WCQ: Canada vs Haiti - In-Match Thread

Big_M

3 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am not worried about the way we got the first goal.  The reality is that we were all over them. JD with three rapid fire shots in a 3 second span.  A goal line clearance on Victoria’s bullet header.  Plenty of chances.  The fact that we didn’t cash is just the way it was tonight.  On another night, we bang in 2 or 3 of them.  

And the fact that they didn’t happen to go in can’t be pinned on JH.  If anything, the fact that we had that many chances is a plus when it comes to coaching.  

I think the fact they had so many chances is because Davies and David are enormously talented with a strong supporting cast, and has less to do with the coaching. It's back to back games where the team has started slow and tentative, and more talented teams (ie virtually everyone in the octo) will be more punishing of it. It was a Haiti team missing some its best players that held Canada tight enough until a miss play of the year contender forced them to open up a bit more.

We'll see what happens. At the very least, I'm excited to watch meaningful games in the year leading up to the World Cup for the first time in forever. 

4 hours ago, king1010 said:

Ah man. I feel for him so bad. 

It happens when you take your eyes off the ball and end up kicking air.  The keeper will need bodyguards upon returning home.

Edited by The Ref

6 hours ago, grigorio said:

Borjan got outborjan’d lol damn. That’s sad. 

Just had to say it: Borjan spent the end of the first half destroying that area of the box. He kicked the crap out of it.

Okay, I am making this up, but it was fairly rough considering the rest of the pitch was smooth. 

It was simply a lack of game sharpness, but even then, you have to feel for him and I do. I wish we had just put a few away 1st half to make that OG less important for us overall. 

About Canadians for Haiti, I see Cantave was on the bench but did not play. Wish them all well.

The only thing slightly dampening the euphoria today is that some football sites, over here even, have picked up on the own goal and I still feel a bit bad for that keeper.  

https://www.givemesport.com/1707735-worst-own-goal-in-football-history-haitis-nightmare-clanger-in-world-cup-qualifier

But then I remember, there but for the grace of God, go ( and went) us.

I just thought that I would post up Canada's Octagonal schedule and when I saw our schedule unveiled via Instagram...I was looking at the schedule of our games to be played in September, October, November, January and March and I loved our schedule to be honest

10 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

The only thing slightly dampening the euphoria today is that some football sites, over here even, have picked up on the own goal and I still feel a bit bad for that keeper.  

https://www.givemesport.com/1707735-worst-own-goal-in-football-history-haitis-nightmare-clanger-in-world-cup-qualifier

Its the most watch clipped on One Soccer's twitter by a wide margin. Over 1 million views.

Most of their other clips get a couple of thousand views at most.

Edit: 2.4 million views now.

Edited by narduch

Placide's last club match with Selo Sofia was on May 23. That would have given him ample time to fly back to Haiti and not have to worry about the US's 14 day travel ban for people coming from Europe. This is an administrative failure on the Haiti FA.

Duverger is on Vitoria Setubal in Portugal. He isn't even a starter I believe. Plus due to covid the season was canceled in October. So he was probably rusty as fuck.

Also tired of seeing comments that Duverger was on the take because he was born in Canada. If he loved Canada that much he would have held out for the CMNT. Plus nobody really knew Placide wouldn't play until the last minute. Meaning there wouldn't even have been much time for an illegal betting ring to approach Duverger.

8 minutes ago, narduch said:

Its the most watch clipped on One Soccer's twitter by a wide margin. Over 1 million views.

Most of their other clips get a couple of thousand views at most.

Edit: 2.4 million views now.

Yeah, places like the Sun have it as a story, so it is decent-sized news even in a sea of football news.  I am  just trying to deflect with my West Ham mates and remind them that I said we should sign the guy chasing the ball down, a couple years ago. 

4 minutes ago, narduch said:

Placide's last club match with Selo Sofia was on May 23. That would have given him ample time to fly back to Haiti and not have to worry about the US's 14 day travel ban for people coming from Europe. This is an administrative failure on the Haiti FA.

Duverger is on Vitoria Setubal in Portugal. He isn't even a starter I believe. Plus due to covid the season was canceled in October. So he was probably rusty as fuck.

Also tired of seeing comments that Duverger was on the take because he was born in Canada. If he loved Canada that much he would have held out for the CMNT. Plus nobody really knew Placide wouldn't play until the last minute. Meaning there wouldn't even have been much time for an illegal betting ring to approach Duverger.

Yeah heard it from Haitian supporters going back and forth with them on social media

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

And OneSoccer tagged a bunch of accounts around the world to try and get it going viral. Tweet has been deleted now but it just didn't look good on their part.

5 hours ago, narduch said:

Yeah, the amount of people online who are claiming this looks like an intentional mistake is just idiotic. I don’t think you could repeat that accidental miskick with the instep foot if you rehearsed it a million times 

For everyone hating on Wheeler, do you remember Forrest during these games? He was the polar opposite. Bashing Canada endlessly it was so demoralizing listening to those broadcasts. Was depressing enough watching a lot of those games didn't need Forrest jabbering on all match about how poor and not good enough everything was that we saw. 

39 minutes ago, grigorio said:

For everyone hating on Wheeler, do you remember Forrest during these games? He was the polar opposite. Bashing Canada endlessly it was so demoralizing listening to those broadcasts. Was depressing enough watching a lot of those games didn't need Forrest jabbering on all match about how poor and not good enough everything was that we saw. 

The real sad part about Forrest's criticisms was that he was right.

1 hour ago, grigorio said:

That's because we were poor and not good enough on too many ocassions.  Can't polish a turd.