Atiba Hutchinson

Obinna

This just goes to show how cutthroat the business is.  Atiba is, by all accounts, revered at Bestikas, and I thought if he wanted to he would announce his retirement and walk right into a front office or coaching role with the team.  If he is being let go and not of his own accord that would truly be a shitty way to end his absolutely beautiful career.  I hope that if this is true he okayed some part in the decision and perhaps wants to return to the MLS to play this summer ahead of the Gold Cup and one last chance to lift a trophy for our country, an opportunity he so rightly deserves.

Is there any reason he would be interested in playing in MLS? I assume this is probably his last season either way, and it isn't like he's training for a major tournament like Bale was when he signed for LA, and it isn't like he needs a quick paycheck either.

Would also be strange if he spearheads a campaign to raise funds for Turkey only to immediately jump abroad the following week. My guess is he focuses on the fundraiser, or takes a staff job at Besiktas.

Just now, InglewoodJack said:

Is there any reason he would be interested in playing in MLS? I assume this is probably his last season either way, and it isn't like he's training for a major tournament like Bale was when he signed for LA, and it isn't like he needs a quick paycheck either.

Would also be strange if he spearheads a campaign to raise funds for Turkey only to immediately jump abroad the following week. My guess is he focuses on the fundraiser, or takes a staff job at Besiktas.

Unless he wants one more shot at the Gold Cup? Would that even move him?

Just have a feeling he will retire.

Just now, narduch said:

Unless he wants one more shot at the Gold Cup? Would that even move him?

Just have a feeling he will retire.

I don’t know how much appeal the GC would have for him- he’s 40, he just experienced the trauma of his adopted country being wrecked by a generational disaster, the NT is feuding with the federation, his mind is probably not on soccer right now, I think retirement is just a lot more appealing for where Atiba is at right now.

50 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I don’t know how much appeal the GC would have for him- he’s 40, he just experienced the trauma of his adopted country being wrecked by a generational disaster, the NT is feuding with the federation, his mind is probably not on soccer right now, I think retirement is just a lot more appealing for where Atiba is at right now.

Mostly agree with this.

I wonder though if he would be saddened to go out like this - being forced out of contract due to a disaster outside of his control. Maybe there is a small part of him that'd like to give back to the game in Canada by playing for York or TFC for one more final season. Giving his family, friends and fans back home an opportunity to celebrate his career by seeing him play one more final club season.

I doubt it happens, since he is fully entrenched in Turkey, but I just wonder.....

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Mostly agree with this.

I wonder though if he would be saddened to go out like this - being forced out of contract due to a disaster outside of his control. Maybe there is a small part of him that'd like to give back to the game in Canada by playing for York or TFC for one more final season. Giving his family, friends and fans back home an opportunity to celebrate his career by seeing him play one more final club season.

I doubt it happens, since he is fully entrenched in Turkey, but I just wonder.....

I wouldn't put it past a club to cut a club legend in such an unceremonious way, but a big part of me feels that this was part of a discussion with Atiba. He knows his playing days are close to being over, he's been playing fewer minutes this year, they probably told him that realistically, he won't play much and that they're hoping to shore up their team with some of the players who have just been made available given the disaster.

If he does play again, I would see him playing for Simcoe County, because he holds an ownership stake and that would be a pretty cool thing for the fans. That said, Atiba never struck me as the type of guy who wants to hang on to a career at all costs. Probably not the right word, but he feels too "classy" to fade away, I don't think there's much left for him in his career that he hasn't accomplished yet.

1 minute ago, InglewoodJack said:

I wouldn't put it past a club to cut a club legend in such an unceremonious way, but a big part of me feels that this was part of a discussion with Atiba. He knows his playing days are close to being over, he's been playing fewer minutes this year, they probably told him that realistically, he won't play much and that they're hoping to shore up their team with some of the players who have just been made available given the disaster.

If he does play again, I would see him playing for Simcoe County, because he holds an ownership stake and that would be a pretty cool thing for the fans. That said, Atiba never struck me as the type of guy who wants to hang on to a career at all costs. Probably not the right word, but he feels too "classy" to fade away, I don't think there's much left for him in his career that he hasn't accomplished yet.

Playing for Simcoe county would be a nice way to round it out. Good points as well besides that one. 

57 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I agree and I would bet that both Atiba & Besiktas likely only renewed this season because of the December World Cup.  Atiba needed to remain active and ready for the World Cup and Besiktas likely gave him the contract solely on his legendary status at the club so I doubt this is any sort of terrible breakup.  If the World Cup was held in the summer I would bet that Atiba would be retired right now and would have rode off into the sunset after the World Cup.

7 hours ago, Corazon said:

I agree and I would bet that both Atiba & Besiktas likely only renewed this season because of the December World Cup.  Atiba needed to remain active and ready for the World Cup and Besiktas likely gave him the contract solely on his legendary status at the club so I doubt this is any sort of terrible breakup.  If the World Cup was held in the summer I would bet that Atiba would be retired right now and would have rode off into the sunset after the World Cup.

I also think Besiktas wanted some of that World Cup cash each clubs gets when a player is called.

18 hours ago, Obinna said:

It's in Toronto as well, so a proper setting for a farewell match, with some nice pregame acknowledgements of his career and such. 

For me, I’d like to see him there but first to find a club with the intent to finish the year - maybe even a last gold cup. I just don’t think bringing an unattached player for a send off in a potentially crucial match is professional. 

2 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

For me, I’d like to see him there but first to find a club with the intent to finish the year - maybe even a last gold cup. I just don’t think bringing an unattached player for a send off in a potentially crucial match is professional. 

Unless it’s a friendly.  A friendly game before Nations League would be a great send off for Atiba.  Most CONCACAF members have already scheduled a friendly or two even before their March Nations League games.

15 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I would buy 3 additional season tickets if he came to Atletico.  But I could say 300 season tickets as well because there’s no chance he’s coming to Ottawa to play on turf.

EDIT: I know they are kidding.

MAYBE if a future coaching and front office proposal is included who knows what will happen.😉