what results we get when we actually play the ocho games before judging his record. Why is that different?

Edited by Redpunkfiddle

9 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

Yeah no, we get it.

25 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Interesting objective. Why top 5 exactly?

Probably because we just failed to qualify for a top 6 round with less talent, so splashing out at 7-8 is basically the same as what we did last 2 cycles.  5 and up would be a marked improvement...which we should see with better talent....so  I would even go higher.  To be real happy with things I would like to reach 4, the inter federation playoffs, qualifying would get Herdman a wing in the waiters/Osieck hall of fame... scoring a goal in WC, winning a game there means we tear down the statue of Louis Riel in WPG and put up herdman.    That would be well above and beyond what most of us expected with the guys we have.  This is a great night, but we should be getting to this point and winning some games in the Ocho.    

I've been very critical of Herdman, of how he was hired, and his spin. But give him full credit, he did exactly what was asked of him, the team just went through 4 critical games with 4 clean sheets and the results we needed. With relative ease as well. We were ready, we stepped up. There were no serious positional gaffes, the subs were fine, it was all okay. 

So full credit to him. 

Now that we have been on this upwards curve, time to take the next step up. It gets harder from here on in, everything has to improve in the next months. What worked until now cannot be taken as the standard. Sure, our win vs. the US has to give us confidence, that is the level we want to play at always. The loss to the US has to be how we cannot ever manage an away game in the region, gifting it from the get-go. 

I think he has the right mentality to be clear about this. We have to be much better over at least 10-11 of the next 14 matches. We need to have home advantage and benefit from it. We are going to need a full squad and that fixture load will mean missing key players some FIFA windows, so our backups have to be sharp. We probably need Hutch and Arfield in the mix if they can muster it. We need to scratch out some dirty draws away. We are probably going to need 23-25 points, that means winning half our matches, or not losing any more than 4-5-- going to be hard. 

Anyways, congrats Herdman, this is the first time I am pleased with having you coaching us.

7 hours ago, VinceA said:

Herdman has won me over. No matter what happens now he should stay through 2026.

Yeah well if he didn't win me over before, he has now and regardless of whether or not we qualify, he definitely should be maintained from now until 2026 so I echo your very sentiments

53 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Yeah well if he didn't win me over before, he has now and regardless of whether or not we qualify, he definitely should be maintained from now until 2026 so I echo your very sentiments

Ehhh, let’s see how he does in the Ocho before we make any big calls about 2026.  He doesn’t have to qualify for 2022 per say but our overall level of organization and tactical acumen will be important. 

If it doesn’t go well and he wants to stay on as “general manager” and recruit, I’m fine with it . Certainly he’s proven to be a good salesman. But if you want to coach in a bigger stage than the one you’re being trusted with right now, show us you’re capable.

The World Cup on home soil is too critical an opportunity for Canada just to be handed over to someone. Either Herdman makes it or we spend the cash on someone external who is proven.

I'm bullish on our chances in the Oct. This is the first time Canada will be regularly playing high pressure games and a ton of our core is super young. 

So I can't really blame Herdman if things don't go to plan. But we'll see how he lines the team up for our big games.

The players do love him though, probably more than any other coach since the 80s.

Full credit to Herdman. You can see how much the players have bought in. The pure passion for the shirt and country is immense as it should be.

Fair to say he has had the luxury of working with the most talented generation of players we have assembled. He has however clearly managed them well and brought them together with no egos or dissention. 

We are well organized and look like we can manage games. The setup tactical has been sound. This is where we should be so he has met expectation. That is an easy banana skin so credit where it is due.

The Och however is the proving ground. This is where we will see what he and the team are really made of. Like Herdman or not the old car salesman has me invested and signed on the dotted line. Bring it on.

6 hours ago, toontownman said:

Fair to say he has had the luxury of working with the most talented generation of players we have assembled. He has however clearly managed them well and brought them together with no egos or dissention. 

You never really know how "together" a team is until faced with serious adversity and they are going to come up with more of that in the Ocho, so we'll see how it goes.  But Herdman's got the guys on song, so let's keep that momentum going into the fall. 

• 1 month later...