Herdman new head coach

matty

I've got nothing against Herdman, but what has he accomplished as manager that any other manager we could have hired (take your pick) wouldn't have done? I'll give him one win against the US, but this isn't the first Canada team to beat minnows in WCQ and flame out at the Gold Cup. It is one of the most talented to do so. I think it's fair to have some minimum expectations of Canada's placing in the Ocho (top 5?) for him to keep his gig.

If we get to the Octagon and lay an egg, with the talent we have, it would be pretty lame if Canadian Soccer fans didn't hold him accountable

Again I haven't seen anything to think we won't do well 

Edited by SpursFlu

23 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Speaking only for myself, I would just prefer it if we stopped the insults.  Legitimate criticism and questioning coaching decision is fair game but calling him a hobbit seems like a really poor contribution in a national supporter’s group - especially when things are going well. 

It's due to his previous connection to New Zealand.  But for the sake of good Canadian Soccer karma, I'll edit that post. 

Of course not.  In spite of the issues with his hiring, there is no reason to get rid of him at this time if he gets us to the Ocho.

I also can’t say he should be fired if we don’t get a top 4 finish in the Ocho.  To be honest many teams need to experience something first before becoming successful at a higher level and most of our team has not had more than a couple games against tough teams, and none in truly hostile foreign environments.  We may have the talent to get through but experience is lacking for many.

25 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

Of course not.  In spite of the issues with his hiring, there is no reason to get rid of him at this time if he gets us to the Ocho.

I also can’t say he should be fired if we don’t get a top 4 finish in the Ocho.  To be honest many teams need to experience something first before becoming successful at a higher level and most of our team has not had more than a couple games against tough teams, and none in truly hostile foreign environments.  We may have the talent to get through but experience is lacking for many.

I think it's too simple to say that he should be sacked if we don't get top 4. Let's get past Haiti, first. Then, if we're genuinely competitive in the 8, let's make a reasonable analysis of whether he should stay or go. If we completely shit the bed and are effectively eliminated by the mid-point of the final round, though, definitely sack him.

Edited by SthMelbRed
typo

21 hours ago, BigMo said:

Agree, anyone giving him overt praise ( at this stage) has a short memory.  We got a result against Honduras in the last cycle, with a far less talented team. That’s about as impressive as any of our victories under Herdman save for the US win and even that was a slightly more friendly for all intents and purposes.

I remain optimistic about this team but it’s far too early to start handing out awards.  Real progress would be results in the Oct.

How can you be optimistic about the team, without acknowledging the fact he got all these dual-nats to join the program (and run through brick walls for him as Davies says.)  That's also a huge part of his success, along with the wins.

Previous coaches would've lost these guys due of lack of effort and no solid plan.  Say what you want, but Herdman has a plan, he tries different systems, he has them winning and the guys are signing up to the program and giving it their all.

This is success.

Not a Herdman fan at the time of hiring to say the least but he deserves more time. Getting to the Octogonal was the expectation - I think he and the squad need to show well (at least top 5 for example) to say he’s accomplished something to be proud of. 

sure he’s had some failures along the way (gold cup loss to Haiti being the biggest) but people are forgetting the nations league win over the US which was probably our most impressive result in 20 years. 

3 hours ago, narduch said:

Herdman didn't deserve to be hired due to his lack of experience at this level. 

That's why the questions of his suitability will dog him until he proves otherwise. For some of us he still has to prove it.

Just because you disagree with that doesn't mean you have to attack others.

With that logic, no 17-18 year old stars would ever get starts due to not having the experience necessary at qualifying for a World Cup.  He shows confidence in Johnston and Kennedy (the list goes on) and they pay it back.

Canada needed a complete restart and approach for these tournaments.  Herdman came along at the exact right time.  Changing the entire way things were being done was necessary.  Like it or not, this kind of coaching is what works in 2021.  This is the only good decision CSA made in a long time.

45 minutes ago, costarg said:

With that logic, no 17-18 year old stars would ever get starts due to not having the experience necessary at qualifying for a World Cup.  He shows confidence in Johnston and Kennedy (the list goes on) and they pay it back.

Canada needed a complete restart and approach for these tournaments.  Herdman came along at the exact right time.  Changing the entire way things were being done was necessary.  Like it or not, this kind of coaching is what works in 2021.  This is the only good decision CSA made in a long time.

Come on man. That's apples and oranges.

Hiring a manager is not the same thing as capping players.

Besides at least those players had relevant professional experience. 

Edited by narduch

Come on, lets be real, like him or not you give him the cycle to prove what he can do.  What federation would can a guy one year into his term as head coach?  Its crazy to even suggest, let him go through the ocho, see how it goes and see where the program sits...and with him already signed on for next cycle it will take a complete flame out for any kind of real movement on firing him.  Like who fires a coach before he has a chance to prove himself with only vague reasons behind it.  No association should do that.  

2 hours ago, jonovision said:

I've got nothing against Herdman, but what has he accomplished as manager that any other manager we could have hired (take your pick) wouldn't have done? I'll give him one win against the US, but this isn't the first Canada team to beat minnows in WCQ and flame out at the Gold Cup. It is one of the most talented to do so. I think it's fair to have some minimum expectations of Canada's placing in the Ocho (top 5?) for him to keep his gig.

last I checked none of the previous managers were able to convince all the big time players to buy into the process and accept the call up for the exciting prospect of getting to beat up on no name minnows in obscure islands on make shift soccer fields, but okay. He's signed on for 2026, good luck getting rid of him before then, specially if he makes the octo

Look...

You may not have been happy about the circumstances surrounding John Herdman's hiring as CMNT manager 3+ years ago....I get that.

You may have been dissatisfied with John Herdman's qualifications at the time he was hired....I get that.

You may find John Herdman's new-age, motivational speaker management style to be annoying as fuck....I get that.

But...

John Herdman IS the current CMNT manager.

We ARE in the midst of a World Cup qualifying campaign, and performing very well in that campaign.

We HAVE had greater success under John Herdman's tenure in getting high-value dual nationals to commit to Canada, and doing so at younger ages, than we have had under any other manager this century.

If you can't let go of any or all of the first 3 points, or accept the latter 3 points, you may be suffering from issues that need addressing away from this forum. 

13 minutes ago, narduch said:

I don't think his detractors were calling for him to be fired right now. We realize we are stuck with him.

This discussion started because people were heaping praise on him, which is totally premature at this point.

This latest round of discussion started because one guy said "kudos to Herdman" for a particular aspect of the most-recent match, and this triggered a bunch of weirdos who can't get over themselves long enough to just support the team during a crucial week in the future of the entire Canadian men's program.

23 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Come on, lets be real, like him or not you give him the cycle to prove what he can do.  What federation would can a guy one year into his term as head coach?  Its crazy to even suggest, let him go through the ocho, see how it goes and see where the program sits...and with him already signed on for next cycle it will take a complete flame out for any kind of real movement on firing him.  Like who fires a coach before he has a chance to prove himself with only vague reasons behind it.  No association should do that.  

Serious footballing nations who accept nothing less than qualification do just that, time and again. Colombia fired their coach just four games into the current qualifying campaign. Costa Rica just fired their coach after poor Nations League and friendly results. 

8 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

This latest round of discussion started because one guy said "kudos to Herdman" for a particular aspect of the most-recent match, and this triggered a bunch of weirdos who can't get over themselves long enough to just support the team during a crucial week in the future of the entire Canadian men's program.

Everybody on this site is a weirdo quite frankly.

16 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

We HAVE had greater success under John Herdman's tenure in getting high-value dual nationals to commit to Canada, and doing so at younger ages, than we have had under any other manager this century.

Just off the top of my head... 

Floro: Akindele, Hoilett, Arfield, Vitoria

Zambrano: Davies

Herdman: Eustaquio, David, Tabla, Ferreira, Corbeanu 

It's all one process. The pendulum began to swing in our direction starting with Akindele and really ramped up when Davies signed on and then went to Bayern. 

The main factor is 2026, not Herdman.