Atiba Hutchinson

Obinna

I’m really happy that Atiba got his 100th cap and got to finally play in the World Cup.

Against Belgium he was really good.  With short rest between games, he looked his age yesterday.

At his age, he can do it in spurts but not consistently.  I think it’s time for him to hang them up and give way the next generation.

He’s been such a great ambassador for the team all this time.  I wish him nothing but the best.

Atiba was pretty unfortunate in the game yesterday. Was unlucky to have Kamal's clearance go off of him from point blank range and go straight to a Croatian player to set up a goal (1st or 2nd I think?). And unfortunate again that a shot went through his legs for another goal (3rd I think). It could have just as easily been a blocked shot.

Small margins at this level. Congratulations to Atiba on the 100th cap though, amazing accomplishment. Hopefully he can be part of a win on Thursday!

Tons of respect for this man but after closely re-watching this match, he was completely off the pace and exposed defensively in this two man midfield, even in the early stages.  As others (prominent, knowledgeable observers) noted prior to the game and with whom I agree, a third mid may have helped him play a different role while providing two way running.  You could see warning signs in the Belgium game, notably in the 18th when de Bruyne but effed up the chance with a poor pass selection on the counter attack.  Here, the deficiencies were driven home like a stake into sand.

The situation has tones of the 2015 WWC when Herdman persisted with the out of form Sesselmann (who had been out football for a year prior to a couple of months' before the tourney recovering from an ACL rebuild) because he clearly felt she was the best option, in spite of her troubles (including a bad giveaway in the QF loss to England).  With Hutchinson, he felt that the captain was also his best option to start ahead of the other midfielders available.  I wouldn't disagree:  I just felt he and an also unhealthy Staq needed one more pair of midfield legs to carry the load.

Not sure if he is starting on Thursday but he might likely get a final curtain call sub appearance.  I can't see Staq starting.

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

Not sure if he is starting on Thursday but he might likely get a final curtain call sub appearance. I can't see Staq starting.

He’s still under contract with Besiktas until the end of the season. We’re going to try and win a Gold Cup in June. I would be surprised if Morocco is his last hurrah. I hope it isn’t, because he can still be a contributor.

1 minute ago, Jack1997 said:

Love the man but he should’nt be a starter anymore. Probably his last season so we won’t have to worry about him anymore and I hope he goes into a role with the NT or with beskitkas and helps recruit some Canadian boys to go over to turkey.

He needs to get at least one more home game before he retires.

I'm on the side of thinking that the world cup is the best way to play your final game for your country. Seems better than retiring after a gold cup that's being hosted in the US yet again. Why not have your last memories of playing internationally be playing in front a bunch of your travelling fans, possibly getting your country's first ever world cup win?

1 minute ago, PiedPilko said:

Don't Forget, you're here Forever - YouTube

Obviously that’s contingent on Atiba’s desire to play, his fitness, and how Herdman or his replacement views the importance of winning the Gold Cup vs. blooding in the new generation. But if we’re trying to win before refocusing on 2026, then he deserves to be there on the merit of his play.

1 hour ago, sebdeserio said:

Atiba should be a supersub from now on, at least against teams we aren't clearly better than. In his 30 minute cameo he made key contributions on both sides of the pitch, without having to worry about running out of gas. Kone and Eustaquio should be our 2 moving forward.

Yup watching him today his minutes should have been better managed in the two games versus Belgium and Croatia, he was very effective when he came on today . 

1 hour ago, SoccMan said:

Yup watching him today his minutes should have been better managed in the two games versus Belgium and Croatia, he was very effective when he came on today . 

Should have being the big part of that statement.  As KJ said, herdman didnt trust his other mids...then once we were eliminated he used Kaye/Witherspoon etc.  But you are 100% on the money, if Atiba had been 1 start, and 2 30min subs it would have been more effective for canada. 

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, jordan said:

Turkey

Atiba Hutchinson starts vs Gaziantep FK.

Played the first half

Nice.

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

I mean that is an improvement from 29 minutes last time lool

True. That was a Cup game, just like the match he played right before the World Cup so I think this has been his first minutes in the Super Lig this season.

It is a Merry Christmas after all. :)

• 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, narduch said:

Hutchinson on the bench for Besiktas v Ankaragücü in the Turkish Cup Round of 16

11 hours ago, VinceA said:

got the dreaded "missed a penalty" notification from Fotmob concerning Atiba. Guessing his team is in penalties.

11 hours ago, narduch said:

Yup.

Tied 1-1.

Atiba subbed on in the 103rd minute.

Edit: Besiktas were eliminated 4-3 on penalties.

Tough day for Atiba.

- - - - - -

Made his senior #CanMNT debut 20 years ago today.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, VinceA said:

https://canadiansoccerdaily.com/2023/02/16/besiktas-reportedly-terminate-canmnt-legend-atiba-hutchinsons-contract/ There are reports coming out of Turkey that Atiba's contract has been terminated early.

Just in time for one final season at home.  Even just as a rotational player, his leadership is needed. 🤞

Edited by Corazon