Atiba Hutchinson

Obinna

45 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Agreed. Will he get minutes though?

He will get at least *A* minute, guaranteed.  He's going on that field even if it's for a meaningless minute at the end of the game and all he can do is limp around.  They're letting him step on the field in a World Cup game.

2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

He will get at least *A* minute, guaranteed.  He's going on that field even if it's for a meaningless minute at the end of the game and all he can do is limp around.  They're letting him step on the field in a World Cup game.

I think only if we are effectively out of the World Cup at the end of the match against Morocco does that happen. This is the World Cup  No time for sentimentality. 

Based on what we are hearing, he is / has recovered but not sure that transpires into minutes with his club side. Frankly, I am glad they are playing a third Divison side as that seems a great match to start in. If he gets a sub experience in another one and is allowed to play for us against Bahrain and then start against Japan, that might be the best prep we can hope for him at this stage. And perhaps enough for him to get himself ready to start against Belgium even if he can’t go the full 90.

And hopefully, Osorio is ready to start against Bahrain and perhaps Japan so he can get ready as well.

2 hours ago, An Observer said:

I think only if we are effectively out of the World Cup at the end of the match against Morocco does that happen. This is the World Cup  No time for sentimentality. 

They've talked so much about "the brotherhood" the last few years.  At Euro 2020(1), Mancini made sure that every Italian got on the field for at least some time, stating that in his only chance to play at a major tournament he didn't get on the field and what that felt like.  So maybe it wouldn't be until the Morocco game, but there is absolutely time for some sentimentality for a player who has given his all for Canada through some of the darkest days of the program.  

Edited by Watchmen

4 hours ago, Watchmen said:

They've talked so much about "the brotherhood" the last few years.  At Euro 2020(1), Mancini made sure that every Italian got on the field for at least some time, stating that in his only chance to play at a major tournament he didn't get on the field and what that felt like.  So maybe it wouldn't be until the Morocco game, but there is absolutely time for some sentimentality for a player who has given his all for Canada through some of the darkest days of the program.  

He must have meant play at a World Cup, because Mancini not only saw the field at Euro88 he also scored Italy’s opening goal in that tournament against West Germany in a 1-1 draw. In fact, it might have been the opening goal of the whole tourney.  

30 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

He must have meant play at a World Cup, because Mancini not only saw the field at Euro88 he also scored Italy’s opening goal in that tournament against West Germany in a 1-1 draw. In fact, it might have been the opening goal of the whole tourney.  

I'm pretty sure he said in interviews that it was about not playing a minute at Italia '90.

On 10/29/2022 at 7:09 PM, Watchmen said:

@Gian-Luca might remember this from way back in WC 82, but Bearzot gave his veteran winger Franco Causio (who had been supplanted by Bruno Conti) the final minutes of the World Cup victory that year (though I believe he did also sub in one prior tourney game).

So, I agree that Hutchinson will see the field.

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

@Gian-Luca might remember this from way back in WC 82, but Bearzot gave his veteran winger Franco Causio (who had been supplanted by Bruno Conti) the final minutes of the World Cup victory that year (though I believe he did also sub in one prior tourney game).

So, I agree that Hutchinson will see the field.

Yeah, he played the 2nd half against Peru, replacing Rossi (the only time he was subbed out in the tourney). But the sub at the end of the final itself was definitely a sentimental move to allow him to play in the final as he had been a favourite of the team and the coach throughout the 70s. One of the reasons it was obvious is that he replaced Altobelli, who himself had been substituted on (albeit something like 7 or 8 minutes into the game after Graziani re-aggravated his injury that he sustained by running into a Polish brick wall wearing a #5 jersey that moved in front of him in the semi-final).

On 10/29/2022 at 10:09 PM, Watchmen said:

There's actually a Canadian precedence for this. George Pakos, who scored a couple of vital goals to qualify Canada for Mexico '86, wasn't on the field until Canada's final World Cup match against the USSR. He came on as a sub in the 68th minute — scant reward for all that he did to get the team there, but at least he got to play in a World Cup finals match.

I know this is cutting it really close. And the odds of him being fully match fit by the end of the month are clearly not great, but this is a pretty big deal.  Along with Oso (who will be given every opportunity to prove his readiness in the friendly) getting them back would be such a huge improvement over the play-whoever-is-fit approach it last Ike’s like a bit ago.   

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I know this is cutting it really close. And the odds of him being fully match fit by the end of the month are clearly not great, but this is a pretty big deal.  Along with Oso (who will be given every opportunity to prove his readiness in the friendly) getting them back would be such a huge improvement over the play-whoever-is-fit approach it last Ike’s like a bit ago.   

Jeeze, man, I got a stroke trying to decipher that last part.

47 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Jeeze, man, I got a stroke trying to decipher that last part.

Lol.  I should prob proof read my posts.  But I am going to leave it because it represents my thought process.  

On another note, it says a lot about PEI that @CanadianTraveller saw some guy at the airport wearing CSA gear and asked me if I was Dyslexic Nam.   Cool to meet you in person man. 

11 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Even though they may be ready, you can't force them into 90 minutes either vs Bahrain, or even starting vs Japan. You risk re-injury.  

So even if they are ready you won't be able to judge it very well without a few matches and easing into form.

I know neither is likely to go 90 minutes - either in the buildup matches or at the WC - but I would take 60 minutes in Qatar from either of them.  Both are top choice  mids in our setup and as much as I like Kone I would rather him as a sub versus a world class midfield.   

Edited by dyslexic nam